PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air hacked in security contest

MacBytes
Mar 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: MacBook Air hacked in security contest (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080328154221)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

skiesforme
Mar 28, 2008, 02:58 PM
I have this belief that as Macs become more popular and gain decent market share, we "could" start seeing viruses/trojans/malware. Right now, to be frank we(Mac owners) are somewhat a minority and one's who are not that valuable/of interest to hackers.
But nevertheless, I feel so much better away from all kinds of Antivirus and Antispam and Antispywares on Windows.... phew.. what a relief...

clevin
Mar 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
we have a pretty lengthy discussion here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=461642

Krafty
Mar 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
Firefox > Safari

NotoriousLefty
Mar 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
Firefox < Safari 3

iMpathetic
Mar 28, 2008, 03:50 PM
Firefox < Safari 3

Camino>Firefox>Safari (all versions)

Peace
Mar 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
IE7 just plain sux.

iMpathetic
Mar 28, 2008, 03:54 PM
Finally, something we can all agree on. :D

Why is it important that the air got hacked? Does it matter which Mac at all?

SPUY767
Mar 28, 2008, 04:34 PM
To add a bit of perspective, my friend, who attended the conference, said that all the interest centered around the Air, and that not that many people were even interested in the other two machines. The question is, is this a bug in how WebKit handles an image or tag of some sort, or is it a bonafide bug in Safari? People have been going around in circles saying that if it were a bug in WebKit, that webkit based browsers running under Linux would be vulnerable to the same exploit, which is true, but they have also been claiming that since the exact exploit that got the Air wouldn't run on a linux machine running a webkit browser then it couldn't be a webkit problem, which is false. A linux machine would attempt the same execution of whatever code was present, but the Mac code isn't going to execute on the linux machine. Now, the web sites "covering" this have been running rather libelous headlines to make it seem as though the mac crumbled in the face of a hack attempt, but let us keep in mind that the author of this software likely invested hundreds of hours in finding it and then sat on it waiting for the conference. My friend who attended did the same thing, but his exploit did not work.

Oh, and Opera>All

Benjamindaines
Mar 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
Finally, something we can all agree on. :D

Why is it important that the air got hacked? Does it matter which Mac at all?

Nope, just trying to water ski on the "Air" boat... just like everyone else.

clevin
Mar 28, 2008, 06:02 PM
The question is, is this a bug in how WebKit handles an image or tag of some sort, or is it a bonafide bug in Safari? People have been going around in circles saying that if it were a bug in WebKit, that webkit based browsers running under Linux would be vulnerable to the same exploit,

ubuntu is using gnome, no webkit browser in it by default. im 99.99 percentage sure its firefox 2.x running on it.

roach
Mar 28, 2008, 07:13 PM
To add a bit of perspective, my friend, who attended the conference, said that all the interest centered around the Air, and that not that many people were even interested in the other two machines. The question is, is this a bug in how WebKit handles an image or tag of some sort, or is it a bonafide bug in Safari? People have been going around in circles saying that if it were a bug in WebKit, that webkit based browsers running under Linux would be vulnerable to the same exploit, which is true, but they have also been claiming that since the exact exploit that got the Air wouldn't run on a linux machine running a webkit browser then it couldn't be a webkit problem, which is false. A linux machine would attempt the same execution of whatever code was present, but the Mac code isn't going to execute on the linux machine. Now, the web sites "covering" this have been running rather libelous headlines to make it seem as though the mac crumbled in the face of a hack attempt, but let us keep in mind that the author of this software likely invested hundreds of hours in finding it and then sat on it waiting for the conference. My friend who attended did the same thing, but his exploit did not work.

Oh, and Opera>All

I wouldn't mix people looking over hacker shoulder to people ganging up on a particular machine.

Remember, the name of the game is to be the FIRST to hack a machine and win 10,000 bucks and a hacker would probably want to choose a machine he knows he CAN hack rather a machine that would give him problems.

jayducharme
Mar 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
I wonder if the Windows machine was eventually hacked.

I found it interesting that on day one, no one was able to hack into anything. So the rules were changed to make it easier.

clevin
Mar 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
I found it interesting that on day one, no one was able to hack into anything. So the rules were changed to make it easier.

it was by design, the reward is $20,000; $10,000; $5,000 for day 1,2,3 as well.

here you can follow the development, vista and ubuntu are still standing as of now.
http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/03/28/pwn-to-own-final-day-and-wrap-up

winmacguy
Mar 28, 2008, 10:29 PM
it was by design, the reward is $20,000; $10,000; $5,000 for day 1,2,3 as well.

here you can follow the development, vista and ubuntu are still standing as of now.
http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/03/28/pwn-to-own-final-day-and-wrap-up

According to the article Vista won:eek:
"7:30pm PST Update - Vista Laptop was Won!: Congratulations to the team of Shane Macaulay and Derek Callaway (both from Security Objectives) and Alexander Sotirov! - they have just won the Fujitsu U810 laptop running Vista Ultimate SP1 after it was installed with the latest version of Adobe Flash. Not only are they the official winner of the laptop, but also $5,000 from us. The new Adobe Flash 0day vulnerability that they exploited has been acquired by the Zero Day Initiative, and has been responsibly disclosed to Adobe who is now working on the issue. Until Adobe releases a patch for this issue, neither we nor the three contestants will be giving out any additional information about the vulnerability. You will be able to track the vulnerability on the Zero Day Initiative upcoming advisories page. "

kamm
Mar 29, 2008, 01:28 AM
Camino>Firefox>Safari (all versions)

Opera 9.5 or Firefox 3 latest betas > Camino >>> Safari

BTW latest Opera is the first to pass Acid3...

kamm
Mar 29, 2008, 01:32 AM

Oh, and Opera>All

I'm pretty sure that every major distro runs Firefox or some Mozilla variations by default - never seen anyone using webkit so far (sans Apple.)

gauchogolfer
Mar 29, 2008, 01:33 AM
According to the article Vista won:eek:
"7:30pm PST Update - Vista Laptop was Won!: Congratulations to the team of Shane Macaulay and Derek Callaway (both from Security Objectives) and Alexander Sotirov! - they have just won the Fujitsu U810 laptop running Vista Ultimate SP1 after it was installed with the latest version of Adobe Flash. Not only are they the official winner of the laptop, but also $5,000 from us. The new Adobe Flash 0day vulnerability that they exploited has been acquired by the Zero Day Initiative, and has been responsibly disclosed to Adobe who is now working on the issue. Until Adobe releases a patch for this issue, neither we nor the three contestants will be giving out any additional information about the vulnerability. You will be able to track the vulnerability on the Zero Day Initiative upcoming advisories page. "

Umm, according to that article Vista didn't win, the laptop with Vista running was hacked, and thus won by the hacker.

kamm
Mar 29, 2008, 01:55 AM
Umm, according to that article Vista didn't win, the laptop with Vista running was hacked, and thus won by the hacker.

Ummm you didn't understood the contest. Vista - its hacker - win because it took the longest time to hack. (Ergo OS X lost as it was broken first.)

winmacguy
Mar 29, 2008, 02:35 AM
My guess is Vista only took longer because the guy who hacked OS X focused his efforts solely on OS X - had he done the same thing to Vista he would have achieved the same result.

Belly-laughs
Mar 29, 2008, 03:10 AM
The caution remains the same; don't visit sites from e- mails coming from unknown senders, promising larger, better and more.

chrono1081
Mar 29, 2008, 04:27 AM
well from everytyhing I read he really didnt do it in 2 min, it took him 2 - 3 weeks, then he made a script that was run from a page of his that did the exploit.

dsnort
Mar 29, 2008, 07:32 AM
The Mac got hacked.

Two years in a row.

No excuses, just deal with it.

Now Apple can fix the issue, and maybe try to make the OS as secure as they've always said it was.

clevin
Mar 29, 2008, 07:58 AM
well from everytyhing I read he really didnt do it in 2 min, it took him 2 - 3 weeks, then he made a script that was run from a page of his that did the exploit.

real time is hard to count. after all, leopard has been out for 6 months, and vista has been out for 14 monthes, Ubuntu has been out for 6 months as well.

Neil321
Mar 29, 2008, 08:05 AM
I know the guys who hacked the air had to sign some stuff about security,but what if they said ah ****** it and did
pass whatever they did on,would we all be in the ***** then ?

clevin
Mar 29, 2008, 08:22 AM
I know the guys who hacked the air had to sign some stuff about security,but what if they said ah ****** it and did
pass whatever they did on,would we all be in the ***** then ?

give $$$ credit, Im sure thats part of $10,000 requirement.

Jpoon
Mar 29, 2008, 09:19 AM
Who cares.

All it makes it for a good news story, and nothing more. If someone's dumb enough to be "tricked" into clicking on a malicious website, then they deserved to get hacked lol. A majority of the people that use Macs use FireFox anyways. Creating a hack specifically for Safari, which is an extremely small percent of the market, would be a waste of time in my opinion.

kamm
Mar 29, 2008, 02:27 PM
My guess is Vista only took longer because the guy who hacked OS X focused his efforts solely on OS X - had he done the same thing to Vista he would have achieved the same result.

It's not the same guy...

BiikeMike
Mar 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
Linux was the only one to get away, and only because the hackers were to lazy to hack it!

Some of the show's 400 attendees had found bugs in the Linux operating system, she said, but many of them didn't want to put the work into developing the exploit code that would be required to win the contest.

Link (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143962-pg,1/article.html)

shadowfax
Mar 29, 2008, 06:21 PM

Not doing jail time is pretty good too. You can get in serious trouble for telling criminals how to break into computers...

Neil321
Mar 30, 2008, 03:34 AM

Not doing jail time is pretty good too. You can get in serious trouble for telling criminals how to break into computers...

Not sure you two read my post correctly ( or how it was intended anyways ) im fully aware of the security issues ,data protection act bla bla bla and going to jail for the individuals.What i meant was if the info was available what then ?

GradientMac
Mar 30, 2008, 04:03 AM
Guys, this is close to even fraudulent.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/03/28/cansecwest-and-swiss-federal-institute-of-tech-deliver-attacks-on-the-reality-of-mac-security/

Read, before you freak out.

BongoBanger
Mar 30, 2008, 08:17 AM

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/03/28/cansecwest-and-swiss-federal-institute-of-tech-deliver-attacks-on-the-reality-of-mac-security/

Sure, because one blog written by a mac fanboy and conspiracy nut that comes up with a rubbish theory, and I quote:

The easy answer is that nobody had any political reason to attack Windows at an event sponsored by Microsoft.

Must mean that it's not true!

Except that it is. All three machines were attacked. The Mac fell on day two, the Vista machine on day three and the Linux one didn't fall at all although it could have done, it's just no-one could be bothered.

It's particularly disingenuous the way he mentions Microsoft as sponsor when they are actually only one of about twenty sponsors. A major IT presence sponsoring an IT event! Imagine that!

The bottom line is the Mac went first but none of the machines went at all until the competition organisers had put them into 'stupid user' mode. Oh, and apparently the hacks all had to be unique to so by this definition it wouldn't have worked on the Vista or Linux machines.

Macs are less susceptible to viruses than PCs but then any PC user who knows what he or she is doing isn't going to get them anyway so it's a moot point. However, if a user does something stupid then any system is vulnerable. That's just the facts of life.

clevin
Mar 30, 2008, 08:25 AM

roughlydrafted is the #1 apple fansite I know, every comparison you get from there is 80% bogus.

Masquerade
Mar 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
Yo
Chocant news gromit. Apple advertising tells us that MAc OS X is more secure than vista and yahdadada, and don't explain why.. This year the Mac is again the first system to be hacked; this is the second year that Apple loose some credibility about security in similiar contests.

Why Apple don't make those hacker contests at Apple Stores to invite people to win MacBooks Airs ? And to digg their own sh* 2!

QuarterSwede
Mar 30, 2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I'm worried about someone hacking into my computer on my own secured network. Meanwhile I'm glad I don't have to worry about viruses, spyware or malware.

clevin
Mar 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
I don't think the contest can represent the whole situation. But I do agree OSX probably isn't as secure as apple claimed

I also think part of the negative response is generated by the backlash of apple's arrogant and less than truthful mac vs. pc series ads

MezicanGangxtah
Mar 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well although mac was the first to get hacked vista was eventualy hackked as well.Why did it take longer for vista to get hacked you ask ? well the hackers werent expecting it but the vista machine was eqiuped with SP1 which is relativly new and probably patched what the hackers were planning to use for vista...either way it eventualy got hacked. True mac was hacked first but that doesnt neccesarlily mean its most unsecure besides 10.5.3 has already been sent to developers and such so its only a matter of time till it gets here and hopefully fixes its flaws.

clevin
Mar 30, 2008, 11:08 AM
10.5.3 has already been sent to developers and such so its only a matter of time till it gets here and hopefully fixes its flaws.

its at least 2 months away, that can't be an adequate response to this security hole

SP1 has been out for a month and half already, thats not an excuse.

EDIT, nonono, end users only have SP1 for 10 days. But still, I would expect a hacker getting MSDN registration done before hand... :p

dsnort
Mar 30, 2008, 12:35 PM
roughlydrafted is the #1 apple fansite I know, every comparison you get from there is 80% bogus.

I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories either, not without some fairly solid evidence. But there a few seemingly self evident truths that make me a bit skeptical whenever I hear "security experts" talk about how insecure Mac OS X is.

1. The computer security industry is worth millions, if not billions, of dollars per year.

2. A very large percentage of the security industry's revenue is generated through the perceived need for extra security on computers running Windows OS.

3. Any migration of the user base towards any OS perceived to have less need for extra security would be financially inconvenient for the computer security industry.

Given these factors, I find it oddly convenient for both MS and the security industry that the hacker attacking the Vista machine "didn't realize" it would have SP1 installed. ( Note to Vista hacker: SP1 was released almost two months ago, you may want to scan a trade journal periodically.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080329/tc_pcworld/143962

And of course, none of that changes the fact that the Mac got hacked. We still don't know anything about the exploit, but it is apparently a real security breach, and Apple needs to do better.

chagla
Mar 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
Yo
Chocant news gromit. Apple advertising tells us that MAc OS X is more secure than vista and yahdadada, and don't explain why.. This year the Mac is again the first system to be hacked; this is the second year that Apple loose some credibility about security in similiar contests.

Why Apple don't make those hacker contests at Apple Stores to invite people to win MacBooks Airs ? And to digg their own sh* 2!

wait a minute. so you mean to tell me that cute and hip guy on the commercial was being dishonest? oh no!!
i'm gonna faint. *heart broken*

i'm finding some interesting "defense" for the mac airbook.
- oh well you know vista got hacked too, eventually, but not in two minutes! (so does this make mac more secure?)
- oh well, everbody even the hackers want the macbook air. thats why they picked on it. (duh!, if breaking the vista box was so easy, why wouldn't the hacker try it on the first day and take $20,000 home? you mean to tell me that they went after the AIR on the second day just cuz it was a fetish object, not to mention forfeiting $10,000)

amusing.

kuwisdelu
Mar 30, 2008, 03:36 PM
oh well you know vista got hacked too, eventually, but not in two minutes!

Just to clarify here, while in 2nd day of the contest, it took 2 minutes for the MacBook Air to get hacked, preparing the hack took 3 weeks. Still not an excuse, but there's a big difference between 2 minutes and 3 weeks.

theLimit
Mar 30, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, three weeks worth of hacking to come up with an exploit in Safari 3.1 that only affects someone dumb enough to fall for a phishing-website type scam. I do not fear for the safety of my Mac.

roach
Mar 30, 2008, 04:02 PM

Yeah... this guy's site is like Fox News. More entertainment in-your-face junk than news.

clevin
Mar 30, 2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, three weeks worth of hacking to come up with an exploit in Safari 3.1 that only affects someone dumb enough to fall for a phishing-website type scam. I do not fear for the safety of my Mac.

the topic is "compare to other OSes". is it?

Sesshi
Mar 30, 2008, 06:25 PM

But the majority of Windows users who say "Stupid Windows did x", switch to a Mac and rave about how much more secure it is are exactly the sort of people who would fall for those scams - as are long-time Mac users who're convinced of the invulnerability of their OS, when it was just the case that it was never worth catering for.

The phishers should by now realise that due to the demographic, phishing a typical Mac user is actually easier and arguably more worth it than a Windows guy more educated to common threats. With market share increasing and hackintoshes becoming more popular, the number of people fielding systems with which to develop OS X malware are also increasing.

Complacency may still reign supreme, but I suspect not for long.

kamm
Mar 31, 2008, 10:06 PM

Hey, I don't read that kind of worthless, idiotic crap but even I heard about this total joke site...:cool: It's something like the personal mental garbage can of this loudmouthed, badly educated kid called Dilgar or Dilger...

pintnight
Jan 11, 2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/28/mac_hack/

CanSecWest A brand-new MacBook Air running a fully patched version of Leopard was the first to fall in a contest that pitted the security of machines running OS X, Vista and Linux. The exploit took less than two minutes to pull off...

At time of writing, the Windows and Linux machines were still standing.

:eek:

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/-MacBook-hacked-in-contest-at-security-event/0,339028227,339275010,00.htm?feed=pt_os_x

The successful hack comes a day after Apple release its fourth security update for Mac OS X this year. The update repairs 25 vulnerabilities.

guess not...

wrldwzrd89
Jan 11, 2009, 08:13 PM
I know this has been covered before... but the exact thread eludes me right now.

Tallest Skil
Jan 11, 2009, 08:13 PM
From... March of last year?

NT1440
Jan 11, 2009, 08:14 PM
From... March of last year?

Yup, i remember gizmodo reporting on this.

DoFoT9
Jan 11, 2009, 08:21 PM
wow why even bother bringing up this OLD news???

pintnight
Jan 11, 2009, 08:21 PM
I know this has been covered before... but the exact thread eludes me right now.From... March of last year?Yup, i remember gizmodo reporting on this.Oh damn!!! :o

28th March 2008Didn't realized the date, I just saw that on another forum that somebody just posted and I went to read the article and didn't realized the date. Oops! :o

pintnight
Jan 11, 2009, 08:22 PM
wow why even bother bringing up this OLD news???Because old news is never old enough. :p

Luftwaffles
Jan 11, 2009, 08:23 PM
Okay, you're completely ignoring the fact that the hackers got to CHOOSE which systems they hacked.

Which means there weren't equal resources devoted to hacking all three systems.

So claiming that it was the "first to fall" is blatantly retarded (sorry to offend) because if 100 people are in the contest and 99 focus on the Mac, of course it will fall faster.

Also, let's see how fast somebody could exploit the thousands of IE vulnerabilities. I've got $10,000 that says that competition would have ended alot sooner if somebody gave the Vista box a good going-over.

DoFoT9
Jan 11, 2009, 08:25 PM
Because old news is never old enough. :p
yes it is, its completely irrelevant. its outdated and worthles information TBH.

NT1440
Jan 11, 2009, 08:25 PM
Okay, you're completely ignoring the fact that the hackers got to CHOOSE which systems they hacked.

Which means there weren't equal resources devoted to hacking all three systems.

So claiming that it was the "first to fall" is blatantly retarded (sorry to offend) because if 100 people are in the contest and 99 focus on the Mac, of course it will fall faster.

Also, let's see how fast somebody could exploit the thousands of IE vulnerabilities. I've got $10,000 that says that competition would have ended alot sooner if somebody gave the Vista box a good going-over.

Not to mention that they came with their gear and everything and had worked out the hacks before they even got there.....

2 minutes, is it really that impressive when everything was already set to go?

DoFoT9
Jan 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
Not to mention that they came with their gear and everything and had worked out the hacks before they even got there.....

2 minutes, is it really that impressive when everything was already set to go?

wouldnt even be worth it these days those bugs have all been patched :)

NT1440
Jan 11, 2009, 08:32 PM
wouldnt even be worth it these days those bugs have all been patched :)

No what I was explaining was the process for this competition. They had time to prepare, its not like they sat them down and had them start hacking. If I remember correctly they had everything they needed on a flash drive BEFORE the competition.

So it essentially came down to who got their hack running fastest, not which system could actually be hacked quicker.

DoFoT9
Jan 11, 2009, 08:39 PM
No what I was explaining was the process for this competition. They had time to prepare, its not like they sat them down and had them start hacking. If I remember correctly they had everything they needed on a flash drive BEFORE the competition.

So it essentially came down to who got their hack running fastest, not which system could actually be hacked quicker.

yea i realised how un-related my post was just after i hit the reply button.

i see your point though, it gives apple no credit at all!!! the fact that it was hackable via web browsers wasnt that credible either. wonder how long it would take to hack IE :rolleyes:

NT1440
Jan 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
yea i realised how un-related my post was just after i hit the reply button.

i see your point though, it gives apple no credit at all!!! the fact that it was hackable via web browsers wasnt that credible either. wonder how long it would take to hack IE :rolleyes:
I was under the impression that IE came pre hacked:p

DoFoT9
Jan 11, 2009, 08:52 PM
I was under the impression that IE came pre hacked:p

haha well M$ is right about one thing, its very easy to use/modify ahah. comes pre-hacked, classic.

priller
Jan 11, 2009, 09:40 PM

The winner got $10,000, they focused on the easiest target which happened to be OS X.

r.j.s
Jan 11, 2009, 09:42 PM
If I remember right, didn't they use a third-party driver and airport card for this?

jonbravo77
Jan 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Probably M$ developer out to show how "solid" Vista was and how OS X is crap to boost M$ sales... lol :D

NT1440
Jan 11, 2009, 09:45 PM
If I remember right, didn't they use a third-party driver and airport card for this?

They used alot of things that no one would be able to do without physically stealing your computer.

There really is no relevance in the real world of this competition other than sad sad sad bragging rights.

priller
Jan 11, 2009, 10:00 PM
They used alot of things that no one would be able to do without physically stealing your computer.

There really is no relevance in the real world of this competition other than sad sad sad bragging rights.

It was hacked by following a link to a malicious website

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/03/28.1.shtml

NT1440
Jan 11, 2009, 10:03 PM
It was hacked by following a link to a malicious website

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/03/28.1.shtml

See? the guy made a freakin web page with the exploit on it!

While yes he did do it (and it takes alot of work) the "2 minute" hack story loses all credibility there.

Its good that any exploits found there are closed now.

Trip.Tucker
Jan 12, 2009, 12:00 AM

Absolutely. It was the only way (at that time) they could get in.