PDA

View Full Version : Dual Joysticks Support In Ut!?

LimeiBook86
May 5, 2002, 08:56 PM
I have two of the same USB joysticks, I wonder if I can use them at the same time in Unreal Tournament. I have a Key Lime iBook with only 1 USB port so I need a hub, but when I hook up both joysticks up through the hub and I open the joystick software control panel it says that there are no devieces to configure. The joysticks are from Suncom they are model iFX4000 (:rolleyes:I think:rolleyes:) Is there a special extension I need or something? Or a program? Because I would really like to use both joysticks at the same time, I can use one to move an one to aim. I would be great! :D So can you guys think o anything I can do to use both joysticks at the same time!?:confused:

sparkleytone
May 7, 2002, 04:41 AM
ewww.

FPS games should be played with keyboard and mouse.

Beej
May 7, 2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
(:rolleyes:I think:rolleyes:)LOL... I can see what you tried to do... didn't quite work though :)

LimeiBook86
May 9, 2002, 09:26 PM
As Eric Cartman once said " I would if I could your son of a b***h!" No offence, I have an iBook its hard to use the keyboard and my trackpad.... no hard feelings.... :D

peterjhill
May 9, 2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
ewww.

Call me a heretic, but I love the xbox controller with Halo, I wouldn't want to play it without a controller with two thumbsticks.

Being able to easily run one way, look another, is way nice, not to mention that both thumbsticks are also buttons. I know that the controller got panned, but it is pretty damn nice.

AlphaTech
May 9, 2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
As Eric Cartman once said " I would if I could your son of a b***h!" No offence, I have an iBook its hard to use the keyboard and my trackpad.... no hard feelings.... :D

Get a mouse... three button ones are optimal (left, right and scrolling wheel button between them). I do that all the time with my TiBook, which has a keyboard about the same size as your ibook. With the mouse attached, killing in UT is a snap (actually a bang, blast and scream :D).

mischief
May 10, 2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
ewww.

With all due respect: MY *SS!!!

The best FPS interface is an Airstick, good headphones and an intuos for targeting. nothing quite like a good Tablet for removing Skulltops while running backward.:D

AlphaTech
May 10, 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by mischief

With all due respect: MY *SS!!!

The best FPS interface is an Airstick, good headphones and an intuos for targeting. nothing quite like a good Tablet for removing Skulltops while running backward.:D

How much did the airstick and tablet set you back??? Personally (this is just me talkin here), I use the A,D,W,S keys for moving (use the mouselook feature as well, so that I rarely use the A,D, keys except to strafe), space bar to jump, left and right mouse buttons for primary and alternate/secondary firing and the number keys (above the keyboard, not the keypad) to select the weapon of choice. I have won many a tournament with that setup.

Ultimately, it is up to each person to come up with the combination of controls that suites them best. I tried to use a dual joystick for Commanche 4, and found that it didn't do nearly as well as the mouse/keyboard combination. I could target much faster with the mouse, and I could move better that way.

Maybe we should set up a Macrumors UT server and have a 'frag-fest' one of these days. :D

mischief
May 10, 2002, 01:09 PM
I did it initially with a CH Flightstick Pro and a 6x8 Penpartner. They're ADB so they're useless to me with OS X. I'm replacing the Tablet first, I have no $$ for a 12x18 Intuos so I'm getting a Graphire. Effectively 3 buttons on the pen.

If you know of an OS X driver for the CH I'd prefer to keep it. It's the single best Stick I've ever seen.

LimeiBook86
May 11, 2002, 09:39 AM
Thanks, maybe I'll get the TopGun Joystick set, it has a Joystick and Throtle, I can use that! :)
Thanks for all of your help! :D

LethalWolfe
May 13, 2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill

Call me a heretic, but I love the xbox controller with Halo, I wouldn't want to play it without a controller with two thumbsticks.

Being able to easily run one way, look another, is way nice, not to mention that both thumbsticks are also buttons. I know that the controller got panned, but it is pretty damn nice.

Heretic! ;)

Personally, I don't see how you can top the KB&M combo. I use a "standard" setup (like Alpha) but A and D buttons are always strafe. I also use the scroll wheel to cycle thru weapons more than I use number keys.

There just aren't enough buttons on controllers or joysticks. For example, I love playing the Infiltration mod for UT (it's a realism mod). Besides the "normal" actions you have a flash light, reload, drop item, lay prone, lean left/right, hot keys for default and custom text/sounds (defend the base, etc.,), feign<sp?> death, rate of fire (single, semi, full auto), three movements speeds (walk, run, sprint). The flexibility and expandibility of the KB&M combo is just too superior to anything else out there right now for me to think 'bout leaving it behind.

Lethal