PDA

View Full Version : MacDonalds to give away 1 billion tunes?

billyboy
Nov 6, 2003, 08:08 AM
http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2003/11/06/rtr1137880.html

"McDonald's plans to give away up to 1 billion songs to customers after PepsiCo announced a deal to give away 100 million downloads from Apple's iTunes music service..."

Wow, that is one mega deal

SH** I just read the article again, it sounds as though this is an Apple- MacDonalds deal, not a competing deal

applemacdude
Nov 6, 2003, 08:28 AM
Both the soft-drink maker and the fast-food company are paying Apple's (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people) retail price of 99 cents per song in their marketing campaigns, The Post reported, citing unnamed sources.

This is a ****ing big deal. Apple will grow tremendesly with this happening, Not only in itunes and ipods but as the public starts noticing Apple their computer sales will skyrocket.

1 billion is a lot....

irmongoose
Nov 6, 2003, 08:43 AM
Wow, this is certainly interesting... although it does say the actual amount McDonalds will spend will be in the millions, it's going to be great for raising awareness of the iTMS and Apple itself.

Let's just hope this is true...

irmongoose

Zeke
Nov 6, 2003, 08:53 AM
That's probably because their analysts know that many prizes won't be redeemed so they can say they're giving away a billion and only expect to have to pay out 500 million. Apple, I don't think, will take a loss or even no profit. They'll make money on this deal. That plus the free advertising will be very good for Apple.

mactastic
Nov 6, 2003, 10:02 AM
Ugh, I'm not eating at the Golden Arches just for a free iTunes song. Maybe I'll just hang out there andask people if they are going to use their free download....

Sucks 'cuz I don't like Pepsi much either.

Wish I could get a free song with my Ben and Jerry's purchase! That would be sweet!

nathanziarek
Nov 6, 2003, 11:15 AM
There is very little reason for McDonald's to just do this, especially if they are in it for a loss of even $100 Million (chump change to them). I would be completely surprised if they were doing this just to do it, and Apple had nothing to do with it. If Apple is involved, it isn't just cashing checks. They are paying for some amount of the advertising, on TV and their own site. They are also paying for bandwidth, etc, which is why, if the sources are correct, McDonalds is paying top shelf for each song. While I agree this is good for iTunes, I disagree that this is a free lunch for Apple.

Nate

arn
Nov 6, 2003, 11:22 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46157