Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSoftMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Northern CA
Hi

I just got the Kochan book and I'm starting at the beginning (I've dabbled with C in the past).

I'm trying to run the first example using Xcode 3.0, but I don't see any output. Basically, it's a hello world program that prints "Programming is fun". When I "build and run", I don't get any output (I believe a window should open that displays the text "Programming is fun").

Kochan uses Project Builder in the book, but he mentions that Xcode is very similar. He says that if you don't get an output, then you need to select "Show Run Log from the Debug menu", but I can't find anything like this in the Xcode menu's.

I know this is a dumb question, but any help would be nice
Thanks

p.s. I can get the program to run correctly in a terminal. I entered it using vi in a completely separate directory from the above

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Things moved around a bit since the book was written. In fact I think it pre-dates X-Code.

Select Run->Console and the errr.. console window will pop up. Any output from your command line apps will appear there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.