Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Well, i just can't get quite excited about the take two... i only like the airtunes feature...

but that's not my point. my question is... is the screensaver different in take 2 from the standard 1.0 and 1.1. versions?

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Well, i just can't get quite excited about the take two... i only like the airtunes feature...

but that's not my point. my question is... is the screensaver different in take 2 from the standard 1.0 and 1.1. versions?

I miss the simple floating :apple: as a screensaver.
Why would they take that away???

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
I miss the simple floating :apple: as a screensaver.
Why would they take that away???

I liked the floating apple too. I'd like to see the cover art screen saver be interactive...as you see an album cover float by, you can navigate to it and the aTV brings you to that album. How many times have u seen a cover and said "I haven't listened to that in years!! oh great, now i have to click, click, click to find it..."

Also the large, foreground covers are too large and cover the others. when the screen twirls, it sound land in a different spot amongst the covers. we've seen *incredible* things from Core animation in demos and such...why not here? for example in the RSS Screensaver on the mac, it has great dynamic background effects...it looks so cool! So basically we would be floating in a sea of covers and it wold randomly put you in a spot when it twirls!

...in addition to other screen savers too...like RSS, the mosaic...c'mon, aTV is just a Mac inside!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I think the addition of an RSS screensaver would be great for the Apple TV. Set it to CNN headline news, or local weather, and your device just became that much more useful.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
How come after all these years we havent seen the itunes city screensaver in the OS or AppleTV?

It is probably because the Apple TV and lower-end Macs do not have the grunt to do it smoothly. I would love to be proven wrong by a software update.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, I think the addition of an RSS screensaver would be great for the Apple TV. Set it to CNN headline news, or local weather, and your device just became that much more useful.

I second that! Would be great to catch up on news while watching a screen saver.

My2c

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
It is probably because the Apple TV and lower-end Macs do not have the grunt to do it smoothly. I would love to be proven wrong by a software update.

What is the RAM, processor speed etc on the Apple TV? Same as mac mini? And that the lower-end macs do not have these screensavers on them?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
What is the RAM, processor speed etc on the Apple TV? Same as mac mini?

It is a last-gen low-end Intel processor with a single core. Not sure what the RAM is but I guess 512 MB or lower. The software is based on OS X and it is optimised to run well on such a low-end system.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It is a last-gen low-end Intel processor with a single core. Not sure what the RAM is but I guess 512 MB or lower. The software is based on OS X and it is optimised to run well on such a low-end system.

Even lower, 256MB.

Processor Intel[1] 1.0 GHz "Crofton" Processor
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 (64 MB VRAM)
Memory 256 MiB of 400 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_tv

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Is the RAM upgradable?

My guess is that it is soldered on the motherboard like the RAM in the MacBook Air so no. In any case, it would not make any difference in performance because unlike a normal Mac you are only running one application on the Apple TV and that's the interface.

usarcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Maine, USA
I would like to see the iTunes visualizer. It should have plenty of power to pump that out if my Ti Powerbook G4 500 can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.