PDA

View Full Version : iTunes on Palm?

eclipse525
Nov 6, 2003, 10:10 AM
iTunes on the Palm...could it be???

Do you guys think it's a good idea for apple to port the iTunes App to the Palm platform OR would you like to see the iPod evolve into a color display unit that actually runs iTunes on it. Hmmm....sounds interesting.

~e

5300cs
Nov 6, 2003, 05:05 PM
That does sound kind of cool.

I only have a PalmIIIc though, and I don't think iTunes would run on it very well. But the new ones can do wireless internet, right? It'd be pretty cool to DL tunes on the fly then play them anywhere. :D

jamesatzones
Nov 6, 2003, 05:08 PM
Man oh Man I would love iTunes on the Palm Platform. I actually have a Sony Clie NX70 and the MP3 player in it doesn't support AAC. The missing sync makes sure I can use my Clie with my Mac and when I sync my Clie shows up as a server in iTunes so I can drag and drop. Problem is, Anything new I put in iTunes is encoded in AAC.

I'm all for iTunes on the Palm...

Jagga
Nov 8, 2003, 10:20 PM
NO!

SOrry to bust your bubble but that pic is only a skin for the popular Aeroplayer/PocketTunes OrgVorbis+mp3+AAC music player for Palm OS 5. This is the second edition of the skin and it looks really sweet, I agree.

The best it'll be ..........for now!

GeeYouEye
Nov 8, 2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Jagga
NO!

SOrry to bust your bubble but that pic is only a skin for the popular Aeroplayer/PocketTunes OrgVorbis+mp3+AAC music player for Palm OS 5. This is the second edition of the skin and it looks really sweet, I agree.

The best it'll be ..........for now! Calm down. We know it's not real, but it's not a skin of some other program either. It's iTunes 1 superimposed over a Tungsten. What we are talking about is hypothetical.

FightTheFuture
Nov 8, 2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by eclipse525
Do you guys think it's a good idea for apple to port the iTunes App to the Palm platform OR would you like to see the iPod evolve into a color display unit that actually runs iTunes on it.

didn't steve jobs announce that PDAs will become more scarce when cell phone/PDA hybrids evolve and become more abundant? it would be cool to see itunes on a cell phone, but it would be sooo small

i would rather like to see itunes on an ipod, then the current configuration. don't know how they could pull that off though.

7on
Nov 9, 2003, 12:29 AM
I, myself, think it is too small as well.

Plus, I'd rather iTunes be built into the iPod than a Palm. And Airport Extreme...

ScottDodson
Nov 10, 2003, 10:59 PM
http://www.darrinsden.com/images/aeroplayer/itune2.jpg

Now that is the skin of itunes for aeroplayer....which I love....but itunes....I would love more :D

mrjamin
Nov 11, 2003, 08:32 AM
i'm fairly sure there are a few iTunes clones for the palm. Search sourceforge

notkevin
Nov 11, 2003, 05:58 PM
controlling iTunes via a small palm pen? Yuck

eclipse525
Nov 11, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by notkevin
controlling iTunes via a small palm pen? Yuck

What's wrong with that....it's actually easier....

~e

hugemullens
Nov 11, 2003, 09:08 PM
with playlist on the fly the ipod pretty much has everything you need, i dont see myself getting 10 gigs of music on my palm so i dont need the libary managment. I wouldnt buy and download music via a palm. All iTunes for palm would be is basicly a playlist editor and media player, all which the current ipod could do. I wouldnt dislike itunes on palm, but i think apple could find better projects to work on.

SiliconAddict
Nov 12, 2003, 02:19 AM
Palm??! Naaa. Pocket PC is where iTunes deserves to be. Even though Palm has played massive catch-up to the Pocket PC in terms of specs and features the Pocket PC's OS isn't nearly as primitive as Palm's. From everything I read OS 6 should take care of this problem but then you have MS once again leapfrog them with VGA support in PPC 2004 that should be out this coming spring. My point? Pocket PC was built with multimedia in mind. Iíd like to think itís where the Newton would be right now if Jobs hadnít ****canned it. Multimedia is one of the most used features on these devices. Palm tacked on multimedia support as an afterthought. I love how the first Tungsten supported MP3 playback but didnít even come with any way to play MP3ís LOL.
I still remember Palm's CEO stating at a panel on the future of PDA's at CES in 2000 how no one cared for color and itís not a feature anyone needed or wanted. Amazing how things have changed in 3 years along with CEO's :p I would consider Sony a player if it wasnít for their blasted memorystick POS. (Sorry got screwed by them with MS and a 1,000 camera that was obsolete after 2 weeks because they redesigned the MS but thatís another discussion.)

I would kill to listen to my ACC files on my Pocket PC. I'm going to be getting a new device soon and I don't relish having to convert my collection of AAC files to WMA. (MP3 isn't an option since the quality sucks.) Fortunately I only have about 50 tracks.

benixau
Nov 12, 2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
I would kill to listen to my ACC files on my Pocket PC. I'm going to be getting a new device soon and I don't relish having to convert my collection of AAC files to WMA. (MP3 isn't an option since the quality sucks.) Fortunately I only have about 50 tracks.

Actually - a palmos handheld w/OS4.1 and a PPC 2003 are about the same speed - of course the POS has a 33Mhz processor and the PPC has a 400MHz proc.

Now a POS w/400Mhz proc and a PPC with a 400Mhz proc. I think it is clear which has more copmuting power - oh and as for VGA ÖÖÖ you mean you can actually increase the resolution - could have fooled me.

Go back to some PPC lovers/rapers site and have your fun there - here we are not talking about the better platform but how feasible and useful it would be to hve a good AAC/Apple built music player on a POS device - specifically the T3.

I appologise to the most of the readers for my tone. I do not wish any of you to be offended by this post - i just felt that that had to be said (it was actually quartered from its original length)

SiliconAddict
Nov 12, 2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by benixau

Go back to some PPC lovers/rapers site and have your fun there - here we are not talking about the better platform but how feasible and useful it would be to hve a good AAC/Apple built music player on a POS device - specifically the T3.

I appologise to the most of the readers for my tone. I do not wish any of you to be offended by this post - i just felt that that had to be said (it was actually quartered from its original length)

Nice to know someone isn't biased :rolleyes: I love it. If anything is tagged with the name Microsoft its auto pilot to trash it into the ground.
I run a Palm/Pocket PC user group here in Minneapolis so go trash talk somewhere else. I still use my Palm V for day to day tasks but Multimedia rocks on the Pocket PC. If you didn't filter your view of my post you would have seen that my post only called Sony's memory stick a POS. My post was wasn't to get into a down a dirty with an OS to OS battle. It was to point out that the Pocket PC was designed with multimedia in mind from day one. This makes iTunes a good platform to be established on. I have no qualms with Palm OS. (As soon as they support true multitasking.) But I do have problems with people that stick their head in the sand and ignore a platform simply because it has a MS OS on it.

PS-I would also point out one thing. Palm is limited to SD cards which is limited to 512MB. (With 1GB cards about to make their appearance. Try looking up the max capacity of CF sometime. I think its up to 4GB for the new microdrives.