Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrahm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
anyone know what the memory and HD limit i can upgrade this machine to? thanks!

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
If I'm not mistaken its 320GB of HD and 2GB of RAM. I have 2GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM 160GB HD in my mini and that bastard is a little screamer for what it is.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
anyone know what the memory and HD limit i can upgrade this machine to? thanks!

It can take two 1 gig PC5300 SO-DIMMs and it can take a 500 gig hard drive internally (the largest currently available), and a hell of a lot larger than that externally. I have two 1 TB drives connected to mine. A firewire media drive and a USB Time Machine drive.

If you want to hack it, you can attach an internal SATA cable to an eSATA port out the back, and connect it to a 1 TB 3.5" eSATA drive. Of course, you lose your internal drive doing this and you'll only get 1.5 gbps, since that's what the controller can do.

acrahm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
thanks for all the help guys! if i have an extra 500 gb external (usb) is there a need to upgrade the 80gb internal on the mini?

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
It just depends. With my 7200 Hitachi and my RAM my mini boots really fast. That said I never restart it. Its alway sleeps. Its just good to have when I am rendering photos in lightroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.