Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Hi All
I have a large music collection (around 80gb) on my laptop.
I'm a guitar teacher and its basically great when a student says I'd like to learn this. To be able to instantly have (9 times out of 10) what they want..
So I must keep this on the internal HD.

Recently I'm really getting into storing movies and tv shows on my mac..
The problem with this is that my hard drive isn't big enough for me to get much of a collection.

What I want to do is keep the music folder organising itself, so an import goes into Itunes folder and does all of that, but have a way of storing movies/tv shows on my external.

I don't want to tell itunes to let me organise it, or I'll have music files everywhere. Does anyone know of a good way of doing this?
Or have any advice on this topic.

Cheers
Nick

j.bond312

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
I have a way that i accidentally found, I had it so that Itunes automatically organized all of my music etc and i put all of this onto my external hard drive. Then one day i opened up itunes without the hard drive connected and what it did, was to instead create a local copy of the songs i imported with the external drive disconnected therefore showing them on the computer itself rather than on the external drive.

Therefore i would recommend simply putting all of the media you want on your external drive into itunes first, then once you are done, eject your external drive, then import all of the songs that you want to be kept on your computers hard drive this will then create a local copy. Then put the external drive back in afterwards and you now have a mixture of songs being kept on the computer and on the external drive that itunes organizes automatically, i hope thats what you are looking for!

Another way that will probably be just as good is to create a whole new itunes library? To do this when you click on itunes to open it hold the 'Shift' button on the keyboard and a window will appear asking you to create new library or choose library, simply create a new library and select a location for it, this is now a whole new itunes library whereby you could set to store all of your media onto the external drive and use the other library to store all of the music you want. Although this would mean having to switch between libraries and making sure you are within the correct library etc.

I personally would go for the first idea, i hope it helps! any problems then just message me or reply here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.