Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
I got an airport card in the mail today, plugged it in, works fine. Since this iBook is a new project for me (screen backlight is out) i havent done too many updates to it yet. So i figured what the heck, i'd use airport to DL some updates. Worked like a charm. When i ok'd the restart the Book shut down, restarted and went to the grey apple start up screen and it hung there for almost 30 min. Hmm, something seemed wrong. I've done many updates over the years and never has a restart taken that long unless it was not booting correctly. I hold down the power button..and that was all she wrote. Now its a paper weight, nothing happens when i hit the power button. I did the PMU reset a few times, nothing. Removed the battery, nothing, removed the airport, upper ram card, nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I JUST put a dvd-rom, extra ram, airport, and larger HDD in :mad:.
Thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Does it power on or start up at all? Or does the screen just not come on? Can you hear the hard drive spinning too? It could be the graphics chip that malfunctioned. Just apply pressure to it prior and during when you start it up.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
Absolutely nothing, completely dead. I have made an educated guess. The DC board is shot. Reason being, 1. power button does nothing 2. after an hour of being plugged into the power plug (which is actually the one i use for my PowerBook so i know it works fine) when i press the status button on the bottom of the battery only one light lights up and it is flashing i.e. its dead, not getting any current from the power plug.

So..i guess i'm off to search the iBook boneyards.
I could be wrong though, as i've never has this happen to me before. So, i'm still open for suggestions.
thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Absolutely nothing, completely dead. I have made an educated guess. The DC board is shot. Reason being, 1. power button does nothing 2. after an hour of being plugged into the power plug (which is actually the one i use for my PowerBook so i know it works fine) when i press the status button on the bottom of the battery only one light lights up and it is flashing i.e. its dead, not getting any current from the power plug.

So..i guess i'm off to search the iBook boneyards.
I could be wrong though, as i've never has this happen to me before. So, i'm still open for suggestions.
thanks

I got a DC in board if you want it. Just pay the shipping costs.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
Wow really?? That would be awesome! My zip is 53186, let me know how much and i'll paypal right away!
Thanks alot!

bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.