Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcs1088

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I have a 2.2 GHz Santa Rosa MacBook w/a 120 GB Hard Drive and 2 GB of Ram. I want to upgrade my hard drive, but before I spend the money I wanted to know how big I could go? Any other info there is on upgrading a hard drive would cool too. Thanks a lot for the help.

EDIT: Checked out OWC and found a 250 GB Western Digital for $107.99. Could I use this?
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD2500BEVS/

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I was just on apple's website and noticed that 250 GB was the biggest hard drive you could upgrade to, is that the case or is it just apple's choice to do that and can upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive?

Your MB will take drives larger than what is made. You can install the 320 gig drive and it will work just fine. You can go with a 7200 rpm drive, but there's really no need to. The 5400s give you just about the same performance because of their increased platter densities.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
yes, you just have to make sure that it's 9.5mm in heigt and 2.5 inch.

I've installed a 320 GB Western Digital Scorpio drive myself 2 weeks ago in my MacBook. I am very happy with it so far, it's fast and calm. It's a lot of space for a notebook, so I have all my music and pictures on the go, wherever I go.

I wouldn't go for a 7200 rpm drive, they're more expensive for less HD space and as one said before and have quite similar speeds than a bigger 5400 rpm drive.

If you can wait a little bit, then wait until the first 500 GB drives will be released if you need that much space. Samsung will be the first one to introduce one that fits into your MacBook, as far as I know.

jcs1088

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Your MB will take drives larger than what is made. You can install the 320 gig drive and it will work just fine. You can go with a 7200 rpm drive, but there's really no need to. The 5400s give you just about the same performance because of their increased platter densities.

thank everybody for the help. good to know 5400 will do just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.