PDA

View Full Version : iTrip pix and packaging

obeygiant
Nov 6, 2003, 10:36 PM
The new Griffin iTrip packaging is pretty good taking cues from Apple's iPod and iSight wrappings. Its compact and very sleek. Minimal set up and the install went flawlessly. The reception on radio is about as good as expected. Any low level static is covered up by increasing the volume on the iPod. Over 80% volume, the signal will distort. The closer to the antenna the better reception, of course. No noticable battery consumption. All around nice gadget and fun.

Frisco
Nov 6, 2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the picts! I was thinking about getting one, but I am concerned about the reception in my area--I live 10 miles from NYC.
Oh well, it's not like it's a big investment. I hope the FM transmitter is built into the next iPod.

rainman::|:|
Nov 6, 2003, 11:29 PM
this is the same (pretty much) as the old one. griffin is the only company i've seen that has Apple's packaging/design/marketing even close. kudos to them. certainly i was impressed with the style of the box that my iTrip came in, very very similar to the box my iPod came in...

pnw

obeygiant
Nov 6, 2003, 11:37 PM
paulwhannel, your avatar is exactly where I am in "the drawing of the three"

Wild

toughboy
Nov 7, 2003, 08:58 PM
Thanx for the wonderful pictures that you have posted obeygiant.. good job!

I was considering to buy a FM Transmitter too, but when I bought my 15gig iPod, there was only Belkins sold in the Apple Stores, no Griffins were available, its wonderful that Griffins iTrip is a nice product which deserves to be an iPod accessory.. I loved the packaging too.. such a neet work...

coopdog
Nov 8, 2003, 12:01 AM
It's my 16th birthday and I have a new ipod so I def need one of the itrips. But how is the reception? Does it come in like major station or less than that? I'm thinking about are FM transmiter or one of thoes tape ones. What is the sound quality like between thoes? Thanks

stoid
Nov 8, 2003, 12:47 AM
I have a tape adaptor that I use to plug both DVD player and iPod into my speaker system. Yes, I'm a poor college kid. Anyhow, the sound is great and distorted only by my poor stereo. I am thinking about getting the iTrip anyway though because then I will be able to use the iPod at my desk and control the music without having to disturb my work by getting up and walking across the room.

joshuajestelle
Nov 8, 2003, 12:56 AM
I definitely like the form factor of the iTrip, it seems like the best designed product of this type.

MacWorld Nov 2003 did a review of several tape adapters and FM transmitters.

They concluded that if you have a working tape deck in your car, then tape deck adapters are the best way to go.

The say that the tape adapters simply work, and sometimes its more difficult to get the transmitters to work.

Another good point to consider is would you ever use the device on anything besides your iPod?

If so, the beautiful form factor of the iTrip may not be what you want, as it doesn't seem like it will fit on much anything but an iPod.

Personally though, if i had an iPod, I'd get the iTrip.

:)

Josh

toughboy
Nov 8, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by joshuajestelle
Personally though, if i had an iPod, I'd get the iTrip.

I have a tape adapter, but still I would buy an itrip if they would sell it in Turkey.. :( hopefully the Turkish distributor of Apple will bring it as an accessory..

ksz
Nov 8, 2003, 05:55 PM
Many radio tuners in automobiles have RDS (radio data system) that can display the station's ID, genre of music, and even the title and artist of the currently playing song.

It would be nice if a future version of the iTrip or FM TuneCast would send out the RDS subcarrier. The station ID might be set to "IPOD" (or customizable), while the genre, artist, and song title would be taken right out of the MP3 file.

One downside: long titles would be displayed in segments because of the short length of an RDS string. But this occurs even now with radio stations that broadcast song titles.

hui__lim
Nov 9, 2003, 12:28 PM
What is the sound quality of the iTrips like? Is it pretty much the same as a tape deck adapter? I heard that there is static. Is this true? Is it fairly easy to set a station on the iTrip to work with your radio in the car?

oldschool
Nov 9, 2003, 03:29 PM
I don't like the iTrip...for me it never seems to work consistently and even on perfectly clear radio, never sounds as good as a tape input.

If your deck in your car has RCA inputs then just use those...or go to RCAinput.com.

WannabeSQ
Nov 9, 2003, 04:50 PM
The best thing i noticed from those pics is that the LED is now red, matching the backlit buttons on the new ipods. I have an old itrip and the LED is blue, good work on matching! I have to get the new iTrip, cause when i took my 2nd gen 10gb iPod in cause the remote headphone jack was flakey, they gave me a new 20gb 3rd gen model. Sweet deal if you ask me.

Anyone want to buy an old iTrip? or trade an old trip for a new one?