PDA

View Full Version : Ram questions

virividox
Nov 7, 2003, 05:52 AM
Hi just need a little help.

I am thinking of upgrading my ram. i currently have 512, single slot free in my generation 1 17 inch pb. the pdf on teh apple site says max is 1 gb, but the sites like www.crucial.com say it has a 2 gb max capacity. does anyone know if the first generation 17pb can take 2 gb, and if so, can u install 1 gb dim to make 1.5; meaning 512 and 1gb together or do i have to instal identical sizes of ram?

thanks for the help

idea_hamster
Nov 7, 2003, 10:33 AM
No need to install RAM in pairs -- after all, you have 0+512K, right? If you want to add a 1GB DIMM, that should be fine.

I don't think that Apple updates those PDF's much, especially in response to after-market developments. I think that the 1GB DIMMs for the Rev. A PowerBook were never available through Apple, so they probably didn't include it in the sheet.

If you take a look at the Trans Int'l site for the 17" (http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=942) they state that their 1GB DIMMs are for the January 2003 17" -- which is what I think you have. So I think that you should be fine adding a 1GB stick to your PB.

I have no experience with Crucial, but have only heard good about them. I can personally say that Trans Int'l has very good customer service, although I've never bought RAM from them.

Best of luck!