Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I've been putting it off but really need to buy the full version of CS3. I'd like so save some money on this purchase if at all possible. So far, $569 is the best I've been able to find from an online retailer with a good reputation.

I just wanted to ask if any of you had other suggestions before I pull the trigger at this price. I'm not a student so I can't go that route.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just wanted to ask if any of you had other suggestions before I pull the trigger at this price. I'm not a student so I can't go that route.

Check out upgrade pricing. I think if you first buy "Elements" and then upgrade you save some money. Also if you want a Wacom graphic tablet Elements in bundled so you get it almost free, if you want the tablet.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
$569 is a pretty good price. But doing an upgrade from an earlier version (CS or newer) or from elements might save you some money over that price.

SLC

dengar169

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
I've been putting it off but really need to buy the full version of CS3. I'd like so save some money on this purchase if at all possible. So far, $569 is the best I've been able to find from an online retailer with a good reputation.

Is that price for the Academic version?

Naim135

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
How Much!

Since the price differential between the US and the UK has been brought up perhaps now is as good a time to suggest that everyone downloads a copy of CS3 for one of the many torrent sites out there as a way of protest, after all if apple can release the sonic equivalent of CS3 (Logic) and charge a reasonable amount on both sides of the Atlantic. I am not advocating you try and install it just download a copy, Im sure Adobe must have some idea how many downloaded copies are out there. So send a message to Adobe make it a reasonable price or else.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
You can actually upgrade to CS3 from as far back as Photoshop 7. Upgrade from anything older and you are charged more for the upgrade (nearly the full price). You can try and get a copy of v.7 off eBay for a good price - good luck, though. Most people know this route so versions of 7 can still go for quite a bit. It will still save you money, however...

If you do buy off eBay it is good to ask if they will do this:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/support/service/transowner.html

It applies in the US as well. I asked a umber of sellers this, and it turned out they did not know where the software was from in the first place, they had got it from a friend etc so couldn't transfer the licence!!! Good chance not a legit copy.

I got fed up trying to find a cheap route in the end and just paid the retail price. It is such a great piece of software (which I use all the time), I can live with spending £100 extra for it being fully legit.

savantcreative

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
New York
Do you own Studio 8

If you own other Adobe products like Studio 8 there are other upgrade pathways that may be lee expensive. Check their site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.