PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious - How much is my mac worth...

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 04:08 AM
I just bought a new PowerBook and I don't think i need my old G3 MiniTower anymore. I haven't decided to sell it but I am thinking about it. Here is all the info...

Power Macintosh G3 333mhz Minitower
3 GB HD (if I sold it I would keep my current 200gb and 80gb HDs)
512mb RAM
10/100 PCI Ethernet Card
Spare UW SCSI card
3 port FireWire Card
2 port USB Card (one port is damaged)
Has Mac OS X Jaguar and Mac OS 9
Has IDE and SCSI internal ports.
24x CD-ROM IDE Drive
IDE Iomega Zip 100 Drive
Floppy Disk Drive
ADB Keyboard and Mouse
Ports on Machine:
10base ethernet port
ADB
Printer Serial
Modem Serial
SCSI 25 pin (I think)
Mac Monitor port
RCA (yellow, white, red)
Video In and Out
S-Video in and Out
Sound Line in
Microphone port

That's all I can think of

So what do guys think it's worth?
I paid $399 for it...hehe :)

chicagdan
Nov 6, 2003, 08:21 AM
Sell it piece by piece on eBay, you'll probably end up with a healthy profit.

tazo
Nov 6, 2003, 08:35 AM
sell it piece by piece:p Otherwise people will just see the processor and think 200 dollars ;)

jayscheuerle
Nov 6, 2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
I just bought a new PowerBook and I don't think i need my old G3 MiniTower anymore. I haven't decided to sell it but I am thinking about it. Here is all the info...

Power Macintosh G3 333mhz Minitower
3 GB HD (if I sold it I would keep my current 200gb and 80gb HDs)
512mb RAM
10/100 PCI Ethernet Card
Spare UW SCSI card
3 port FireWire Card
2 port USB Card (one port is damaged)
Has Mac OS X Jaguar and Mac OS 9
Has IDE and SCSI internal ports.
24x CD-ROM IDE Drive
IDE Iomega Zip 100 Drive
Floppy Disk Drive
ADB Keyboard and Mouse
Ports on Machine:
10base ethernet port
ADB
Printer Serial
Modem Serial
SCSI 25 pin (I think)
Mac Monitor port
RCA (yellow, white, red)
Video In and Out
S-Video in and Out
Sound Line in
Microphone port

That's all I can think of

So what do guys think it's worth?
I paid $399 for it...hehe :)

Well, the video ports are useless with OSX. The machine (beige, right?), won't run Panther. The hard drive is to small to even install Jaguar...

I'd say sub $300...

joshuwa72
Nov 6, 2003, 10:47 AM
im kinda in the same boat.

just ordered my first mac, so im going to be probably selling my pc on ebay.

its a 757 mhz AMD Duron, 384 mb RAM, 20gig HD, 48x CD-ROM....

I just have no idea what to even consider for a price on it.

I was thinking around $300

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 11:40 AM
hey I tried to install Jaguar, does that help? ;) Well maybe I will sell it piece by piece. I have a 9 gig UW SCSI drive that goes with the card but I think the drive is going so I replaced it with an IDE one. I love the mac but I don't use it much...I'll think about it. I might be able to get $400 if I sell it piece by piece :D

I can tell yah now, this is a great Mac OS 9 machine :)

Thanks guys

jayscheuerle
Nov 6, 2003, 11:56 AM
hey I tried to install Jaguar, does that help? ;) Well maybe I will sell it piece by piece. I have a 9 gig UW SCSI drive that goes with the card but I think the drive is going so I replaced it with an IDE one. I love the mac but I don't use it much...I'll think about it. I might be able to get $400 if I sell it piece by piece :D

I can tell yah now, this is a great Mac OS 9 machine :)

Thanks guys

Toss a 40 gig drive in there and you have a great CD jukebox with iTunes. Run OS9 on it @ 640x480 and use the AV out ports to send the visuals to your TV.

I've got my beige box with mirrored 80's in it running 10.2 with 400+ CDs converted to mp3s. I wish it would die so I could get a box to run Panther as Fast User Switching would rock for my families multi user setting...

You might not get much for it, but it's still a great machine!

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Toss a 40 gig drive in there and you have a great CD jukebox with iTunes. Run OS9 on it @ 640x480 and use the AV out ports to send the visuals to your TV.

I've got my beige box with mirrored 80's in it running 10.2 with 400+ CDs converted to mp3s. I wish it would die so I could get a box to run Panther as Fast User Switching would rock for my families multi user setting...

You might not get much for it, but it's still a great machine!

Sounds like a plan ;)

scmacdaddy
Nov 6, 2003, 12:20 PM
i was thinking about selling my ibook and wondering how mush it would be worth...i think it would be a sweet to have a section dedicated to this to let people know how much their macs are probably worth...like the buyer's guide, but opposite, The Mac Seller's Guide. sort of like a blue book for macs.

anubis
Nov 6, 2003, 12:26 PM
I've got a beige 266mhz powermac G3 desktop (overclocked to 300mhz... ahh, the good old days of easy overclocking and warranty voidage). I've got 2 60 gig hard drives and about 13,000 mp3s on it, running a slightly old version of itunes, and mac os 9. G3s are pimp for using as mp3 jukeboxes. My G3 is die hard, I've had it for I think 6-7 years now and it's still going strong, even after a lot of abuse. My friend has an IBM peecee that's also 6-7 years old, and she can't do crap with it! It sucks too much to even listen to streaming mp3 radio. That's what I love about macs: solid and reliable for a LOOOOONG time. I figure I'll keep my G3 around for at least another 3 years.

leet1
Nov 6, 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by anubis
I've got a beige 266mhz powermac G3 desktop (overclocked to 300mhz... ahh, the good old days of easy overclocking and warranty voidage).

Cool, never heard of someone overclocking a Mac. Know if anyone has overclocked a G5?

jayscheuerle
Nov 6, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by leet1
Cool, never heard of someone overclocking a Mac. Know if anyone has overclocked a G5?

Beige boxes were jumper easy. Popped mine from 333 to 400!

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 02:30 PM
I have a great Idea :D I'll make my mac a jukebox! I have the Mac, I have the KeySpan remote, and iTunes via OS 9 for the TV, sounds sweet :) I need new batteries for the remote so for now I can use a keyboard and mouse.

Counterfit
Nov 6, 2003, 02:49 PM
Beige boxes were jumper easy. Popped mine from 333 to 400! I'd love to do that myself, but I'm not sure if having a CPU from a B&W (400MHz) would change the process...

LimeiBook86: I'm assuming that the 3GB drive isn't in use right now, seeing has there isn't a real spot for it. three removable media drives, plus two HD's will take up all the room in the beige.

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 03:34 PM
Ok I have a very small monitor maybe like 12" hooked up to it. It is running Mac OS X.2 and iTunes. It shares music from the other macs on the network and the computer can be controled remotley via VNC. I love this, hee hee. Now I have more workspace upstairs. Thanks for your help guys. :D

I'll post pics once I sync my iDisk...it takes forever!

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
I'd love to do that myself, but I'm not sure if having a CPU from a B&W (400MHz) would change the process...

LimeiBook86: I'm assuming that the 3GB drive isn't in use right now, seeing has there isn't a real spot for it. three removable media drives, plus two HD's will take up all the room in the beige.
Well, see I have a 200GB in one of the front bays, with the 80GB in another front bay (where the zip should be, I took it out for now) and I have a DVD-ROM in the computer (the 24x is out of the G3 and is in a box for now) I can put a hard drive in the floppy drive bay (which is emtey now) I can also put a HD above the power supply where the original HD is but sometimes the metal rack rattles and makes noise. :cool:

jayscheuerle
Nov 6, 2003, 04:35 PM
Well, see I have a 200GB in one of the front bays, with the 80GB in another front bay (where the zip should be, I took it out for now) and I have a DVD-ROM in the computer (the 24x is out of the G3 and is in a box for now) I can put a hard drive in the floppy drive bay (which is emtey now) I can also put a HD above the power supply where the original HD is but sometimes the metal rack rattles and makes noise. :cool:

Oh yeah, you're flying now!

Can't beat the beige towers for space inside. I've had 3 hard drives, an optical and a zip or 2 hard drives, 2 opticals and a zip for sometime. I just wish the bezel plates were easier to come by...

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 05:03 PM
...I just wish the bezel plates were easier to come by...

Exactly! eBay is good but expensive...:)

Counterfit
Nov 6, 2003, 06:59 PM
I see. Can I use standard ATA cables in the beige? Because right now my optical drive isn't hooked up.

applemacdude
Nov 6, 2003, 09:21 PM
200-250

Dippo
Nov 6, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by joshuwa72
im kinda in the same boat.

just ordered my first mac, so im going to be probably selling my pc on ebay.

its a 757 mhz AMD Duron, 384 mb RAM, 20gig HD, 48x CD-ROM....

I just have no idea what to even consider for a price on it.

I was thinking around $300

Sadly, you would be lucky to get $100...

LimeiBook86
Nov 6, 2003, 11:29 PM
ATA or IDE cables? Should work fine. I used some ATA cables for the IDE drive. If I'm not mistaken it is all the same connection. :)

Counterfit
Nov 7, 2003, 01:20 AM
Hmm, I'll look again, but it seemed to me that due to the rotating and bending necessary, normal cables weren't quite right.