Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I'm using my mini as a multimedia server so I have a wireless keyboard (that I can power off to save batteries) and use the TV as a monitor.

I occasionally screen share to do maintenance on the machine and sometimes I'll reboot it in the process.

Problem is that if the TV isn't on and the keyboard plugged in, it boots to safe mode rather than doing a proper reboot.

Is there any way to do a normal reboot without a keyboard / monitor attached?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Have you tried rebooting over ssh yet? No clue why it reboots into safe mode. I've never had headless minis do that.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Have you tried rebooting over ssh yet? No clue why it reboots into safe mode. I've never had headless minis do that.

I just rebooted in ssh without thinking. I'm away from home and now the thing is inaccessible grrr.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I hate to say this but I forget the options for 'shutdown' so that'll restart. I'm a much bigger fan of 'reboot'. You'll need to use sudo of course.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I hate to say this but I forget the options for 'shutdown' so that'll restart. I'm a much bigger fan of 'reboot'. You'll need to use sudo of course.

shutdown -r now

But that's not the problem. If I had a keyboard and monitor on it would boot fine.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Anything in the logs that would explain why it decides to reboot into safe mode w/o said peripherals? Tried an Archive & Install yet?

No, I've never worried that much about it until now, just turned on the tv and keyboard and rebooted. But now that I'm remote and can't do that I'm hosed for the moment.

[Edit: removed comment. Misunderstood the context of the question.]

LOL I can only imagine what this comment was. Bet it was pretty funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.