Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
hello im looking to buy a new or refurbished macbook and i was just wanting to know if i should just buy the 2.2 ghz refurbed and save some dough or buy the 2.4 brand new i also read another tread about the fall update should i wait for that or should i just buy now and what one should i buy i want to get one with the apple remote or should i just go for the 2.4 and does anyone know about the proformce difference between the two thank you all for your time (sorry for no commas and stuff like that)

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
The difference you'll see b/w a 2.2 and 2.4 will be middling at best; slightly better battery life is touted along with slightly cooler running, but this can be pretty subjective, esp. when you're comparing a brand new machine vs. the broken-in battery on a used system.

There is some preliminary testing at anandtech.com, but I'd let your budget be the deciderer. I was recently in the same boat. I decided on 2.4 Blackbook b/c it bugs me not to have the latest and greatest. But you may be motivated by the deal! To each his own.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
hello im looking to buy a new or refurbished macbook and i was just wanting to know if i should just buy the 2.2 ghz refurbed and save some dough or buy the 2.4 brand new i also read another tread about the fall update should i wait for that or should i just buy now and what one should i buy i want to get one with the apple remote or should i just go for the 2.4 and does anyone know about the proformce difference between the two thank you all for your time (sorry for no commas and stuff like that)

I fixed your post for you:
_______

Hello, I'm looking to buy a new or refurbished MacBook. I just wanted to know if I should buy the 2.2 ghz refurbished and save some dough or buy the 2.4 brand new.

I also read another thread about a Fall update, now do you guys think I should wait for that? Or should I buy now? If I were to buy now, which model should I buy?

I want to get one with the Apple Remote, but maybe I should just go for the 2.4. And does anyone know about the performance difference between the two?

Thank you all for your time (and thank you Zwhaler!)
_______

Sweet Jesus. Perfectly honestly, you went back and forth in your post more times than I can count. To start, you might want to list what you would be using your computer for, as that will help influence what computer you should ultimately get. Also, since there is no 2.2Ghz this generation, I am assuming you are either getting a refurb 2.2 last gen, or a 2.4 new (this gen), as opposed to a 2.1 refurb (this gen), or a 2.4 new. :eek:

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
first off thank you pacer69 and zwhaler for your comments.
sorry for going back and forth so much in my post im new to the forum thing i read them all the time but i hardly ever post. any ways here is the list.

job: i work in a morgue. i file paper work online, play on the net like right now lol, for personal use i will be playing around with garageband, photo and video editing and web page building because the university i work for has a t3 connection sweet. some lite gaming like guild wars stuff like that.

my thing is i cant bring my self to get last gen but for the price you cant pass up you know but at the same time is 200 MHz and 20nm really wirth $350 more the the refurbished on i dont know

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
first off thank you pacer69 and zwhaler for your comments.
sorry for going back and forth so much in my post im new to the forum thing i read them all the time but i hardly ever post. any ways here is the list.

job: i work in a morgue. i file paper work online, play on the net like right now lol, for personal use i will be playing around with garageband, photo and video editing and web page building because the university i work for has a t3 connection sweet. some lite gaming like guild wars stuff like that.

my thing is i cant bring my self to get last gen but for the price you cant pass up you know but at the same time is 200 MHz and 20nm really wirth $350 more the the refurbished on i dont know

Extremely astonished that you survive university with this orthography and grammar.

Anyways; supposing you only will do some light video editing, 2.2 should be plenty. Invest the difference in more RAM or a faster/ bigger hard disk.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
MacBooks only come in 2.1GHz and 2.4GHz configurations.

the difference between 2.1 and 2.4 is very small but you will notice the difference when you use the full CPU load when video editing and stuff like that.

if you go for the 2.1 keep in my mind it comes with a Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) i.e. CDs read/write DVDs read only.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
sorry for my spelling and grammer and i work for a university i did not have to go to school for this and the macbook does come in 2.0 and 2.2 ghz it is last gen these gen right now has 2.1 and 2.4

i already do plan on buying 4 gb of ram for what ever one i get

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Krypticos (cool name, btw): Maybe you can have the best of both worlds...get a refurb 2.4 when they come around at Apple Store refurb section. It won't be long as they've been out now for a month or so. You'll need to check early in the morning, though. There is a widget specifically made for this, google for widget apple store refurb and it should appear.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
thanks agian pacer yea on youtube im krypticmac but have not done any videos yet lol no macbook but that thought has crossed my mind i may do that i also thought just save up money some more and wait and see if they update anything by like june or so because my ibook is serving me fine right now for web but other than that, thats about all it is good for because it is running panther(10.3.9) i think

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
thanks agian pacer yea on youtube im krypticmac but have not done any videos yet lol no macbook but that thought has crossed my mind i may do that i also thought just save up money some more and wait and see if they update anything by like june or so because my ibook is serving me fine right now for web but other than that, thats about all it is good for because it is running panther(10.3.9) i think

Have you ever heard of Grammar or Spell check?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
OK guys- quit picking on the OP. He seems like a nice enough guy. Not all of us are great at writing.

Seriously. Post something helpful or don't post.

OP, I bought a 2.2 refurb blackbook for $1050. I saved $450. Here's what I lost out on:
- 200 mhz
- 90GB of HD space
- 1GB RAM

I have menu meters installed, and the only time I need all of my processing power is with handbrake. So other than saving a few minutes on DVD conversions, the 2.4 vs. 2.2 is utterly meaningless to me.

I currently have over 70GB free on OS X, and a few more free GB devoted to XP. So I really don't need the 250GB HD.

My refurb came with 2GB of RAM anyway, so I didn't lose out on anything there. :)

And my macbook came with a remote. ;)

Maybe your needs are different - maybe you really would use those extra GBs of HD space, and those extra 200 mhz. But IMO, when you're saving almost 1/3 of the cost, it's a pretty easy decision to get the refurb. With the savings you could upgrade the RAM to 4GB, buy a 320 or 500GB hard drive, and still probably have enough left over for an ipod nano. :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I would go with the best you can afford. That's something you'll never regret. I just got the new 2.4 BlackBook (open box discount for $1350) and I love it.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I went for the 2.2ghz macbook, saved over $200 and upgraded the drive and ram.
I now have a faster macbook apart from the 0.2ghz which I will never notice!

DeucesWyyld

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
Why go Refurb?

Why go for a refurb Macbook when you can get a brand new 2.2ghz last gen Macbook on a closeout clearance? I am looking to do some light video editing and web design too, and that's what I did!:D Check out http://www.MacMall.com to see all the closeout deals.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I was in the exact same boat. I went with a 2.2Ghz and saved about $500 or so. So I upgraded the HD and RAM. Not have a 160GB 7200RPM HD and 4GB RAM. I think my 2.2 does just fine. :D

MacBooksRock

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, go for the 2.2GHz, it'll save you money, and the upgrade to 2.4 isn't that much of a speed increase.

JL1236

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
heres what you do.....

just buy a NEW blackbook off amazon dude. they are 1299 with a 100 mail in rebate. more expensive than the refurb? barely. amazon doesnt charge the sales tax that apple does so you end up getting a new in box 2.2 black book with 2G of ram for slightly more (less than 100 bucks) than a refurb. i think its the better deal personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.