Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
HELP!

I've been bitten by the filevault bug, and now I can't even log into my user account to try to get my data!

When I try to boot up, I get an error saying I don't have sufficient permissions to access my own user folder, so I can't access anything.

Any advice would be more than welcome at this point... oh and... don't enable FileVault, needless to say.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I'll pass along what I've heard. File Vault is supposed to be okay as long as you don't let it reclaim space--that's what messes it up. Only cure I've heard of is reformat/reinstall.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
FileVault recovered space 3 times on my laptop...no issues whatsoever. I went ahead and deactivated it just to be safe, for now.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Wow thank god I haven't used it yet..What do you have on your computer thats sooo important?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Personal data. School work. Lots.

For laptop owners, FileVault is a great way to secure data that could be lost if the laptop gets stolen.

One of the main forces behind FileVault was the US government and its needs for data encryption.

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
Originally posted by iEric
Wow thank god I haven't used it yet..What do you have on your computer thats sooo important?

Work data... sensitive e-mail... confidential information on a notebook that I carry with me everywhere I go.

Like Rower, I got away with a few reclaims of space... but then things went to hell real quick.

Fortunately, after logging in as another (Non-Filevaulted) user and repairing disk permissions, I was at least able to mount my main user account long enough to decrypt my home folder with seemingly (so far) very little loss of data. Just calendards for iCal lost (so far) -- I hope I don't find anything else DOA.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Re: HELP! Bitten by Filevault bug!

Originally posted by Totalshock
I've been bitten by the filevault bug, and now I can't even log into my user account to try to get my data!

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :D

But seriously, what kind of bug are you talking about? I didn't encounter any problems so far.

groovebuster

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
No problems reclaiming space here either. On my laptop, I did it maybe 5-6 times before I did a clean install due to other issues from "upgrading". On my desktop, I only had the reclaim space issue come up after the 6th or so time I shutdown the computer after I enabled File Vault. Needless to say, I'm not using it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.