Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
Is it possible (or even legal) to some way upgrade an old installation disk that's an older version of Windows XP (by this, I mean SP1), to SP2, so it can be used for Boot Camp? If so, is it legal??? Help is greatly appreciated, thanks. ;)

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
Ok, ummmm... I know this is kind of lazy, but I'm in a little bit of a hurry here. Can anyone post a link of how this process works, and what's involved??
Thanks.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It makes a difference which old installation disk you are intending to use.

A retail version of Windows SP1 - yes

A version of Windows that was bundled with the purchase of a PC like a Dell or an HP (typically comes on a CD imprinted with the PC manufacturer's name, not the hologram Windows CD) - no. The license to bundled software is tied to the hardware it was sold with -- regardless whether that hardware is still in use or not, it is against the license to install a bundled Windows on any other machine.

Instructions are here - you'll need a Windows machine to do it

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
OK, thanks for the help, but is there any other way to do this, possibly using something other than Nero, or Roxio? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.