PDA

View Full Version : Folding @ Home

arn
May 5, 2002, 03:39 PM
It seems there is also lot of interest in the Folding @ Home client...

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Read for yourself, but basically it is attempting to learn more about protein folding with respect to certain diseases.

I just started a Macrumors Team for those interested in it as well:

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=3446

I'll promote it on the main page in the next week or so to seperate it from the SETI Team. I had a reservation about starting up two teams at the same time, as it splits our efforts... but to each their own... every bit helps the teams, and this is all for fun and hopefully some benefit to the researchers.

arn

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure about having 2 different teams. I will be sticking with SETI.

backspinner
May 5, 2002, 05:07 PM
I'm sure, I started folding! Better use my power for something potentionaly useful (?)

Falleron
May 5, 2002, 05:11 PM
Is it optimised for the G4?

Ensign Paris
May 5, 2002, 05:26 PM
Even though Folding is a good idea, I perfer Seti, its the original one and its just so cool.

Good luck with the Folding Team!

Ensign

jelloshotsrule
May 5, 2002, 09:06 PM
in folding...

how does one know if it's moving along? it says "working" but the progress remains at 0.0% even after a while.... how long does a unit take normally? i'm on dual 800... just so i know if something's not working right or if i just need to give it some time....

GovernmentAgent
May 5, 2002, 09:52 PM
It takes a few hours to "see" progress on the % complete for the protein folding program because one unit is 24 hours on a standard machine (400mHz G4, I think).

Does anyone know if the data that one crunches during the day is lost if the computer is turned off at night (considering the 24 hour typical runtime of a work unit)?

jelloshotsrule
May 5, 2002, 10:08 PM
does folding work like seti in that it'll pick up where it left off if i were to quit it?

buffsldr
May 5, 2002, 10:19 PM
Well, gentlemen... I have the honor of being the first user to submit a unit under the auspices of team 3446 (aka Macrumors.com folding team). I was able to do it first as I was already working on a unit and was almost done when Arn so graciously allowed the Folding team to gravey-train off of the success of the seti team.

To answer a few questions the best i can.... yes, folding does continue where you left off. And I dont know how long it takes, but i would estimate my 466 g4 does a unit in about 12 hours, but you may notice, i am new, as i only have submitted one unit.

One cool thing i like about folding is it tells you what protein you are working on, and you can go to the web and research that protein.

j763
May 6, 2002, 02:22 AM
Well, I'll be running both Seti and Folding. I think that both of these projects will be useful in the future. I would not argue that curing diseases is more important than Space Research or vise-versa.

Good luck to everyone on seti and on folding...

Dr. Distortion
May 6, 2002, 02:57 AM
Download Folding Control from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org
and for those who want to do folding on a pc, this site might be useful: http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/

-Dr. D.

mmmdreg
May 6, 2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
in folding...

how does one know if it's moving along? it says "working" but the progress remains at 0.0% even after a while.... how long does a unit take normally? i'm on dual 800... just so i know if something's not working right or if i just need to give it some time....

The first unit seems to take ages always...maybe its a benchmark thing...anyway, I have the SETI screensaver that runs when I'm not here and folding@home client that is a startup item when I login...so we don't have to divide our efforts...

jelloshotsrule
May 6, 2002, 12:47 PM
when using the folding control app.... do you have to do something to report the results?

i completed a unit but it didn't show up on the website that i can tell...

mmmdreg
May 6, 2002, 03:44 PM
when using the folding control app.... do you have to do something to report the results?

i completed a unit but it didn't show up on the website that i can tell...

Are you looking at your user profile or teampage? Because if you change teams during a work unit, it goes towards only one of the teams but you can see your entire history in your user profile..

buffsldr
May 7, 2002, 10:09 PM
I show jelloshots as contributing, has this issue been resolved?

we got six member as of now. rock on, this research may save lives

jelloshotsrule
May 7, 2002, 10:37 PM
yeah, it's showing up now... no problem.

Dr. Distortion
May 9, 2002, 08:49 AM
Hmm, I'm not yet going to switch to the macrumors f@h team... first I want to get with the MacAddict team into the top 10 teams, and thereafter I'll switch to MacRumors

mmmdreg
May 11, 2002, 07:34 AM
Come on everyone...we need way more members...lets try top 500 by the end of the year...thats over 500 we have to gain but we can do it with more members..GO! MR! GO!..

backspinner
May 16, 2002, 04:26 PM
Top 500 will take not to long if we have more PC members...

mc68k
May 19, 2002, 01:06 AM
I'm in. Can you go back and resume folding where you left off?

Dr. Distortion
May 19, 2002, 04:53 AM
Yes, folding has an excellent resume option, it stores its calculated data after every finished frame, so the maximum amount of lost crunching time is about 1 hour.

Again, I would like to reccomend to everyone Folding Control from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org for an easy and smooth way to administer Folding.

j763
May 19, 2002, 08:07 AM
Dr. Distortion -- the folding control is great - I'm now processing WU's a lot faster! Does anyone know of a similar control for windows. My PC is taking a *long time* to process one work unit and I suspect it's just because of the graphics...

Falleron
May 19, 2002, 02:39 PM
Ok, help me out here!! I think I must being stupid or something! I downloaded Folding Control + it does not seem to be doing anthing! It tells me which protein is being processed, but there is no progress (Dual 1Ghz, also running SETI).

Do you have to register??

On the user tab, what do you enter? I have put a username (dont know if I need to register a username somewhere + I have put 3446 in the Team Number. Is this correct??

mc68k
May 19, 2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
Ok, help me out here!! I think I must being stupid or something! I downloaded Folding Control + it does not seem to be doing anthing! It tells me which protein is being processed, but there is no progress (Dual 1Ghz, also running SETI).

Do you have to register??

On the user tab, what do you enter? I have put a username (dont know if I need to register a username somewhere + I have put 3446 in the Team Number. Is this correct??
To actually register some progress, you have to wait a while for it to register. The increments are in 2.0% (in the GUI client). So if you see the protein moving in the display, then it's working.

I don't know about the CLI client.

IndyGopher
May 19, 2002, 10:51 PM
Right now I am putting away about 100 units a week on SETI.. Can someone who has run both give me an idea of how many I could expect to produce on the Folding effort? Or is it too dissimilar to make those sorts of comparisons?

Falleron
May 21, 2002, 06:00 AM
Ok, I process bar completed twice + I nothing has happened! Nothing on the team stats + cant find my name on the search page. Whats going on? When the progress reached the end no message was given, just seems to have started again! Has it sent them back?

j763
May 21, 2002, 06:26 AM
i've found that some of the time the standard folding@home OS X client just doesn't send the WU's back... try the folding control instead, that's always worked for me.

j763
May 21, 2002, 06:37 AM
BTW, i should have mentioned that there is a delay from when you submit your WU to it showing up on the page... This is normally a couple of hours.

Falleron
May 21, 2002, 06:42 AM
Cheers, they have appeared on the team stats now!

mc68k
May 22, 2002, 06:11 PM
Seems that the different computers I'm running folding on get different workloads. Maybe because of the different sections that get sent to me? Some frames take 18-20 mins while others take only 4 even on the same computer with different work units.

Anyways, I've become addicted. It's real fun, thanks everyone. Our team is moving up in the ranks!

littlejim
May 23, 2002, 10:06 AM
One thing I noticed but I'm not too sure how it happened. I got a *lot* of Core_65.exe processes going, all taking <x> percentage CPU time. It could have been me running the screen saver and the graphic client at the same time?
First time I've tried an <something>@ home. Feels good ... actually putting your kit to some real use.

littlejim (a.k.a captainpovey)

mc68k
May 23, 2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by littlejim
One thing I noticed but I'm not too sure how it happened. I got a *lot* of Core_65.exe processes going, all taking <x> percentage CPU time. It could have been me running the screen saver and the graphic client at the same time?
First time I've tried an <something>@ home. Feels good ... actually putting your kit to some real use.

littlejim (a.k.a captainpovey)
Yeah, I feel the same way. :)

The Core_65.exe's are the apps that get downloaded to execute the work and take up the most CPU time. You will not benefit by running more than one of these. I would suggest to run a command-line client if possible it is faster and doesn't use the video card.

Tiauguinho
May 23, 2002, 11:24 AM
I've got the GUI version of folding@home and I've noticed that you guys are talking about Folding Control. I went to the page where you can download that, but first I would like to make you a question. Will it be faster than the GUI version???? I'm on a Powerbook 550/768Mb. I want to processe units faster so that we can take our team to the top while helping a medical research. Is it faster????

littlejim
May 23, 2002, 11:25 AM
The Core_65.exe's are the apps that get downloaded to execute the work and take up the most CPU time. You will not benefit by running more than one of these. I would suggest to run a command-line client if possible it is faster and doesn't use the video card.
I didn't mean to run multiple core_65.exe! Something did it without asking me! I only noticed when my system started to grind a bit.

I will try the console ... but I must admit, it's soothing watching the display!

littlejim a.k.a. captainpovey
----------------------------------

mc68k
May 23, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
I've got the GUI version of folding@home and I've noticed that you guys are talking about Folding Control. I went to the page where you can download that, but first I would like to make you a question. Will it be faster than the GUI version???? I'm on a Powerbook 550/768Mb. I want to processe units faster so that we can take our team to the top while helping a medical research. Is it faster????
Nothing is really "faster" per se, the folding system benchmarks your system, then gives you a score based on your CPU time. So regardless of how fast your system is etc., you get points for CPU time. As for "faster", if you look at a program on Mac/PC that guages CPU usage, every time it has to draw to the screen in a graphical client, it takes up lots of CPU. With a command line version, it just uses the CPU for the Core_65 process to fold the structure of the polypeptide chain.

Tiauguinho
May 24, 2002, 06:41 AM
Thanks mc68k!

If I minimize the window or hide the app will it help?

P.S. Arn... we need more people in our team! how can we bring them?

j763
May 24, 2002, 07:41 AM
Tiauguinho -- minimizing or hiding the window may help, but hey, why not get Folding Control?? It's a lot better than the standard Folding@Home OS X client.

Tiauguinho
May 24, 2002, 09:24 AM
I'll download it now j763! Let's do some folding!!!

j763
May 24, 2002, 09:45 AM
I'd be folding a lot faster with a G4 :D Oh well, my white G3 iBook (my only mac :( ) is always on and always folding, so i should get through some WU's pretty quickly...

mmmdreg
May 25, 2002, 07:53 AM
I seem to have multiple CCachServ's or something in my processes...is this anything to do with folding?

Rower_CPU
May 28, 2002, 01:04 AM
We've done well so far, thanks in no small part to mc68k.

Here's the latest from the team stats page:
Team active since 2001-09-07 12:00:05
Date of last work unit 2002-05-27 23:01:45
Active processors (within a week) 72
Team id # 3446
Score 1188.1900024414
WU 1131
Team Ranking 213
homepage http://www.macrumors.com
Team members
Rank
(within team) User Score WU
1 mc68k 521.08 508
2 BuffSldr 258.33 332
3 Backspinner 181.28 130
4 Rower_CPU 52 17
5 firewire2001 45 9
6 jelloshotsrule 38 58
7 Bob_Eliason 27.5 10
8 captainpovey 23 19
9 mark_sloan 7 5
10 j763 7 5
11 jakejess 6.5 4
12 y 5 1
13 mmmdreg 3 6
14 captainpovey 2 4
15 Tiauguinho 2 4
16 Amichalo 1.5 3
17 mmmdreg 1 2
18 Falleron 1 2
19 paulieparker 1 2
20 Beej 1 2
21 Entropy 1 2
22 stromie952 1 2
23 fbcfabric 0.5 1
24 CountZero 0.5 1
25 opus_gumbo 0.5 1
26 nparker 0.5 1

Team ranking 213 and climbing rapidly...w00t!!

mc68k
May 28, 2002, 01:17 AM
I encourage everyone to contribute. I belive folding is more productive than SETI.

Even if you just do 1 WU, you would be helping out the team greatly. It really is fun.

Thanks to everyone who has made this team so great. We should aim to be the highest Mac-based team on there.

backspinner
May 28, 2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
Thanks to everyone who has made this team so great. We should aim to be the highest Mac-based team on there.

What I have to say is that I lost my goal to become number one completely now that you rushed in with 36 processors...

I can't sell the idea of having my coworkers' computers folding any more so I went back to one processor. So ranking 3 is in reach for everybody!

Falleron
May 28, 2002, 08:10 AM
I have started running Folding as well as SETI now. I should be sending a few units in. Is there any way to store untis for folding?

Unregistered
May 28, 2002, 09:48 AM
I have started running Folding as well as SETI now. I should be sending a few units in. Is there any way to store untis for folding?
Your units did show up on the server. What do you mean by storing units?

Falleron
May 28, 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Your units did show up on the server. What do you mean by storing units?

I have only got experience with SETI. There, you download some data, send back the result + download some more data. This is a unit. Presumably, the same process must happen on the Folding? I know when I finished my last units Folding Control did not give me a message saying it need new data. The situation that I want is a way so that I dont have to keep logging onto the net all the time.

mc68k
May 28, 2002, 12:34 PM

I have only got experience with SETI. There, you download some data, send back the result + download some more data. This is a unit. Presumably, the same process must happen on the Folding? I know when I finished my last units Folding Control did not give me a message saying it need new data. The situation that I want is a way so that I dont have to keep logging onto the net all the time.
That was me last time as Unregistered, I guess I had some problems.

Is "Folding Control" referring to the graphical client? Which OS are you running F@H on?

Folding DL's a WU and depending on your settings will either ask for confirmation or just DL another WU and reports the previous one back to the server automatically.

Falleron
May 28, 2002, 01:35 PM
I downloaded and installed the Folding Control that was mentioned near the start of the thread. I am using OSX (client version - no fancy graphics).

mc68k
May 28, 2002, 04:04 PM
I downloaded and installed the Folding Control that was mentioned near the start of the thread. I am using OSX (client version - no fancy graphics).
I don't know if there's switches or what not, but the default settings for the console version just tell you if you've completed a WU or not, but don't tell you all the frames like the console version for Win.

From the FAQ (http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html):
How do the results get back to you?

Your computer will automatically upload the results to our server each time it finishes a work unit, and download a new job at that time. At this time, there may be problems if you computer is only connected to the internet sporadically. We are working on better support for these cases. Only the console version currently works at all over a modem connection, and there still may occasionally be a few bugs with that.

firewire2001
May 28, 2002, 05:10 PM
hey.. jus noticed.. we've gone up a whole lot in ranking since a few weeks ago... also.. way to go mc68k! 582 work units! wow...

Falleron
May 28, 2002, 06:14 PM

I don't know if there's switches or what not, but the default settings for the console version just tell you if you've completed a WU or not, but don't tell you all the frames like the console version for Win.

From the FAQ (http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html):

Folding control hides the terminal. All you get is the progress bar (it is an applet I think) + a short summary of which protein you are looking at. As far as I can see there is no way to customise it. Dont worry, I dont have any problems (apart from it seems to take ages to complete a unit). It would be nice to know if there is a program out there that allowed me to process lots of units + then send them all back at the same time - minor problem though.

Cheers for the Help mc68k.

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 02:47 AM
For the last 4 days I have been folding the same unit!!! I spent about 12 hours yesterday folding but had to turn my computer off. Anyway, I just turned it back on + I have lost all the progress I did yesterday!!!! I am so seriously considering quitting the folding team! Why does it not save the progress every couple of minutes?? I am actually quite annoyed that I lost about all those hours of processing.

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 03:02 AM
For the last 4 days I have been folding the same unit!!! I spent about 12 hours yesterday folding but had to turn my computer off. Anyway, I just turned it back on + I have lost all the progress I did yesterday!!!! I am so seriously considering quitting the folding team! Why does it not save the progress every couple of minutes?? I am actually quite annoyed that I lost about all those hours of processing.

That's strange...anytime I shut down the machine, F@H automatically resumes where it left off.

Do you mean it just lost the frame it was working on, or the whole WU?

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

That's strange...anytime I shut down the machine, F@H automatically resumes where it left off.

Do you mean it just lost the frame it was working on, or the whole WU?
It was not the whole unit, about a sixth or so. Not sure if thats a frame? I am using folding control so all I have is a progress bar.

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 07:28 AM
Something else weird just happened!!!!!!!! The progress bar was a fraction away from completion then it jumped back to about 2 cm away from completion!! Why???

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 12:03 PM
That really sucks! I know you've been having some problems with the program, so that must be really frustrating.

I've never used the control program, just the console one, so maybe mc68k can help you out there, again.

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 12:51 PM
Just went on the Folding Forum and it seems that V.3 is about to released. The good thing is that it should support Altivec!! Watch that ranking shoot up!

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 01:16 PM
Just went on the Folding Forum and it seems that V.3 is about to released. The good thing is that it should support Altivec!! Watch that ranking shoot up!

Nice! Can't wait to see the new score/WU.

buffsldr
Jun 2, 2002, 01:19 PM

Unfortunately it will be hard to measure any difference. Workunits take a different amount of time to complete depending on their complexity. How can we bench mark our results?

P.S. Let's make a push to get into the top 100 teams. Then maybe other macrumor members will get interested.

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 01:23 PM
Not sure how we can benchmark our scores. However, we will be in a better position to process more units than our windows competitors.

Once we are in the top 100 we can look at this team page to see how we are going.

http://team.macnn.com/fold/rank3.phtml

Should make it more interesting + maybe get new members. I am part of the SETI team as well so I only process a few units for folding. SETI is my main focus, but, folding is a good cause.

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 01:26 PM
Your benchmark should be your score per WU.

Divide the score by the number of work units completed and you get an idea of your performance level.

Not an exact science, but relevant nevertheless.

buffsldr
Jun 2, 2002, 01:38 PM
Your benchmark should be your score per WU.

Divide the score by the number of work units completed and you get an idea of your performance level.

Not an exact science, but relevant nevertheless.

Taken from the folding home page (http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#stats.howcred)

"How you decide how much credit a work unit is worth?

We benchmark each unit such that a 400 MHZ Pentium III can finish a work unit worth 1.0 credits in 1 day. Shorter and longer units are credited appropriately."

It seems that your score is independent of the time it takes you to complete it. For example, I could have a faster machine, but run the app less often.

Perhaps you are suggesting that I record the time it takes to complete a workunit that is worth one point, then do the same with the altivec version?

This method has a weakness in that I cannot request a wu that is worth one point, I may keep getting more or less. But it can be done if I dillegently watch when I finish and end wus, though I would have to camp next to my comp for days.

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 01:56 PM
I was under the impression that your machine was given WUs based on the benchmarking that takes place at the start of each WU.

I thought that machines that do better on the benchmark are given WUs worth more points...but that seems not to be the case.

Back to the drawaing board...

buffsldr
Jun 2, 2002, 01:58 PM
I was under the impression that your machine was given WUs based on the benchmarking that takes place at the start of each WU.

I thought that machines that do better on the benchmark are given WUs worth more points...but that seems not to be the case.

I also believe that faster comps get the harder stuff, cuz you only have a limited number of days to complete the workunits.

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 01:59 PM

Thats what I assumed as well. I have a Dual 1Ghz, so I assumed thats why I had 5 point units.

buffsldr
Jun 2, 2002, 02:03 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I agree, faster comps get the good stuff.

But...... do we know that this trend is a 1:1 relationship? Maybe, folding has 5 tiers, A, B, C, D, E, with E being the fastest. So two comps can be in the top tier, and one is a little faster, but they both only get 5 points per work unit,

Rower_CPU
Jun 2, 2002, 02:08 PM
The other thing is that machines don't always get the same kind of WUs to work on.

I've had 100 frame WUs and 10 frame WUs...obviously the 10 frame ones are worth more, since they take much longer to finish. But the 100 frames ones finish more quickly (4-5min per frame). Which is worth more in this scenario? Finishing a large WU or finishing a small one quickly?

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr
Sorry for the confusion, I agree, faster comps get the good stuff.

But...... do we know that this trend is a 1:1 relationship? Maybe, folding has 5 tiers, A, B, C, D, E, with E being the fastest. So two comps can be in the top tier, and one is a little faster, but they both only get 5 points per work unit,
Good stuff? I would assume its just more complex, therefore it would take a slower computer too long to process. Thats the reason its worth more. This is what I assume happens.

1. On the first unit a benchmark is done + stored in a preference
2. Then, each unit after that is downloaded depending on those preferences.

buffsldr
Jun 2, 2002, 03:12 PM

can you post the hyperlink where you read this?

thanks

Falleron
Jun 2, 2002, 04:53 PM
The forum is :

http://forum.folding-community.org/

One of the threads is:

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=102

QUOTE:
We are working on a new core which does support Altivec (we'll have to use 32 bit floats).

More soon.

Vijay
/QUOTE

There are other, take a look round and you will find the sorts of things I did.

buffsldr
Jun 2, 2002, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the references.

Falleron
Jun 3, 2002, 07:17 AM
Look at this page. It has a list of the top 1000 teams. At the moment we are in about 143th place + rising!

http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

mc68k
Jun 3, 2002, 11:43 PM
Glad to see you guys are excited about this. I just finished a WU on my beast that took ~3.5 days. Prob one of thos 700+ level proteins or what not.

Altvec will be good for them, but for us I don't think so. Your score is based on CPU time. The WU might go faster or their benchmarks might give bigger proteins based on the processor architecture.

Seems that the higher the # of the protein, the more time it takes to complete— from my experiences. I could finsish a 314 protein in no time but some others take all wekkend running 24/7.

I'm hooked. Folding is like a drug. :)

buffsldr
Jun 3, 2002, 11:45 PM
You rock, mc.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 11:47 PM
Glad to see you guys are excited about this. I just finished a WU on my beast that took ~3.5 days. Prob one of thos 700+ level proteins or what not.

do you nkow how much you got for that one?

as for the scoring based on your comp speed... that seems a bit off. just cause i have a dual 800 and i started at .5 each unit. then at some point i've gotten some more. but it hasn't been consistent.

then again, i run the control app and folding@home app...

i STILL don't get the console ****e. oh well.

just out of curiousity.... who all is running folding on just one computer? i am, so i'm just curious how i match up against others not using comp labs and whatnot.

mc68k
Jun 3, 2002, 11:51 PM
You rock, mc.
Thanks but..man, you rock. You were my hero of folding for a long time. I was so excited when I passed you. I never thought I could. :)

But our team will be up there for sure. There's another team mac team in like the 26th spot. I think we'll slow down pretty soon on the rank climbing if we don't get more members. God knows we have enough here at MR.

What will motivate them? Candy perhaps?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 11:52 PM

No man, you rock. You were my hero of folding for a long time. I was so excited when I passed you. I never thought I could. :)

i'm signing up now to direct a made for tv movie about the rise and fall of the generations of macrumors folding@home champs..... you guys want to play yourselves or do you have suggestions for people to play you?

buffsldr
Jun 3, 2002, 11:53 PM
i have been using my g4 466
3 pIIIs at work
and one dual proc at work (pc)

i recently added a pc at home

mc68k
Jun 3, 2002, 11:56 PM

i'm signing up now to direct a made for tv movie about the rise and fall of the generations of macrumors folding@home champs..... you guys want to play yourselves or do you have suggestions for people to play you?

Geez I'm gone for like a week and you get all those posts. Man you must be on here a lot. :)

That's funny! LOL I'm just a hapless nerd, not an actor.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 3, 2002, 11:58 PM
Geez I'm gone for like a week and you get all those posts. Man you must be on here a lot. :)

That's funny! LOL I'm just a hapless nerd, not an actor.

what posts? this past week has been slow for me. been actually doing stuff.... the busy week was the one before that. THEN people cried about random conversations in the community section, so i have slowed....

well if you're not gonna act for yourself, who do you recommend? brad pitt? antonio banderas? give me some guidance... casting is crucial.. and what about buffsldr?! maybe someone like robert redford or sean connery? someone wise and passing the torch...

ps. it's cause i still don't have a job. hopefully that'll change tomorrow.

mc68k
Jun 3, 2002, 11:59 PM
i have been using my g4 466
3 pIIIs at work
and one dual proc at work (pc)

i recently added a pc at home
I took over two labs plus my home machine. I could get TONS more if they would release a classic client...but I'll have to wait. I might be able to run folding on a Solaris server here unless they have some kind of CPU quota (when Stanford makes a client for Solaris).

I think they would get a ton more WU with a Classic client. I was contemplating running it through VPC but I don't know of performance issues there.

mc68k
Jun 4, 2002, 12:08 AM
THEN people cried about random conversations in the community section, so i have slowed....
That's the whole point of the community section. They shouldn't be down on you, I like your antics.

well if you're not gonna act for yourself, who do you recommend? brad pitt? antonio banderas? give me some guidance... casting is crucial...
In real life, I'm a bit eccentric, so I would say Adam Sandler. I've been told many a time I bear a resemblance (that and Gump— BAH!)

ps. it's cause i still don't have a job. hopefully that'll change tomorrow.

hey, wans't trying to dog ya, man. If I didn't have a job, I would be on here like he plague too. It's just too much fun. Macs, cool people, and other such nonsense. You da' man!

Tomorrow...hmmm..
Well best of luck to you. :)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 12:15 AM

That's the whole point of the community section. They shouldn't be down on you, I like your antics.

In real life, I'm a bit eccentric, so I would say Adam Sandler. I've been told many a time I bear a resemblance (that and Gump— BAH!)

hey, wans't trying to dog ya, man. If I didn't have a job, I would be on here like he plague too. It's just too much fun. Macs, cool people, and other such nonsense. You da' man!

Tomorrow...hmmm..
Well best of luck to you. :)

antics schmantics! yeah. when i was getting some folks to laugh i got a bit crazy. but. yeah..

sandler.... how about owen wilson???? he's eccentric... haha.

i know you weren't dogging me. and yeah, hopefully i will have a job. meeting a guy tomorrow about editing. if he says no, i will punch him.

thanks for the "you da' man" vote of confidence. can i use macrumors member mc68k as a reference or no????

mc68k
Jun 4, 2002, 12:24 AM
can i use macrumors member mc68k as a reference or no????

Any time. Yeah, you can use me as a reference. I don't know about Owen Wilson, he's not my style. I'm a cynic and have brown hair to boot.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 11:54 AM

Any time. Yeah, you can use me as a reference. I don't know about Owen Wilson, he's not my style. I'm a cynic and have brown hair to boot.

hmm. not sure that'd help me with my job.... but it can't hurt (actually, it probably can)

i bet owen wilson is a cynic. well, maybe not. he's a bit of a spaced out hippie type nutball... ha

how about luke wilson then????? eh????

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 12:16 PM
Hi, what is the command for starting folding from the console??

Thanks

mc68k
Jun 7, 2002, 12:52 PM
Hi, what is the command for starting folding from the console??

Thanks
First you have to make the .bin (binary) file executable with this command:
chmod +x pathname
Change to the subdirectory that it's located in, then you just type it's absolute pathname to run it:
./FAH2...
You can hit tab to complete the rest of this command. This file will create various other files for config and storing data, so it's best to create a folder before running it so you don't clutter things up.

I found some switches for this program, but none of them seem to work properly (maybe due to the porting?) Notably:
-verbosity n scale from 1 to 9
-send n which WU frame you want to send to the server (all being all frames)

You can find the rest of the switches with the -help command.

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 12:54 PM

First you have to make the .bin (binary) file executable with this command:

Change to the subdirectory that it's located in, then you just type it's absolute pathname to run it:

You can hit tab to complete the rest of this command. This file will create various other files for config and storing data, so it's best to create a folder before running it so you don't clutter things up.

I found some switches for this program, but none of them seem to work properly (maybe due to the porting?) Notably:
-verbosity n scale from 1 to 9
-send n which WU frame you want to send to the server (all being all frames)
Thanks mc68k. I was using Folding Control which set most of it up. However, I wanted to play around with unix instead :-) . I have worked it out now! Thanks. Were getting near the top 100!! You must be running quite a few computers?

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 12:58 PM
Thanks mc68k. I was using Folding Control which set most of it up. However, I wanted to play around with unix instead :-) . I have worked it out now! Thanks. Were getting near the top 100!! You must be running quite a few computers?

A few? That's an understatement...

He was at 42 CPUs briefly...now he's gone back down to 26, since I took some away from him here at work.:D

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 01:00 PM
I just want V.3 to come out! Hopefully it should be optimised for the G4!

mc68k
Jun 7, 2002, 01:20 PM

No prob. :) X is turning me into a Unix nerd.

Yeah, we're slowing down dramatically because of lack of members. We have like 27 when we have like 5K+ members. 'Tis a shame...a bloody shame...::shakes head:: . How can we turn them to the light side?

I'm addicted. I've got computers here in our lab + another library lab running the console client. I've only got my Yosemite and my s900 at home running. The rest are not Macs, but get the job done, nevertheless. If they release a freakin' 9 version they would have soooooooo many more people folding. I think the bulk of their power folders are running labs, probably a good portion edu labs, with older macs that can't run X or shouldn't run it (like us here!). So I'm stuck with a lab sitting here when it could be folding. Stupid stanford, grow a brain. 9 is NOT outdated yet, cheesy funeral or not.

Anyways, Gromacs and Altivec should make those painful high-scoring units shorter. I was reading the boards yesterday and the demeanor was definitely not in the mac direction. They said Win and Linux ports first, then X (from Linux). In other words, X is last priority, which doesn't make me too hopeful of a 9 version-- since toolbox programming is not for the faint of heart.

So anyways, I hope 3 comes out soon. Here's (http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=443) a link to the folding forums in which the topic is raised. Enjoy.

littlejim
Jun 7, 2002, 01:45 PM

I'm away for a week as from tomorrow and I hope to see us in the top 100 when I get back!
I guess my units will stop incrementing soon as my DSL connection tends to go AWOL (and/or my ALCATEL modem goes BANG) every two days or so.

littlejim a.k.a. captainpovey
-----------------------------------

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 01:49 PM

No prob. :) X is turning me into a Unix nerd.

Yeah, we're slowing down dramatically because of lack of members. We have like 27 when we have like 5K+ members. 'Tis a shame...a bloody shame...::shakes head:: . How can we turn them to the light side?

I'm addicted. I've got computers here in our lab + another library lab running the console client. I've only got my Yosemite and my s900 at home running. The rest are not Macs, but get the job done, nevertheless. If they release a freakin' 9 version they would have soooooooo many more people folding. I think the bulk of their power folders are running labs, probably a good portion edu labs, with older macs that can't run X or shouldn't run it (like us here!). So I'm stuck with a lab sitting here when it could be folding. Stupid stanford, grow a brain. 9 is NOT outdated yet, cheesy funeral or not.

Anyways, Gromacs and Altivec should make those painful high-scoring units shorter. I was reading the boards yesterday and the demeanor was definitely not in the mac direction. They said Win and Linux ports first, then X (from Linux). In other words, X is last priority, which doesn't make me too hopeful of a 9 version-- since toolbox programming is not for the faint of heart.

So anyways, I hope 3 comes out soon. Here's (http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=443) a link to the folding forums in which the topic is raised. Enjoy.
Fraid there wont be a OS9 version of folding! I read on a board that said that is was too much work to get it working. OSX is being left till last for a reason actually. All the bugs are being worked out on Linux + then a simple re-compile will make it work on OSX. Once the Linux version is out we should see the OSX version a couple of days later apparently.

mc68k
Jun 7, 2002, 01:50 PM
Top 100 is going to be a while w/o more help. We go up like a few a week and that will only get slower.

WE NEED MORE MEMBERS! EVEN 1 WU helps us! For the love of God...and when school starts I will slow down here too...

mc68k
Jun 7, 2002, 01:52 PM
I read on a board that said that is was too much work to get it working.
That's just an excuse. They would have more 9 then Linux members for sure, IMHO. It's in their best ineterests. Am I supposed to run it through VPC?

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 01:53 PM
Top 100 is going to be a while w/o more help. We go up like a few a week and that will only get slower.

WE NEED MORE MEMBERS! EVEN 1 WU helps us! For the love of God...and when school starts I will slow down here too...

Sure?? I just sent a 5 point unit back and we went up 2 places! From 121 --> 119!

mc68k
Jun 7, 2002, 02:00 PM

Sure?? I just sent a 5 point unit back and we went up 2 places! From 121 --> 119!
I saw that! Good work. Those 5 point WU's are killer.

I'm switching to the graphical client because the verbose switch doesn't work to show me the individual frames. I heard it said in the forums that the graphical client running hidden uses about the same as the console-- but you get a progress bar. I had the console quit on me the other day, it was stuck at the 71st frame for a couple days and a -send all did nothing. So the graphical client wins my vote.

I wonder if logging into >console and running folding would be any better? No Aqua overhead. Will try and get back to you...

Falleron
Jun 7, 2002, 02:03 PM

I saw that! Good work. Those 5 point WU's are killer.

I'm switching to the graphical client because the verbose switch doesn't work to show me the individual frames. I heard it said in the forums that the graphical client running hidden uses about the same as the console-- but you get a progress bar. I had the console quit on me the other day, it was stuck at the 71st frame for a couple days and a -send all did nothing. So the graphical client wins my vote.

I wonder if logging into >console and running folding would be any better? No Aqua overhead. Will try and get back to you...
Quite probably would speed things up! On SETI, a unit that would take 10 hours on the CLI version with Aqua loaded would take about 8 and a half without Aqua. Its probably the same sort of performance gain for Folding.

PS. This is the best site I have found for watching our progress (not updated too often I think though)

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 03:39 PM

Quite probably would speed things up! On SETI, a unit that would take 10 hours on the CLI version with Aqua loaded would take about 8 and a half without Aqua. Its probably the same sort of performance gain for Folding.

PS. This is the best site I have found for watching our progress (not updated too often I think though)

Wow! That's a great site...and up-to-date enough for me, they have us at 118.:D

Apple Computer Inc is only at 65 or so...

mc68k
Jun 7, 2002, 07:37 PM

http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/ Seems like they update every 6 hrs according to their table.

j763
Jun 8, 2002, 03:11 AM

What will motivate them? Candy perhaps?

LoL... Well, I'm giving it a shot (only got a white G3 ibook -- hopefully, i'll have a new eMac soon) but it would be nice to see some contribution to the MR folding team from all the other members... Hopefully we'll get into the top 100 soon...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 8, 2002, 07:45 AM
i basically leave mine going constantly. but i've just got a dual 800 so it only does so much....

we have about 500 points b/w us and top 100.... as of now. we'll see.

we climbed pretty quickly though. thanks to the freaky nerds over in cali........ ahh they my dogs

firewire2001
Jun 8, 2002, 09:42 AM
i was using one computer for a while - a 1ghz amd, but now i use a 400 mhz celeron in addition.. man, its kinda weird im beating a lotta pplz with way more wus than me... the 1ghz machine is used quite a bit by me for ps and video stufferz, and the 400 mhz is used every so often, but its definately slow..

oh well... i think they may award points for continously prcessing - my 400mhz machine hasnt been off for like 2 weeks, and the 1ghz machine i prolly turn off every few days - a week...

(theyre both pcs, that may be the advantage..)

i think its really cool we have a macrumors team.. i remember when we only had like 6 users ... now its like 27.. wee!

mc68k
Jun 8, 2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by j763

LoL... Well, I'm giving it a shot (only got a white G3 ibook -- hopefully, i'll have a new eMac soon) but it would be nice to see some contribution to the MR folding team from all the other members... Hopefully we'll get into the top 100 soon...
Nice, welcome to the team. Every WU helps us out. I think if we could get people just to do 1, we could move up a lot faster. I'm using every computer at my disposal. If we keep at the current pace, statsman.org says we'll have ~16K by the end of the summer for points.

I'd like to see my percentage overall for the team go down as we get more memebers to contribute. I don't know how we'll fair when school starts again.

j763
Jun 8, 2002, 11:30 AM
mc68k:

how many macs do you have access to???

j763
Jun 8, 2002, 11:35 AM
maccentral.com's now at #101, we're at #115 -- less than 500 (score, not wu) to go before we overtake...

Falleron
Jun 8, 2002, 11:37 AM
Cool! I just sent another 5 pointer back!

mc68k
Jun 8, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by j763
mc68k:

how many macs do you have access to???

The big question. Well, I have access to many computers, but the ones that I should use vs. can use are:

37 B&W "Yosemite"
2 G4 "Sawtooth"
4 7x00 series Macs
37+ Dell Optiplex
1 s900 w/XPC7400 OC'd to 510 (home)
1 7200 w/g3/400/OS 9.1 (home)
Univ Library Lab
Sparc w/Solaris (when they release a Solaris client)

So there's a lot of potential there, but stupid Stanford seems not to get the fact that a 9 client would get more labs that can't/shouldn't run X to crank out WU's. We don't have a license for X, so I can't run it there on the macs. A LOT of wasted potential w/3X+ macs sitting around. Shame on you Stanford. :(

No wonder those [H]ard Oc'er's and such have such high points— it's because all of their OS's are supported! We, the mac freaks, would at least be able to compete with complete support for our OS's. Makes the stats skewed when they can utilize an old machine, and we can't. And I specialize in old macs too. Damn shame.

The Library Lab is a computing center for students that is jam-packed with PIII machines. The only prob is that it's across campus, kids use it constantly, the machines don't stay on all night, and all the macs are running 9. But I've managed to get some WUs out of there anyways. Those are a lot of trouble. I hope they don't catch on to my scheme. It's not like hacking or anything. :)

And my boss took over some of my machines too. Needless to say, there's more potential than my current processor count indicates.

Rower_CPU
Jun 8, 2002, 01:08 PM
Once our Macs move to OS X, we'll be able to crank out WUs on another 30 or so machines...:D

We still need to recruit more members, though. The key to high ranking is in having a lot of members.

Falleron
Jun 8, 2002, 01:12 PM
More member is always good! However, we are not doing badly. Still moving swiftly up the rankings.

Falleron
Jun 12, 2002, 08:42 AM
We are at 100!!

See : http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 12:17 PM
We are at 100!!

See : http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/
Technically, yes-- that is if you don't count anonymous as a team. The main page of folding does and stasman does not. But give us some more hours and 100th place is ours. :) Than we can have live tracking vs. every 6 hrs. But stasman still has its place for the graphs and detailed stats and all.

Taft
Jun 12, 2002, 12:51 PM
We need to set our sites on MacCentral. We are very close to surpassing them. I've got all of my available computing resources working on it as we speak.

Taft

Unregistered
Jun 12, 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Taft
We need to set our sites on MacCentral. We are very close to surpassing them. I've got all of my available computing resources working on it as we speak.

Taft
Yes I agree. Were ready to burn past them soon. They've been getting weak, and we've been getting stronger in the past few days. It's only a matter of time. We've cranked up the tempo to passing mode here, too.

Thanks for the help Taft. :) And to the rest of the team too, for putting up some good, consistent #'s.

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 03:52 PM
Well, that was Mozilla, and it didn't have my info stored. :'( I can't edit my stupid typos, but alas...

Oh well, I'll use this post to say, we're going to slow down in climbing the ranks if we can't get some more WU's up. WE NEED MORE HELP, MR PEOPLE!

As of this post were in the Top 100-- w007! Way to go team, you're the best-est of the best, I mean it. :)