PDA

View Full Version : powerbook and os9 help

sahnert
Nov 6, 2003, 04:25 PM
My 12" G4 PowerBook does not have the option to boot in OS9 like my the iBook G3 that i used to use could. Question is this: If i purchase a copy of OS9 can I set it up as an optional boot volume like the iBook did while running OSX normally. I have some problems with some music software that will only run in 9. They work with classic but my usb midi interface doesn't and neither does freemidi. If i want to have both OSes on the computer at the same time and starting up in either one, how do I go about doing that? Do I have to partition the HD or anything like that? It seems like if I tried to install OS9 "normally" it would replace OSX. Also I have about 19 GB left on my HD. how much of this will be used up if I go ahead and install 9 along side X? More detail the better because I don't know a whole lot about how OS software works/interacts with hardware. Thanks

also, how will an independent version of 9 work with classic in X. For example if I install something while booted in 9, will it automatically integrate with the classic that was previously running on X? hope this all makes sense.

pncc
Nov 6, 2003, 08:52 PM
Any Mac that won't boot OS 9
WON'T BOOT OS 9!! AT ALL!! NO WAY!!

Anything installed in 9 will launch in Classic if a Classic OS is chosen in the Classic Pref pane.

Sun Baked
Nov 6, 2003, 09:05 PM
Any and all PowerMacs with FW800 will not boot OS 9.

The rest of the Macs loose OS 9 bootability with DDR memory.

sahnert
Nov 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
so if something says it will work in classic but must be installed natively in os9, i'm pretty much screwed?

madamimadam
Nov 6, 2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by sahnert
so if something says it will work in classic but must be installed natively in os9, i'm pretty much screwed?

In one word???

Yes
:)

What is it that would work in Classic but not install in Classic???

I've been spending too much time at Whirlpool (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au) fighting the cause (LOL) so I thought I'd come back home for a bit :)

There's no place like home... ahh... MacRumors.com
:)

sahnert
Nov 7, 2003, 12:51 AM
OMS (midi program for OS9) won't recognize my roland midi interface. I was going to try to use FreeMidi which I've heard is similar to OMS but it must be installed while running OS9 natively. Guess I'll either have to find a different interface or just get software that runs on OSX. My synth came with sequencing and voice editor software, but it's for OS9. Which means I'll actually have to buy some software. Darn.

madamimadam
Nov 7, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sahnert
OMS (midi program for OS9) won't recognize my roland midi interface. I was going to try to use FreeMidi which I've heard is similar to OMS but it must be installed while running OS9 natively. Guess I'll either have to find a different interface or just get software that runs on OSX. My synth came with sequencing and voice editor software, but it's for OS9. Which means I'll actually have to buy some software. Darn.

Yeah, I think you'll have a hard time with MIDI and Classic

sahnert
Nov 7, 2003, 01:01 AM
thanks for the help anyhow

maxmag
Nov 7, 2003, 01:07 AM
Who cares about os 9 anyways? Apple shouldn't have even put it in OSX. It sucks!

madamimadam
Nov 7, 2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by maxmag
Who cares about os 9 anyways? Apple shouldn't have even put it in OSX. It sucks!

That would have gone down REALLY well with consumers.

Sun Baked
Nov 7, 2003, 01:56 AM
Who cares about os 9 anyways? Apple shouldn't have even put it in OSX. It sucks! It actually was left out of Mac OS X v1.0 (Rhapsody), basically the NeXT OS on Mac -- didn't go over too well with the developers.

Since it didn't include Carbon either, so 0% of the old Mac software worked. Apple ended up releasing it as a Server Only app, while they made the transition to OS X easier (Carbon and Classic) while rewriting/revamping a good chunk of code.

sahnert
Nov 7, 2003, 03:59 AM
Who cares about os 9 anyways?

Well I care about OS9 when that's the OS that my software runs on and buying brand new sequencer and midi voice editor software does not easily fit in to my starving college student budget.
Honestly was that remark really necessary? I obviously care about it if I started a thread about it.