PDA

View Full Version : Return of the PowerMac Cube?

MacRumors
Nov 7, 2003, 12:54 AM
In July 2000 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2000/07/20000719110550.shtml), Apple introduced the PowerMac G4 Cube (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_450_cube.html) amidst rumors and speculation (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2000/07/20000716174052.shtml) on the new radical new form factor.

Due to poor sales, Apple discontinued the G4 Cube (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/jul/03cube.html) only one year later, though even today it remains a popular item (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59764,00.html) on the used market. Uncharacteristically, Apple's press release announcing the Cube's demise noted that "there is a small chance [Apple] will reintroduce an upgraded model of the unique computer in the future, but that there are no plans to do so at this time."

A new unconfirmed report sent to MacRumors claims that the Cube form factor may make a return, though no other details are presently available. At least one uncertain rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/05/20030519031019.shtml) from May also claimed the return of the Cube... in the form of a limited edition model celebrating the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Macintosh which was introduced in 1984. Readers may remember that Apple's previously released 20th Anniversary Macintosh (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/20th_mac/) was released in 1997 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Apple, itself.

Shrike_Priest
Nov 7, 2003, 12:57 AM
Sweet. a G5 cube would be awesome, and would stand a much better chance in the market then the G4 Cube did.

If all your choices are either G4s or very expensive G5 Powermac, the G5 Cube could sit happily in the middle as an option for those who want a cheap powerhouse.

adamcoop
Nov 7, 2003, 12:58 AM
Whoa! I'd be wetting my pants now... If I had any on.

Sorry.

you
Nov 7, 2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by adamcoop
Whoa! I'd be wetting my pants now... If I had any on.

Sorry.

Does that mean you peed you naked body?

anyways the return of the cube would be sweet. stick a 1.6-1.8 g5 in there. I would buy that in 2sec

Superdrive
Nov 7, 2003, 01:06 AM
I smell a new consumer mac!!!! :D :D :D

G5 Pleeeeeeeease, and I will buy!

mysticdp
Nov 7, 2003, 01:10 AM
VERY cool.

However, keep in mind that the Cube ran fanless. Which of course meant that cooling for the processor had to be taken care of some other way. With a G5 under the hood, _at present_ the only way to keep these puppies cool is to provide a lot of fans (and BIG heatsinks (sp?))

The options then appear to be:
a) Release before PowerBook G5 by somehow managing to keep the G5s cool in a tight enclosure.
b) Release with PowerBook G5 (mid next year?) when we are using smaller G5 processors and cooling has been worked out.
c) Use G4 processors (highly doubtful - this would have been like using G3 processors in the original Cube)

I would say option b) is most likely, and therefore, we will not see these until we see PBG5s, and not for the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh. That is of course assuming the Cube is on the return.

Proove me wrong Apple.

mac15
Nov 7, 2003, 01:41 AM
haha bring on the iMac 3.0 no wait cube :)

you
Nov 7, 2003, 01:47 AM
they could increase the dimensions a bit to help with heat? Do you guys think that they would do anything to make it more expandable, would it be able to have more that 4 gigs of ram?

joshbuddy
Nov 7, 2003, 02:18 AM
Though a fan cooled g5 cube would more than likely be very difficult, water cooling in a desktop style system could be a possiblity...

i think the idea of a g5 watercooled cube would be very appealing..

but isn't this basically what was in the last ars.mac? apple should build a shuttle mac, and frankly, if they ever did make a shuttle mac, i can think about 20 bazillion people who would buy one ... but i can still wish

*j*

CoreForce
Nov 7, 2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by joshbuddy

yeah, you've got much more options in cooling for a powerline-charged computer than you have for a battery-charged one. Also, weight does not play that big role in the game...

Eric_Z
Nov 7, 2003, 04:11 AM
I so hope that this is true, even thought "the return of the cube" rumors pop up regulary from time to time.

My hopes is that such a macine would use single G5s one PCI-Express graphics slot and "one" combined PCIX/PCI-Express "slot". The Power mac would use G5s at the same clockrate but duals and uppgrade from AGP and (3)PCIX to PCI-Express and (4-5)PCIX/PCI-Express "slots".

The question is if Apple should decide to bring back the cube, should they should keep the G4 Power Mac, but dump the price by 100 - 200 $ across the line? And is it really necessary to keep it fanless, even for the high end CPUs?

Analog Kid
Nov 7, 2003, 04:41 AM
*j*

With fish!

Warm water tropical fish, mind you...

aasmund
Nov 7, 2003, 05:01 AM
My guess if they relaunched it, would bethe following specifications:

1.25 ghz G4
120 GB Ata100
512 mb ram
combo dvd/cd-r slot in
g-force mx 440
airport extreme ooptional
bluetooth built in
sound card with optical out
tv-out

price: $499.

this would sell very well I believe, and would not take away customers from other products.

manitoubalck
Nov 7, 2003, 06:11 AM
Yeah; why not? Bring back the cube, suped up and ready to pop the toast.

I think even I may be tempted to buy one.

s10
Nov 7, 2003, 06:22 AM
Well, well...the new iMacs are coming next year...Cube + iMac + G5 =??

dobbin
Nov 7, 2003, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure exactly when the 20th anniversary is, but I would think that sometime in 2004 would be a very good time to bring back the cube. Like me, lots of original cube owners are probably now thinking that their machines are getting a bit old and slow and would be ready to buy a new one. But they don't want to replace a beauty like the cube with a whacking great G5 tower or a poncy little iMac!

I'll have one if its under £1000 (UK pounds)

azdude
Nov 7, 2003, 07:18 AM
So... January 24th it is ;)

stockscalper
Nov 7, 2003, 07:47 AM
Why don't Jobs just change the name of the company to NeXT?

Xerocs
Nov 7, 2003, 07:47 AM
I would buy one

with these specs:

2ghz g5
sATA hd ~120gb
ATI 9800 pro
one PCI slot
alu case
Audio Out/In,
DVD±RW (slotin)
up to 4gb RAM
2x512MB dual channel
for only 1,5k€

perfect game station...

any1 knows something about MAX PAYNE 2 and Battlefiled 1942 macintosh port?

ogminlo
Nov 7, 2003, 07:55 AM
If you can't wait to see if they really do the Cube again, you can always max your current cube out with upgrades. It's not cheap, but neither is a new one. I'm thinking a 1.4 GHz G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM, a Radeon 9000 Pro, and a slick new aluminum enclosure (http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/enclosure/)...

Maybe the D-Link Bluetooth stub (you'd never see it under there) with the wireless keys and mouse, and a bigger ATA drive inside...

Maybe a slot SuperDrive from a powerbook too...

Now I want one!

Hawthorne
Nov 7, 2003, 08:05 AM
For most business applications. Face it, the vast majority of Windows boxes out there are in cubicles, with corporate drones parked in front of them. They don't need the speed and cost of a PowerMac, and the all-in-one iMac restricts them to upgrading everything, even if they just want a different monitor.

A Cube would allow them some flexibility in upgrades at a cost that could be reasonable. Combine that with reduced worry of viruses and reduced IT costs of a Mac, and Apple's market share could be poised to take off.

jayscheuerle
Nov 7, 2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by aasmund

1.25 ghz G4
120 GB Ata100
512 mb ram
combo dvd/cd-r slot in
g-force mx 440
bluetooth built in
tv-out

this would sell very well I believe, and would not take away customers from other products.

That's exactly the type of cube that would sell. A high-end G5 cube would fail again and again and again...

Just take the display off the iMac and call it the Hemisphere.

$499 would be awesome, but I'd order one tomorrow at $599...

jamesatzones
Nov 7, 2003, 08:39 AM
I'm all for the Cube coming back. Apple needs a low priced system, basically an iMac without the display. That is one of the biggest things clients request for...

BRING ON THE CUBE!!!

jamesatzones
Nov 7, 2003, 09:18 AM
What about two versions, high end and low end... Small form factor...

dho
Nov 7, 2003, 09:36 AM
I love my cube :)

I dont see a new one selling well though.

with low profit margins and apples shift to more laptops it doesnt seem like the time to be adding annother desktop.

who knows

dieselg4
Nov 7, 2003, 09:44 AM
Not to hammer the headless amc thing into the ground again, but how long will it be before they realize that not everyone who wants a lot of pixel real-estate wants to spend over $1000 on an LCD display? A head less mac (like cube or imac, competetively priced ) would be an excellent entry system. I know the eMac is supposed to have this covered, but really, a 17" screen? That's SOO 2000 . . . Whya make people pay for soemthing that they might not want or probably already have?

Sol
Nov 7, 2003, 09:52 AM
The original Cube failed because it was overpriced. If Apple plans to offer an Anniversary Mac Cube then it would make sense to update all the hardware components and keep it at the same prices as before.

If Apple plans to reintroduce the Cube into its product grid for good then the price will definately have to be lowered. Ideally the Cube would be priced less than an iMac and more than an eMac.

As for PCI slots, the Cube would not need them. FireWire and USB are all the I/O ports the majority of computer users need these days.

SiliconAddict
Nov 7, 2003, 09:53 AM
*shakes head* Jobs is a persistent SOB. Bet this cube will fail as well. Expansion is just as important as form.

But if I was looking for form and didn’t care about expansion. Screw a cube. I would want an orb with a smoky plastic shell and underneath you would have patches of metal (same type used I the G5.) that would cover the inside in a Tetris jigsaw type pattern. With the Apple logo embedded on the top that glows a soft white, think powerbook logo. The DVD drive would slide out the front seamless with the orb. The base would be a tripod with strips of metal, G5 type metal again, connecting each leg. On one of the strips you would have the connectors for the monitor, digital audio out/in analog out/in, a connector for power. On another leg you would have a connector for USB 2, FW400/800. The tripod would have 2 cables that would connect to the orb at its base and that’s all the ports that would be on the device itself.
If you are are going to go proprietary then GO proprietary. :)

jayscheuerle
Nov 7, 2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Sol
Ideally the Cube would be priced less than an iMac and more than an eMac.

Why in the world would it be more than an eMac?

Apple needs a $600 minimalist machine. It could even be an iBook without the keyboard or screen. Heck, keep the keyboard & there's your whole computer!

Mr. Anderson
Nov 7, 2003, 10:07 AM
It would be quite cool to have a G5 Cube with a super drive ;)

It would be better than having an iMac in many ways. And I think that the big issue at hand is how will they have an iMac and Cube available at the same time and make them both sell.....

If it happens its going to be very interesting......:D

D

Sweetfeld28
Nov 7, 2003, 10:15 AM
If they are going to reintroduce the Cube it needs to contain:

1. A G5 processor (doesn't matter what speed)
2. At least 2 Gigs of DDR RAM
3. A SuperDrive
4. Dual Display Video Card w/ S-Video
5. At least one PCI-X slot (for maybe later proceesor upgrades or something else.

Now mind you that this cube would have a very high temperature. So, i think that Apple should incorperate either somekind of super quite fans, or build the case so that it is sound proof so that you can't hear the fans running. If thats not possible, then i would use the water cooling technology that is being used in PCs.

iN8
Nov 7, 2003, 10:28 AM
Seeing that the eMac is taking over the consumer space and the iMac is moving more toward the prosumer space, it is time for the iMac to lose the all-in-one form factor and move to a separate case and monitor deal. essentially a cube like everyone is saying. High performance minimum expandability and low price. I'd like to be able to get an "iCube" alone for around $1000 and with a 17" Cinema Display for around $1500 and with a 20" Cinema Display for around $2000 with bundle pricing.

That would frickin' sell.

bronxred
Nov 7, 2003, 10:29 AM
my thoughts on the new iMac G5 Cube...

1) it's an iMac (replaces the iMac completely...it MUST to avoid confusion caused last time around by having both a Cube w/o display AND an iMac with display in the same price range.)

2) it's METAL (one of the reasons I would never have bought the PowerMac G4 Cube was that it looked like a Kleenex dispenser to me...sorry, I love the cube aspect ala NeXT, but in the stand, it was not a true cube, and it just did not look "mean" enough for me. now that Apple's going metal, expect the iMac to be metallified as well, upping its class factor from the cheaper looking white plastic now used.)

3) it's a G5 (c'mon now...it's two years later? you think they're gonna come out with ANOTHER G4 Cube? I don't think so! make mine maximized! they can keep the MHz lower than the PowerMacs to differentiate and keep the cost low enough to include a flat panel display.)

4) new metal-casing displays -- deals for bundling at purchase (the current 17" display is $699. bundle a new version at $499 and they can price the Cube at $999 for the entry-level model and still make a killing.)

5) last but not least, it's a CUBE!!! (the old cube was NOT a cube factor when you take into account the clear case. was I the only person bothered by this? lol. NeXT fan here! black magnesium not necessary, but please give us a real cube. make it bigger and with a fan if you have to. nice matching display next to it that can be used with a PowerMac G5 purchased down the road too? I'm begging you to take my money Apple!!!)

ok. just my thoughts. ;->

Spock
Nov 7, 2003, 10:48 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but the 20th year is on January 24, 2004. Steve will have somthing up the sleeve of his mock turtleneck.

bobindashadows
Nov 7, 2003, 10:55 AM
Anyone think of this: It's the new, radical iMac Form Factor?

Fukui
Nov 7, 2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by stockscalper
Why don't Jobs just change the name of the company to NeXT?
He did..just the other way. He changed NeXT into Apple. :D

hvfsl
Nov 7, 2003, 11:14 AM
A new cube would need to have:

-2Ghz G5 (release it when 3Ghz PMs are avaliable)
-512MB DDR400 RAM
-80GB Hard Disk min
-Radeon 9600XT or better
-DVD combi drive min (with superdrive option)
-The normal extras; firewire800, USB2, Airport Extreme
-1AGP slot and maybe 1 PCI-X slot (although the PCI slot can be ditched to keep size down).

It would need to cost between an iMac and a PM G5 to be successful.

gwuMACaddict
Nov 7, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by bronxred
it's METAL (one of the reasons I would never have bought the PowerMac G4 Cube was that it looked like a Kleenex dispenser to me...

hahahaha.

anyway... i LOVE the idea of a new cube! but no, it won't be water cooled- i'm so sick of hearing this idea. please people, take a basic basic basic heat transfer class and understand why it's a crappy idea. (the water would carry the heat around the computer and have no way of releasing it to the outside environment. this is why fans are good). the metal idea is very neat, just so long as it doesnt burn a hole through my desk.

macshark
Nov 7, 2003, 11:42 AM
The G5 Cube is what we really need - but it needs to be priced in the "moderate" range. Apple currently does not have a small form factor desktop system that can be used with user's choice of the LCD monitor (17", 18", 19", 20", etc.) and also supports dual monitor configs. For those people who are not planning to add PCI/PCI-X cards and/or a second internal HD, cube form factor would be the best solution.

Fanless operation may not be possible, but using the cooling system that is in LCD iMacs, or one of the large but slowly rotating fans that is used in the G5 PowerMacs may be sufficient to cool a 90nm G5 running at a reasonable speed and keep the system very quiet at the same time.

To keep the price under control and prevent cannibalizing PowerMac sales, the specs are likely to be somewhat more "tame":

- 1.2GHz or 1.4GHz 90nm G5 (power consumption around 10W)
- 256MB DDR SDRAM (up to 2GB)
- 80GB Serial ATA HD (160GB Serial ATA upgrade option)
- ComboDrive (SuperDrive upgrade option)
- NVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics with 64MB
- 2 FireWire 400 and 3 USB2.0 ports
- Bluetooth built in
- AirPort Extreme card option

Price:

- $1299 for the base model: 1.2GHz G5, 256MB DDR, 80GB SATA, ComboDrive

- $1699 for the upgraded model: 1.4GHz G5, 512MB DDR, 160GB SATA, SuperDrive

Dippo
Nov 7, 2003, 11:52 AM
A 'not too expensive' headless G5 mac would be very much welcome.

I think it is time to get rid of the iMac, it has lost all of the aspects that made it great in the first place. Those that just want a cheap mac will buy a eMac and those that want power will buy a G5.

There is nothing for the consumer that wants a powerful computer without all of the size & expandability of the PowerMac.

Now that I think about it, if they did come out with a G5 Cube it will probably still cost about $2000 which would be to much for me.

freddiecable
Nov 7, 2003, 12:04 PM
agree!!! this is certainly a shure shot! apple has to do this - and with a G4. it has to be fanless and it must not cost much. sub 700 USD.

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
That's exactly the type of cube that would sell. A high-end G5 cube would fail again and again and again...

Just take the display off the iMac and call it the Hemisphere.

$499 would be awesome, but I'd order one tomorrow at $599...

gwuMACaddict
Nov 7, 2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Dippo

I think it is time to get rid of the iMac, it has lost all of the aspects that made it great in the first place. Those that just want a cheap mac will buy a eMac and those that want power will buy a G5.

i dont know about this... the imac contains a great computer system in a small package and looks pretty hot all at the same time. this is quite different from the emac that contains a great computer system in a huge case and looks like s$%t, and the powermac that costs more than and arm and a leg and takes up a lot more room than an imac.

granted... i wish i had one of ecah. minus the emac.

:D

pgwalsh
Nov 7, 2003, 12:09 PM
To mark the 20th anniversary they should produce an aluminum Apple logo shaped Mac that’s about the size of the cube. It should have top of the line components too. That would be sick, but maybe I’m the only one that would think so. It would be cool to see a 3D render if anyone is so inclined.

I'd buy one just because I would have to have it...

aidsbot2000
Nov 7, 2003, 12:14 PM
the cube was indeed a looker(my lovely room mate has one.during our interview i told her i don't allow smokers or pc users.she laughed and said she wouldn't have moved in if i had a pc)
but,with all the aftermarket upgrades and that sick looking aluminum cube case,i think it's all sewn up for the cube on apple's behalf.the headless imac idea is great,but that ibook minus the screen idea is brilliant.a keyboard containing the cpu,hard drive,etc...beautifully hooked up to a studio display,and a wireless mouse.now that's lush.

shake
Nov 7, 2003, 12:15 PM
i think bringing back the cube is a great idea. Has anyone ever seen the Shuttle PC's? www.shuttle.com
these are great little PC's with everything built-in (usb2, fw400, 5.1 audio w/ optical out, ethernet, 4xAGP and 1 PCI etc). a minimalist mac is not a new idea... anyone remember CoreComputers? www.2khappyware.com
they had a great idea of making a small form factor power mac using gigabit motherboards and their own cool case... but apple shut them down.
if apple put in a G5 it would cost way too much. and an entry-level consumer mac doies not need to be 64-bit. and PCI-X just brings up the cost. does anyone even have a PCI-X card?

so, what i would like to see is:
dual G4 (using 7457's! less heat, more L2 cache!)
S-ATA controller (i'd even take ATA-100/133 if it brought the cost down)
Combo-Drive (superDrive as an option)
2gb of RAM
4X agp slot
1 PCI slot (not PCI-X! an entry-level mac does not need it and the price would go up)
usb & FW400 (of course)

and, an internal power supply. one of the worst thing about the original cube is its external power supply.
this is totally possible, (shuttle) and would sell tons of units!
if they made one, i would buy it!

supercres
Nov 7, 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Anyone think of this: It's the new, radical iMac Form Factor?

My thoughts exactly. With the G4-enabled eMac, the iMac really doesn't seem to have anywhere to go. The new iMac form-factor rumors and New Cube rumors probably aren't a coincedence.

Something's happening in Jan '04. Something big.

Shifty
Nov 7, 2003, 12:39 PM
The G5 PowerMac is friggin' huge.

A G5 Cube would be sweet as a scaled down version.

chickengrease16
Nov 7, 2003, 12:41 PM
i would buy one in a heartbeat. the only reason why i'm not buying a G4 cube is the fact that they're already pretty outdated, and doesnt compare to the speed of my 1GHz powerbook. but yeah. a G5 cube would be nice. a new imac would be nice too, but who knows.

bcsimac
Nov 7, 2003, 12:50 PM
I liked the original Cube and was very sad to see it discontinued. I feel it failed because it was over-priced. They need to learn from that mistake. I thought the Cube was gorgeous and would love to have one today if I could afford it.

m_gerbik
Nov 7, 2003, 01:12 PM
How much was the cube when it was introduced originally? I can't remember.

Frohickey
Nov 7, 2003, 01:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgwalsh
Nov 7, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Frohickey
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

The Reaper
Nov 7, 2003, 01:35 PM
to everyone wishing for a powerful G5 cube... NO!

apple needs a low end to compete with Dell's low end. apple needs more Mac users in general (a larger market share) more than they need the money brought in by expensive systems. this would be a move to sell as many macs as possible, not necessarily to make maximum profit. more mac users strengthen the mac platform by providing more incentive for developers to make good mac apps, improve's apple's overall reputation.

i think that they could do it for $599. make it the LOW end. as far as cost is concerned, imagine an eMac, but with no display and WAY less materials (plastic etc). no speakers (unless you add apple pro speakers to your order). so a nice chunk of the emac's cost is removed from the cube.

The cube is the ultimate lust object. everyone wants one. if they can pull it off, anyone can afford apple's best designed computer, and apple's reputation would vastly improve. remember, though, maximum performance would not be important in this machine. this machine is simply a cheap tower with limited expandability, but excellent looks. this would agressively compete with Dell, and many mac users with existing computers (such as a G5) may also buy an extra computer for $599. if they choose low performance components (like dell does for their low end), then Apple will be able to price a new Cube at about this price.

the great thing about this is that anyone with money who wants a new expensive computer (like a G5) may ALSO buy a Cube, because of affordability.

bcsimac
Nov 7, 2003, 01:48 PM
$1799
then $1599
then $1299

Originally posted by m_gerbik
How much was the cube when it was introduced originally? I can't remember.

jasonbw
Nov 7, 2003, 01:49 PM
Hmm....this might actually work this time. With a bluetooth Mouse + keyboard and airport you could finally have that apparently wireless desktop that the original cube was supposed to have.

Think low-power g5, sata drive (less cable more airflow), 2 ram slots and 8x agp, with maybe a single pci expansion slot. Aluminum case. I think fanless would be a mistake, any high powered video card will have one, and they can just use a couple of low-flow fans like the g5 tower. If they could do that for $1000.....

the one issue with this is that its really close to intruding on the 1.6 g5 tower. the tower offers only one more drive bay and more pci/ram expansion for $1000 more. So this would only work well if the g5 was redesigned with more expansion in mind, or the cube price went up / tower came down.

the future
Nov 7, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
To mark the 20th anniversary they should produce an aluminum Apple logo shaped Mac that’s about the size of the cube. ... I'd buy one just because I would have to have it...

Count me in, brother! Now THAT would be a stunning 20th anniversary Mac!

Back on topic, I don't understand why so many people seem to think that a G5 cube would be too expensive. I really don't think the G4 procs are much cheaper (if at all), and by having more/all product lines use the G5 Apple will surely get them cheaper from IBM. They should just put a single G5 into the original cube design (as it can't be bettered IMO), make it a little bigger overall so normal-sized graphics cards will fit and cooling is better and sell it as cheap as possible. Such a system would sell extremely well.

The Reaper
Nov 7, 2003, 02:12 PM
the problem with the G5 isn't the cost of the processor itself: the new controller chip and associated extras are where the cost comes in. if i remember correctly, the G5 chip itself is cheaper than the G4.

they do not need to fit standard sized graphics cards in, as Nvidia and ATI can make custom cards to fit the cube. the only reason they stopped making them is because the cube was cancelled. if it had sold well, the cube would have received periodically upgraded custom sized graphics cards. so if you want to upgrade your cube's graphics in 2 years, just buy the graphics card that's in the current cube.

jayscheuerle
Nov 7, 2003, 02:21 PM
No head. Plenty of guts.

illumin8
Nov 7, 2003, 02:28 PM

1.25 ghz G4
120 GB Ata100
512 mb ram
combo dvd/cd-r slot in
g-force mx 440
bluetooth built in
tv-out

Are you high? $499 for all of that? You're talking about a computer that's as powerful as the iMac 17" for less than 1/3rd the cost. Of course it would eat sales. It would eat sales of the eMac also. For the specs you just mentioned in a cube form factor Apple would sell it for at least $1499.

Snowy_River
Nov 7, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ogminlo
If you can't wait to see if they really do the Cube again, you can always max your current cube out with upgrades. It's not cheap, but neither is a new one. I'm thinking a 1.4 GHz G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM, a Radeon 9000 Pro, and a slick new aluminum enclosure (http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/enclosure/)...

Maybe the D-Link Bluetooth stub (you'd never see it under there) with the wireless keys and mouse, and a bigger ATA drive inside...

Maybe a slot SuperDrive from a powerbook too...

Now I want one!

Oh man, this is excellent. I've considered getting a Cube for some time, and getting the upgrades, but this new enclosure from PowerLogix makes it that much more tempting! Ah, if only I had the money...

Snowy_River
Nov 7, 2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Screw a cube. I would want an orb ...

If you want an orb, get an iMac and give it a lower half. ;)

Honestly, I don't think that an orb would sell very well. There has to be consideration given to the functionality of form. The iMac gets away with a circular form factor because it sits under the monitor. But, for computers that are separate from the monitor, there's a reason just about everything that's ever been put out has had a square or rectangular form factor: function.

Oh, and for the record, for most people, expandability is a rarely needed luxury, not a necessity. I dare say that the Power Mac is the line that has always been aimed at the part of the market that needs expandability, while the iMac, the eMac, and the (once and future?) Cube were not.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 7, 2003, 03:14 PM
true and this has been a mistake.

jayscheuerle
Nov 7, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by illumin8
Are you high? $499 for all of that? You're talking about a computer that's as powerful as the iMac 17" for less than 1/3rd the cost. Of course it would eat sales. It would eat sales of the eMac also. For the specs you just mentioned in a cube form factor Apple would sell it for at least $1499.

If Apple can't come out with a sub $700 headless computer (for bottom line), they really shouldn't bother.

The eMacs are for people who want or need the all-in-one form (schools for durability).

Give it the same specs as an eMac and lop off $100-$200. There are so many people that want to own a Mac, but can't. This doesn't need to be a compromising machine. It just needs to have a low end.

Snowy_River
Nov 7, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
hahahaha.

anyway... i LOVE the idea of a new cube! but no, it won't be water cooled- i'm so sick of hearing this idea. please people, take a basic basic basic heat transfer class and understand why it's a crappy idea. (the water would carry the heat around the computer and have no way of releasing it to the outside environment. this is why fans are good). the metal idea is very neat, just so long as it doesnt burn a hole through my desk.

Uh... perhaps you should review the concepts behind (what should be referred to as) liquid cooling. Yes, it's designed to move heat around. Is the act of moving it supposed to dissipate it? No. Liquid cooling move the heat from the source to a better heat-sink. Imagine if you had an aluminum cased Cube where the entire body acted as an external heat-sink because the heat was carried from the processor to the outer body using a liquid cooling system. This would provide a much more efficient cooling surface than any internal heat-sink directly on the processor, which is why it is what's been used for most custom super-computers for several decades.

Snowy_River
Nov 7, 2003, 03:42 PM

Perhaps some of his specs were a bit high, but I don't think that you'd need to price it quite as high as you're suggesting. Here's a possible spec list:

1GHz PowerPC G4 Processor

System bus
133MHz

Memory
128MB of SDRAM; supports up to 1GB

Hard disk drive
40GB Ultra ATA

Optical drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Display
None

Graphics support
ATI Radeon 7500 with AGP 4x support; 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM graphics memory

Ports
Two FireWire 400 ports, three USB ports, ADC output port, headphone jack, audio line in jack

Networking
Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and 56K V.92 modem

Wireless
AirPort Extreme ready

Speakers
Basic internal speaker

System software
Mac OS X

BTO Options:
Extra RAM (up to 1GB)
Larger hard drive, up to 120GB
SuperDrive (DVD-R, CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme card
Apple Pro Speakers

Perhaps there would be a high-end model that would come with a 1.24 GHz G4. But, as a low end model, I challenge you to tell me that this computer could not be sold for somewhere in the range of $500-$700...

AnotherMortal
Nov 7, 2003, 06:42 PM
From what I'm reading, there's really two computers we're talking about here. A less expensive bare bones consumer line, and a true Powermac Cube.

Apple didn't sell the original cube at budget prices, and probably won't sell this one at budget prices either. That of course doesn't mean they'll be stupid twice and introduce a computer that directly competes with other computers they are selling.

The "PowerMac G5 Cube" would be released similar to the TAM; for those with money to spend on a collector's item computer.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 7, 2003, 06:52 PM
Bingo!

Sun Baked
Nov 7, 2003, 07:10 PM
Should be interesting if Apple keeps the two things that made the darn cube great -- video card & CPU daughtercard -- or they make use of the PowerBook motherboard and bring out a non-upgradable machine in a fancy plastic box.

Or any ultra small headless machine with a AGP slot, and CPU card would be nice.

But the size, cooling, and power requirements of the new ATI 9800 sort of blow the budget if you want the capability to use it. Same with the 1.42GHz G4s (though the 7457s should offset some of that).

jayscheuerle
Nov 7, 2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by AnotherMortal
From what I'm reading, there's really two computers we're talking about here. A less expensive bare bones consumer line, and a true Powermac Cube.

Apple didn't sell the original cube at budget prices, and probably won't sell this one at budget prices either. That of course doesn't mean they'll be stupid twice and introduce a computer that directly competes with other computers they are selling.

The "PowerMac G5 Cube" would be released similar to the TAM; for those with money to spend on a collector's item computer.

Actually, they didn't sell the original Cube at Power prices either. That was the problem.

Nice idea... for an industrial arts museum. The cube was a niche marketing failure that won't happen again in its original concept regardless of form.

If it's not inexpensive, Apple wouldn't dare make the same mistake twice, no matter how beautiful the machine was.

themadchemist
Nov 7, 2003, 09:18 PM

1.25 ghz G4
120 GB Ata100
512 mb ram
combo dvd/cd-r slot in
g-force mx 440
bluetooth built in
tv-out

That's too low. I don't remember a time Apple sold any computer that cheap...Think about it, that's getting into the iPod price range almost.

Plus, you'll be paying for the form factor design for a product like the cube. That's going to be a big chunk of change.

MacWhispers
Nov 7, 2003, 10:58 PM
My understanding is that the new Cube will retain the same acrylic exterior shell as the original, with an anodized aluminum inner case. The target is presently a single 2.0GHz G5, current era I/O port complement, air-cooled, at a $1400 to $1600 range price point. This is secondhand info, but is from multiple manufacturing sources. January-ish for an introduction time. The project's been in development for almost two-years, and is no secret in Taiwanese OEM circles.

While I'm briefly coming out of retirement, I might as well add that the 30-inch Chi-Mei-built Cinema Display is about to start production, and will appear in January, as well, at a price point of $3000 to $3500... and at a "much higher resolution" than the 23-inch ACD.

Peace. MW

AnotherMortal
Nov 7, 2003, 11:07 PM
Makes me *almost* want to hold off buying a processor upgrade for my cube until *after* mid-January.

It would rock though, if Apple released another quiet running machine. Although, if you ever sit next to an iMac, they're pretty quiet too.

the future
Nov 8, 2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by The Reaper
... they do not need to fit standard sized graphics cards in, as Nvidia and ATI can make custom cards to fit the cube. the only reason they stopped making them is because the cube was cancelled. if it had sold well, the cube would have received periodically upgraded custom sized graphics cards. ...

Yeah, but I bet those custom cards were/would be more expensive than normal-sized ones. Plus, as I said, if a new cube was a little bigger, it would help loads with cooling and would maybe make it possible for a G5 cube to remain fanless and thus silent, which was one of the biggest advantages of the original cube.

aasmund
Nov 8, 2003, 07:02 AM
it was very expensive. around $1499 i believe. that's the reason it did not sell.-

it was 500 more than the imac, and only 200 less than the powermac.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 8, 2003, 07:55 AM
the people expecting a under $800 imac or headless mac thats cheap are going to be very disappointed. First of all Apple is a high end computer company, they are not interested in the cheap computer with no margins- see dell,gateway or whoever for one of those. 2nd the cube was a fortune at the time it was introduced, i would expect it to be aimed at the prosumer and fall real close to current imac pricing so dont expect a new cheap Mac because i dont but i do expect a Mac that meets the consumer expectation for power,expandability,utility and style and it wont sell for no $500 more like $1500 if you know Apple like many of us.

yamabushi
Nov 8, 2003, 08:03 AM
Why not have both a supercheap "eMac in a cube" and a midrange G5 cube? Use an acryllic case for the G4 and an aluminum case for the G5. This way both would come in on the bottom end for pricing in their respective class (consumer/pro).

The orignal cube was probably just ahead of its time. I do remember some heat complaints, though. Both new cubes should have improved cooling systems.

sedarby
Nov 8, 2003, 08:05 AM
Why in the world would it be more than an eMac?

Apple needs a $600 minimalist machine. It could even be an iBook without the keyboard or screen. Heck, keep the keyboard & there's your whole computer!

When are people going to understand that APPLE DOES NOT DO CHEAP!!! Never have, never will. If you want an Apple you pay. Simple as that.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 8, 2003, 08:13 AM
why would apple make a super cheap anything? have they ever before? if i was apple i would come up with a fixed lcd emac & continue the G4, the imac on the otherhand has to be redone or they have to sell a headless version next to it. Apple rarely does what we expect,remember the Emac? caught everyone offguard. Steve did mention another life maybe for his cube so we will just have to wait but remember last year they did nothing for the holidays, i think this year Apple is going to be everywhere,pepsi,mcdonalds, new G5s for the consumer,itunes etc.I think this coming year will be very special.

plinkoman
Nov 8, 2003, 12:06 PM
why do people keep talking about a cheap headless low end mac??

this thing is going to be a special 20th aniversery thing, it's going to be expensive, and its going to have some balls.

yamabushi
Nov 8, 2003, 12:22 PM
AppleIIe.

gwuMACaddict
Nov 8, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by plinkoman

this thing is going to be a special 20th aniversery thing, it's going to be expensive, and its going to have some balls.

couldn't have said it better myself!

:D :D

gwuMACaddict
Nov 8, 2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi
AppleIIe.

whoaaaaa! hold up there buddy. i take offense to this. i LOVE my apple IIe. anyone remember the kinsyn software for linkages? genius. sheer genius.

had to get that out...

;)

coolsoldier
Nov 8, 2003, 10:16 PM
I see a problem with the claim that apple is just a high end company and shouldn't introduce a low-end machine. Apple is not just a computer company like dell or gateway. They have control of and responsibility for promoting an entire platform, and, like it or not, the entry level is where you find new users.

Apple needs at least one product to fill the low-end slot if they want to gain acceptance for the mac platform. period.

SeaFox
Nov 9, 2003, 12:11 AM

Because it's what they need. And we have fond memories of our Performa 475's.

This thing is going to be a special 20th aniversery thing, it's going to be expensive, and its going to have some balls.

Expensive? Yeah.
Balls???
You mean like the actual Twentieth Anniversary Mac (http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=anniversary) had when it was released? "Average" performing 250Mhz 603ev at a time the 9600 was pushing 350 with a 604 and the G3 was only a few months away?

manitoubalck
Nov 9, 2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by SeaFox
Because it's what they need. And we have fond memories of our Performa 475's.

I believe that it was an LC 475, I still have mine sitting in the shead out back, with great games like boulder dash and Prince of Persia in B&W.

SeaFox
Nov 9, 2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by manitoubalck
I believe that it was an LC 475, I still have mine sitting in the shead out back, with great games like boulder dash and Prince of Persia in B&W.

Yeah, if you're in education. There were a slew of those Pizza Box Macs. I still want to get ahold of a Quadra 605 and make it into a broadband surfboard.

Getting back on topic:

Ah! The decisions! I was all decided my next Mac would be a laptop (a 12" Powerbook to be exact), except I was annoyed at the lack of a level 3 cache on the model then (before the last update).

Then the G5 comes out and I'm thinking well, maybe I should hold off on the laptop and get a G5. Better performance for the money.

Then the revised Powerbooks come out, and now I'm wanting the 12"er again.

But now, there're CUBE rumors poping up. With a G5 so better than an iMac (and I don't get stuck with that stupid non-upgradable LCD), but not as expensive as a G5 tower (and not so freak'n huge). :( :D

okatu
Nov 9, 2003, 04:37 AM

There allready is a Dual 1000MHz watercooled G4 Cube build by meself ;) Goto PowerCube (http://www.cubeowner.com/gallery/dual_gig_okatu) ... ENJOY ;)

CmdrLaForge
Nov 9, 2003, 04:37 AM

1.25 ghz G4
120 GB Ata100
512 mb ram
combo dvd/cd-r slot in
g-force mx 440
bluetooth built in
tv-out

I agree absolutly. For that price the cube would be really a seller. And it should be possible. Maybe not that drive and RAM but something near. I definitly would get one for that price. And I think it would be much better having a such a cube than a high priced G5.

Cheers

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 9, 2003, 06:35 AM
anyone who thinks apple will release a brandnew machine with old g4 technology has either smoked to much or not enough, apple has invested millions in the g5 and for people to think newer machines using moto's old g4 are coming and are going to be dirt cheap are wrong, in fact it is more like apple to introduce a new cube and then have it cost as much as a powermac or more! Thats the apple we have seen through the years so if you are looking for a cheap mac i would forget this rumor and go look at the Emac.

Shifty
Nov 9, 2003, 07:58 AM
I rather have those slim mac boxes, I think thery were the Performas or LCs, I'm not sure.

They would make a great Scaled Down PowerMac.

jayscheuerle
Nov 9, 2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
why would apple make a super cheap anything? have they ever before? if i was apple i would come up with a fixed lcd emac & continue the G4, the imac on the otherhand has to be redone or they have to sell a headless version next to it. Apple rarely does what we expect,remember the Emac? caught everyone offguard. Steve did mention another life maybe for his cube so we will just have to wait but remember last year they did nothing for the holidays, i think this year Apple is going to be everywhere,pepsi,mcdonalds, new G5s for the consumer,itunes etc.I think this coming year will be very special.

Nobody said cheap. They said inexpensive. It's the only hole in Apple's product line. The eMac needs to stay inexpensive and durable for the abuse that the education market gives to these machines. The eMac was not unexpected, it was a necessity caused by the uproar in the education sector when the iMac was replaced by a relatively flimsy work of art. The new iMac is Steve's cube. That's where all the technology went. A high-end CubeII will not happen because outside of a few rabid fans, they wouldn't sell at all. Apple has said there is plenty of life in the G4 and it will be running the low-end machines for years to come.

Repeat: A high-end cube has failed before and has no place in Apple's future regardless of how much you smoke! :rolleyes:

The G5 has heat problems. It will not fit in a cube. It will not fit in a laptop. Not this year. Probably not the first half of next year. 9 fans take up space.

You people who actually believe a high end cube has a snowballs chance in hell of happening have either a short memory span or poor business sense. Even the stubborn heads of Apple couldn't take the mockery of releasing an overpriced art-box again. An inexpensive, but well-designed headless is Apple's only chance at increasing market share. Period.

Mord
Nov 9, 2003, 08:00 AM
may i add that if apple introduced a 1.4 ghz g5 cube it would produce less heat than a 1.4ghz powerlogix g4 cube upgade that is comercialy avail able the g5 produces less heat per mhz so a bit of tinkering and a fanless g5 cube could be achieved.

cube 450 (soon to be dual 1gig wartercooled) gfcrce2 32mb (soon a radon 9000) 704 mb ram 100 gig Hd 7200 rpm 15" studio display

Mord
Nov 9, 2003, 09:16 AM
the xbox 2 will run a g5 and if it is the same size as the old one the g5 will be able to fit in a cube
xbox is 6,000 cubic centimeters

cube is 5,800 cubic centimeters

aasmund
Nov 9, 2003, 10:14 AM

ok. Let's look at it.

HD drive, cost < $100
Ram, cost < $100
CPU, cost < $100
Motherboard, gf440, bt, cost< $100
Case, cost < $100
optical drive ~ $100

Sum +/- $500

Should be possible I believe. and that's not taking advantage of economies of scale.

plinkoman
Nov 9, 2003, 01:23 PM
The G5 has heat problems. It will not fit in a cube. It will not fit in a laptop. Not this year. Probably not the first half of next year. 9 fans take up space.

:rolleyes: i grow tired of having to say this every 5 minutes, those 9 fans are distributed between 4 different cooling zones, there are only 2 of them per cpu, 1 on each side, and they move a little slower, so the heatsink needed to be larger. thats all, it doesn't mean that the G5 is hot as hell which everyone seems to be preaching with no proof, its just designed to be quiet.

and yes, this is going to be a high end cube, even though the last one failed, look at the rumor again, its not for a whole new machine, its just for a 20th anniversary special edition mac.

okatu
Nov 9, 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Hector
cube 450 (soon to be dual 1gig wartercooled)...

Really? Curious how u wanna do it...I just can say it's much fun ;) Let me know if u need one of my CNC copper plates for the watercooling devices...

Shifty
Nov 9, 2003, 01:41 PM
Well, since the PowerMac G4s are still on sale, untill they run out, any return of the Cube may just be a PowerMac G4 in a Cube. Not even a G5 processor.

CPU: 1.33GHz G4 Processor
Price: $1099

At least what I think anyway.

dongmin
Nov 9, 2003, 02:41 PM
the problem with introducing a budget cube is that it'll eat into the sales of the eMacs and iMacs. Say you take the $799 eMac (1.0 ghz G4), lop off the CRT, and sell for $599. Who's gonna buy the eMac, then? No one, b/c you can add a cheap 3rd-party 17" monitor for $50, or use the one you already have. So Apple is out $200 per computer. Same if you take the $1799 iMac (1.25 ghz G4) and charge $1299--Apple loses $500. The only case where Apple wins is if people add an Apple display.

Of course you can argue that Apple will sell so many more of these cheaper boxes that it'll offset the lower margins. But that's a major risk for Apple. Investors don't respond well when Apple's margins fall. I suspect that the all-in-one design has more to do with profit margins than with simplicity (really, how hard is it to connect one cable?).

aasmund
Nov 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
Of course you can argue that Apple will sell so many more of these cheaper boxes that it'll offset the lower margins. But that's a major risk for Apple. Investors don't respond well when Apple's margins fall. I suspect that the all-in-one design has more to do with profit margins than with simplicity (really, how hard is it to connect one cable?).

This is off course, all true. However you fail to remember a couple of things: Apple run their own OS. Only apple computers can only run Mac OS (commercial OS' that is), and mac os only runs on apple computers. Apple is dependant on a significant market share in order to maintain 3rd party vendor support and drive sales of value adding product's such as software and accessories (screens, ipods etc.). Currently apple has nothing in the cost efficient headless market. This is a huge part of the market. in the consumer sector it's around 50-60% of pc market. This is a market that apple cannot afford to stay out of. iMac and Emac are not products in these segments. if apple wants to gain market share it simply has to release a product in this segment.

AnotherMortal
Nov 9, 2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by okatu
There allready is a Dual 1000MHz watercooled G4 Cube build by meself ;) Goto PowerCube (http://www.cubeowner.com/gallery/dual_gig_okatu) ... ENJOY ;)

And a beautifully designed watercooled cube it is. I am *terribly* envious!

i grow tired of having to say this every 5 minutes, those 9 fans are distributed between 4 different cooling zones, there are only 2 of them per cpu, 1 on each side, and they move a little slower, so the heatsink needed to be larger. thats all, it doesn't mean that the G5 is hot as hell which everyone seems to be preaching with no proof, its just designed to be quiet.

may i add that if apple introduced a 1.4 ghz g5 cube it would produce less heat than a 1.4ghz powerlogix g4 cube upgade that is comercialy avail able the g5 produces less heat per mhz so a bit of tinkering and a fanless g5 cube could be achieved.

Thank you both for pointing this out. The G5 as has been discussed in many threads before is a PowerPC970 processor from IBM. These "heat" issues are non-existent. If anyone disagrees, please reread these articles at Ars-Technica:

Inside the PowerPC 970
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html

Of particular note is this quote from the author:
Author: Jon "Hannibal" Stokes of Ars-Technica (http://www.arstechnica.com)

As you can see from the table, the 970 at 1.8 GHz is much closer to the G4e than to the P4 2.8 GHz in terms of power dissipation. This means that Apple will be able to use this chip in the kinds of innovative enclosure designs that make their hardware continually appealing, regardless of how it performs. Furthermore, a 1U, 970-based version of the XServe is not out of the question. And if you consider the fact that the 970's power consumption at 1.2GHz is a mere 19W, it's almost certain that we'll see a future notebook from Apple based on the new chip.

If you aren't brain-fried after reading part I, take a look at part II which delves deeper into the FPU, BPU, FSB info and such.

Inside the PowerPC 970 Part II
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/ppc970/ppc970-0.html

murak
Nov 9, 2003, 07:16 PM
First, greate work okatu!

Then, sure a headless low priced mac would be greate, but as you guys say it would eat eMac/iMac sales. I hope the "new cube" will be like the first one, almost as fast as a Powermac but with crippled expandability. My gues/hope ('couse I think it so fun)

1.6/1.8/2 ghz single G5 cpu (it will fit, ok?)
up to 2 gb DDR ram
80/120 gb sata drives
One agp slot
combo/superdrive slot loading
BT and APE optional but ready

1299/1499/1699 usd

Or maby Ill wait for the iBox/iBump... 'Couse a headles mac I want.
www.2khappyware.com

NNO-Stephen
Nov 9, 2003, 10:01 PM
no way in HELL that they are gonna make a 500 dollar Mac. if you think so because the need is there, you are retarded. Apple has NEVER done this and continues to keep their current chunk of marketshare... you think they dont know that budget PC's sell? they dont give a ****! if they did, don't you think they'd have done something about it by now?

you're right... they probably will make a 20th aniversary Macintosh and it ain't gonna be cheap.

plinkoman
Nov 9, 2003, 10:31 PM
for those of you who wont shut up about a low end system, i will repost what was in the first post of this thread, which specifically says a 20th anniversary edition mac. and call me crazy, but i don't think a rumor about a 20th anniversary mac has anything to do with a new system, at low end that they plan to add to their product line.

At least one uncertain rumor from May also claimed the return of the Cube... in the form of a limited edition model celebrating the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Macintosh which was introduced in 1984.

jayscheuerle
Nov 9, 2003, 11:07 PM
[B]:rolleyes: i grow tired of having to say this every 5 minutes, those 9 fans are distributed between 4 different cooling zones, there are only 2 of them per cpu, 1 on each side, and they move a little slower, so the heatsink needed to be larger. thats all, it doesn't mean that the G5 is hot as hell which everyone seems to be preaching with no proof, its just designed to be quiet.
/B]

That's right. I forgot a cube wouldn't need a hard drive, graphics card or RAM. 1 fan would be fine. Hell, no fans would suffice. What was I thinking?

plinkoman
Nov 10, 2003, 12:11 AM
That's right. I forgot a cube wouldn't need a hard drive, graphics card or RAM. 1 fan would be fine. Hell, no fans would suffice. What was I thinking?

did the last cube have those things? did the last cube have any fans? what was the point of you saying any of that? :rolleyes:

Kanada
Nov 10, 2003, 01:39 AM
I am writing this on a 450 mhz G4 cube. This is by far my favorite computer ever it takes up very little room and runs practicly silent. I have no doubt this will one day be a collectors item. I will never, ever sell this one but I do need to get another much faster machine soon. I am just waiting to see what happens when the g5 is added to other models. Although the dual configuration may be to much to resist I still want to wait and see. Here is my dream

1.8 ghz G5 cube
digital audio in/out, Superdrive
fw 400/800, usb 2.0, bluethooth,
ATI 9600
$1599

2.2 ghz G5 cube
fw 400/800, usb 2.0, bluethooth
ATI 9600, ATI 9800 Pro BTO
$1999

1.8 ghz G5 imac
19" flat screen
digital audio on/out, Superdrive
ATI 9600, ATI 9800 pro BTO
$2299

2.4 ghz G5 cube
$2399

2.2 ghz G5 imac
19" flat screen
digital audio on/out, Superdrive
ATI 9600, ATI 9800 pro BTO
$2299

dual 2.2 ghz g5 pm
$2599

dual 2.4 ghz g5 pm
$2999

dual 2.6 ghz g5 pm
ATI 9800 Pro
$3499

This will offer comsumers like me a vialble alternative to the faster P4's being offered by the PC vendors and Pro user's can always use more speed. The faster g5 Cube would be an excellent gaming machine. I wouldn't mind a bit if they had to put a few fans inside, I hope they can do it quietly. As for expandebility, there are many optins available whith fw 400/800 and usd 2.0

NNO-Stephen
Nov 10, 2003, 07:35 AM
I always wanted a G4 Cube but never could afford it... then they were gone... I could get the cash for a G5 cube any time next year and would be elated if they announced one for the 20th aniversary of the Macintosh.

jayscheuerle
Nov 10, 2003, 08:09 AM
did the last cube have those things? did the last cube have any fans? what was the point of you saying any of that? :rolleyes:

The point is that the G5 is a lot hotter than the G4.

Those 9 fans may be quieter, but they do provide a lot more cooling.

Bottom line. $1400 G5 cube isn't going to happen. :cool:

Mord
Nov 10, 2003, 10:37 AM
mhz for mhz it is not hotter are you blind
read my previous post on page 4 read and learn from a 15 year old boy's post read and learn.

jayscheuerle
Nov 10, 2003, 11:07 AM
mhz for mhz it is not hotter are you blind
read my previous post on page 4 read and learn from a 15 year old boy's post read and learn.

Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a 1.4 Ghz G5. :rolleyes:

Something about Steve saying that the G5 was way too hot to put in a laptop right now made me think that they are hotter than G4s. Are there any G4 laptops out there yet?

Bottom line regardless of heat- No G5 Cube, no matter how much you want one. It would be an awful business decision.

bcsimac
Nov 10, 2003, 11:28 AM
I still wish I could afford to buy even a refurbish G4 Cube, but alas I am too poor. I loved them when they were out and would love them if they came out again.

kiwi_the_iwik
Nov 10, 2003, 12:44 PM
My little Cube is still the envy of all my friends - both PC AND Mac users alike - and even those Mac users who have just acquired a new G5 or G4 PowerBook.

I don't CARE if I have to wait an extra 3 milliseconds before my computer reacts, compared to the new-fangled devices. It does the job; it does it well - AND it does it silently.

I can run all the latest video editing software I need, print out my invoices, write my inane replies on Mac Rumors, and video conference my friends at 30fps in full screen. It even plays games without a hitch...

I was lucky - I had my eye on the Cube for some time when it came out, but like many of you, I couldn't justify the hefty pricetag. Then, one day, I saw the price drop to something more manageable - and it turned out to be the best purchase I ever made. I'd buy another without question - 3 years down the track, and it's STILL working flawlessly.

Admittedly, I've made a few "adjustments" - like increasing the hard drive to a more respectable 120Gb, and adding a Radeon 7500 in place of the aging Rage 128. Both operations were quick and painless - and lengthened the longevity of my wee beastie.

That's not to say, however, that I wouldn't be in the market to buy a new Cube if one were to emerge from the dry ice and mist onstage at the next MacExpo. I'd be right in there. And my current trusty companion? Well - that'd become the central hub of my Entertainment System in the living room - complete with BlueTooth, Airport and Infra-red.

No home should really be without one!

:cool:

mrsebastian
Nov 10, 2003, 02:04 PM
we all love the cube, but it ain't gonna happen... well sorta. the only possible way we may some semblence of a cube, is through the new imac design. that said, there is absolutely no room in the line up for the cube.

idkew
Nov 10, 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Xerocs
I would buy one

with these specs:

2ghz g5
sATA hd ~120gb
ATI 9800 pro
one PCI slot
alu case
Audio Out/In,
DVD±RW (slotin)
up to 4gb RAM
2x512MB dual channel
for only 1,5k€

perfect game station...

any1 knows something about MAX PAYNE 2 and Battlefiled 1942 macintosh port?

so you are willing to pay 1,500.00 for GAMES? wow- can i be reborn as your kid? I would much rather spend $200 on a console and buy 100 games.

plinkoman
Nov 10, 2003, 08:53 PM
The point is that the G5 is a lot hotter than the G4.

Those 9 fans may be quieter, but they do provide a lot more cooling.

Bottom line. $1400 G5 cube isn't going to happen. :cool:

again, most of those fans are in completely separate cooling zones, not effecting the cpu, only cooling things which could go with out cooling(seeing as they do in most computers). 2 fans per cpu, thats it, the other ones have no effect on the cpu. the G5 is not hotter then the G4, when jobs said there wouldn't be a G5 powerbook anytime soon, he said just that, never mentioned heat. if you are so sure the G5 is so hot, show me proof, like, real proof, not something jobs never said, or making the obligitory reference to the amount of fans in the case.

Mord
Nov 11, 2003, 01:19 AM
right on!