PDA

View Full Version : iTunes burned discs won't play

Justin Kerr
Nov 7, 2003, 09:52 AM
I have burned an Apple Music Store purchased playlist to a disc on my PowerBook G4, but when I load the disc in my home CD deck it won't play and the deck gives me an error message. I've tried playing the disc in two different CD decks and neither will not play the disc. It plays fine in my G4's super drive and I don't receive any error messages when I burn it.

I checked the burning preferences for iTunes and they are set to according to instructions (see attached).

I only have another eight burns left to try before the limit on the purchased MP3s expires so I want to figure this out.:confused:

mactastic
Nov 7, 2003, 10:08 AM
It's ok, just shuffle the playlist until you sort it out. AFAIK, the DRM rules are 10 burns of a particular playlist. Switch the order of any of the songs, and you get another 10 burns.

Only thing i can think of is maybe you have an older CD player that doesn't recognize the 80 min CDs? I had that trouble with an older CD player in my car. Burned disks that played fine on the computer and on my home CD player would not even show up in the car. Try a couple (new) CD players and see what happens.

You're sure they were burned in Audio format? When you put the disk in the computer, is the file size about what you would expect, or is it way to small?

Justin Kerr
Nov 7, 2003, 10:17 AM
Yes, I'm sure both were burned in Audio format.

The first disc I burned was a 74min/650MB CD-R and the second was an 80min/700MB CD-R.

Should I be checking the size of the disc before or after I burn it?

Horrortaxi
Nov 7, 2003, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking it's either the player not reading burned media (older ones are sketchy about it and really old ones just won't do it) or it's the media itself. I've never had a problem playing my burned CDs but my players are all under about 3 years old.

Also, regarding the 10 burn limit--that's for a playlist, not the song. Shuffle the song order and it's a new playlist. Delete and recreate and I think it's new as well but I haven't tried it.

Fukui
Nov 7, 2003, 11:11 AM
Older CD players can't read some CD-R or especially CD-RW discs. Are they coming in weird colors such as purple, red, blue (the bottom of the CD), or try to crank down the burning speed. Sometimes older 1x speed CD players can't read the data properly when it was written above 8x or so (too many small errors or something)...

unc32
Nov 7, 2003, 02:45 PM
If it burning it as an audio CD then it should be no problem. I'd double check that it is an audio CD. I've done it thousands of time without any problem.

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2003, 03:10 PM
Are you clicking the "Burn as Playlist" option? That might be burning the playlist onto the CD also (not sure, just throwing out theory)...

To burn the CD just click on the playlist then click on the burn icon on the top right corner of iTunes a few times. That's what you want to do. I'm pretty sure if you right click on the playlist it brings up a "Burn as Playlist" option which you might not want.