Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bernler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I have noticed my macbook fan constantly runs. The unit does seem hot. This seems t have caused n=my battery life t be cut by 2/3. Any suggestions?

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Check Activity Monitor to see what process is using all your CPU power. This will give you an indication where your problem is. If it's an app, you can kill it and troubleshoot/re-install it. If it's an operating system issue, post back and someone more knowledgeable about such specific things can help.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
did u change the battery settings or energy saver cause that happened to me and i just reset those to default and it seemed to stop

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
u must be running a program that uses allot of cpu. im suprised because wen my fans are running fast they dont seem to eat away the juice on my batt.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
u must be running a program that uses allot of cpu. im suprised because wen my fans are running fast they dont seem to eat away the juice on my batt.

wtf this never happens to me and i have lik flash 8 photoshop cs3 firefox itunes and lik msn running half the time and lik bareley the fans go on

bernler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I had 2 print jobs running but no printer attached. It was taking up virtually all of my CPU. Battery life back, fan off.....

makaha50

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
yep

i had the same thing ... brick oven hot and fan hollering. cpu's were clipped. all apps quit i didn't find the culprit. rebooted and cpu's are normal. starting to cool down now though the fans are still working. thanksall.

winniewms

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Try onyx

Try the free application, onyx. Mine was running hot and I had tried everything I could read to try. Just tried onyx in it's default options in the automated mode and I now have a cool quiet machine. Not sure which step was the fix, but I'm pleased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.