Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cudo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
hi, i need to sell my macbook and want ot restore it to its orginal setting and wipe all the date i store. how do i do it ? and one more thing i got no CDs on me at the moment. can i do it without CDs ?

cudo

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
hi, i need to sell my macbook and want ot restore it to its orginal setting and wipe all the date i store. how do i do it ? and one more thing i got no CDs on me at the moment. can i do it without CDs ?

cudo

You'll need the original CDs to restore to the original state, with all your user data gone and all the iLife applications still there.

You should be reasonably safe if you delete the contents of your home directory, empty the trash, then start Disk Utility, and find the option to erase all unused hard drive space to zeroes. On the other hand, the buyer might not be too happy about buying without the original CDs.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Setup a new user account called Administrator w/o a password. Log in, and go to System Preferences. Delete your old user account. That's it. Just inform the buyer that the login is "Administrator" w/o a password so they can login and set up their own account;.

You don't really need to reinstall OSX. Besides, the new owner might just go out and buy Leopard anyway.

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Setup a new user account called Administrator w/o a password. Log in, and go to System Preferences. Delete your old user account. That's it.

Your data can still be recovered if it isn't overwritten.

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
You best bet it to do a complete format and reinstall in order to confirm all your data is erased. Without the CDs you will basically have to backup all your data to an external drive, delete anything and everything personal. All documents, all the application stores in the library and empty your trash. Even after you do all that, there is still the possibility of someone recovering your data. You really need some install CDs. Or just take out the hard drive and sell it without a hard drive or OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.