PDA

View Full Version : The New G4 ibooks?

Groggymanat6
Nov 6, 2003, 07:41 PM
Hello everyone, I am looking around for a laptop for christmas, and I have been looking for quite a while. I have seen just about every one out there. Then I happened to stumble upon the Apple i-book which I found quite interesting but when I had looked at it before it only had a G3 which was kindof older technology. I wanted something fast and good enough to play most of the games (mac games) out there today. Plus it was a little pricey for the things you got. But just recently they have come out with a new G4 i book and they were cheaper too. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if they have one, and how fast and well it runs the majority of programs. Is a 933 G4 fast? or will it still be fast in a year or so?

Thanks

Alex

crazzyeddie
Nov 6, 2003, 07:50 PM
A 933mhz G4 is fast, and will still be usable in 2 or 3 years, depending on how demanding (impatient) you are :D

phantommaul
Nov 7, 2003, 01:46 PM
definately go with the g4 933
dont forget last year apple used 800 g4 for the powerbook and it was promoted for the machine of video editing on the go.

:)
every single mac is great.
no figure madness. those are pc folk
it was muffin hunter. he is different :) :) :)
i love space ghost

Schiffi
Nov 7, 2003, 02:20 PM
Eh, I don't know... I doubt the iBook can play UT2003, since it's specs resemble the revA 12"Powerbook which couldn't play UT2003. I suggest 12" Powerbook, or 15". Though if you're not into FPSes, then the iBook should be fine.

fugeelama
Nov 7, 2003, 02:46 PM
I just bought the 12" G4 iBook, and it's awesome. iTunes visualizations actually play fluidly (35 fps without a problem -- my G3 iBook 600 couldn't do that!), and I've been getting some very good performance out of UT2K3. It's more than playable, I've been able to crank some of the settings up to Highest and not suffer any lag or delay in gameplay.

As for all-around general use, it is fast enough for just about everything, esp. with Panther. Apple has officially abandoned the G3, and the G4 should remain "entry level" for many years to come. With the 933, unless you're one of those types (like me) that just needs to have the latest and greatest thing, you'll be fine. :)