PDA

View Full Version : DVD Playback under 10.1 (non-Apple solution)

MacRumors
Oct 15, 2001, 04:20 AM
VideoLan (http://www.videolan.org/), a student project:

It's main goals are MPEG and DVD playing and broadcasting on the campus, but it also features a standalone multimedia player that can read DVDs and MPEG files.

With the latest release, they've provided a Mac OS X 10.1 Binary which provides DVD playback independant of Apple's player. It's still in early development, so keep your expectations in check... but it's a promising solution - especially for those who don't fall under the "supported" category with Apple's DVD player.

I managed to start a DVD playing and was able to drag the window from my Geforce 3 and Rage Pro videocards without problems. The video was smooth on both cards. Of note, when I tried to change to the next chapter, it stopped playback altogether... :)

Here are some details you'll need to use the player:

you need to run vlc from the command line. Change to the directory where you copied the vlc.app into, and do:

./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc dvd:/dev/rdisk1 (the disk # may be different depending on your config. Check with "df -kl" from the terminal)

vlc should open, and start playing the dvd. You can also try the new
QuickTime output plugin by starting vlc which

./vlc.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc -I macosx_qt -V macosx_qt dvd:/dev/rdisk1

this should give you smoother playback, but it currently has _no_ interface, and only supports full-screen mode.

mymemory
Oct 15, 2001, 08:48 PM
Can you translate that into spanish please?

Thanx

tastybrains
Oct 16, 2001, 06:19 PM
I have been experimenting with this program quite a lot in the last few days because I own a B&W G3 (with a G4 ZIF installed, incidentally) that is not supported for DVD playback by Apple. Although the patched 2.2 DVD player worked flawlessly in OS 9, there is currently no OS X solution.

The thing that frustrates me is the lack of documentation about this application. First of all, the syntax described in the docs (vlc dvd:/dev/rdisk2 in my case) simply launches the program, which does nothing. "vlc /dev/rdisk2" seems to work, but on R-rated films (basically every one I own) it freezes with a screen about parental controls, asking whether I want to proceed. Since there is no interface, it is impossible to do so. Most other DVDs bring up the menu, which again is impossible to bypass.

The only DVD out of the 10 I have tried that has played properly was the ghost in the shell (which is, of course, unrated). The video played almost flawlessly (a bit jumpy, but it kept up very well). However, even then there was no audio!

Anyway, I know that some of these things can probably be fixed/circumvented with command-line options. I just don't appear to have the intuition to figure it all out without some (correct) documentation.

Has anyone else had better luck, and if so could you shed some light on the situation?

MrMacMan
Oct 16, 2001, 08:39 PM
Wow, Real DVD PLAYBACK!! OMG IT IS HERE!!!!

thedbp
Oct 16, 2001, 10:06 PM
The only 2 disks I could get to work (even barely) were Bjork's All Is Full of Love DVD Single, on which the video played jerkily and the sound was just NOISE, and my Tool Salival DVD, which played the sound, wavering in speed, with no video without the options turned on, and with the options turned on, I could watch a 640x480 segment at the top left corner of my screen against a black bg, it kept up with the sound OK, but it was wavering in speed again.

Its promising. Wish I could help write it but I have no idea.

harmless
Oct 17, 2001, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by tastybrains
Although the patched 2.2 DVD player worked flawlessly in OS 9, there is currently no OS X solution.

Actually there's quite a simple patch for Apple's DVD Player. I don't have the name of the original poster, but here is the solution anyways:

----
Get your DVD player by copying Essentials.pkg.gz to your disk, gunzip, and read the man page for the pax command line to get the DVD Player.app directory and contents extracted.

Grab a Hex editor from version-tracker.

Boot your mac into open firmware using Command option o f.

Read your id. PowermacX,X X.Xx blah

The important part is PowermacX,X (i.e. B&W G3 Powermac1,1)

Search for the string in the DVD Player application. Then change anything after Powermac2,1 I believe to your ID string and save the application... be sure to make the application executable by all. NOTE: Compatible machine list is checked first and if a match is made, it doesn't matter if the machine is listed twice.

----
I tried it with my B&W G3 (replaced 'Powermac4,1" with "Powermac1,1") and it works perfectly. Enjoy.

bye. Andreas.

industry00
Oct 21, 2001, 02:05 PM
Ok, I got the DVD app and the string from booting in to open firmware. I have tried using hex edit 1.7.4 (carbon version running in OS X) but cant get it to open up the DVD player app...am I doing something wrong by chance? Any help would be appreciated from anyone that may have insight on this. It has really let me down that Apple is not going to support to owners of older machines for DVD playback in OS X.

zsvx
Oct 21, 2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by industry00
Ok, I got the DVD app and the string from booting in to open firmware. I have tried using hex edit 1.7.4 (carbon version running in OS X) but cant get it to open up the DVD player app...am I doing something wrong by chance? Any help would be appreciated from anyone that may have insight on this. It has really let me down that Apple is not going to support to owners of older machines for DVD playback in OS X. Try renaming it to "DVD Player" (i.e. take .app off). This should allow you to edit DVD Player/Contents/MacOS/DVD Player. HexEdit didn't work for some reason; I had to use HexEditor instead. Rename it back to "DVD Player.app" when you're done.

tastybrains
Oct 22, 2001, 02:41 AM
Hey -
I'd just like to thank all who posted replies. I am now watching DVDs again on my mac - flawlessly, and without the crashes that OS 9 regularly suffers. :-)
It's extremely disappointing that Apple would pull a petty stunt like this when so many non-AGP machines are clearly capable of playing DVDs.

Thanks again!

- Tastybrains

industry00
Oct 23, 2001, 12:48 PM
I couldn't agree with you more tasty brains! If anyone needs additional info on doing this mod, bounce over to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com all the info is there too.