Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Is in your opinion Canon Autofocus better than Nikon's ??

Please read on:

I bought a Nikon D50 with an 18-55 lens kit almost a year ago.

The autofocus capacity, (only five AF points), remained me to
an old Canon EOS 5 film camera that I had.

At first, that was ok, but later on the number of autofocus
points felt a bit limited when one wanted to focus on a
specific point of the subject to be photographed. The
autofocus became a bit helpless because one had to
reframe quite often as the autofocus points couldn't match the
desired points to be focused.

Are the nine AF points from any of the Canon EOS Rebel models
so good as to sell my Nikon ??

I have thought on getting on getting a Canon EOS Rebel XT,
XTi, or XSi. It all depends on the money I'll be getting on
coming weeks and the lenses I can afford.

I had already saved for a wide angle lens for the Nikon:
http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-12-24m...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207029389&sr=8-1

but Canon offers this lens that may be more advantageous for
arquitecture shots. The lens is wider though more expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-10...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207029669&sr=1-5

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts and
opinion : ) !!!

By the way, Canon has some other cool lenses, like this one,
with f/2.8 and Image Stabilizer. Pricey however : ( !!!
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-17...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207029952&sr=1-1

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Newer Nikon cameras (like newer Canons) have more AF points, your D50 is simply `old'. Your old EOS 5 was a semiprofessional Canon at the time, so it has remained more competitive than your D50. If you want to stick to Nikon and get more AF points, get a used D70 or D80, which have 5 or 11 AF points. Note that the center AF points on all cameras are the most sensitive and accurate.

Also, note that AF accuracy depends heavily on the lens, lenses with wider aperture tend to focus faster and more accurately. So overall, it seems to me that you simply need to replace your old dslr with a new one.

Concerning lenses, Sigma makes a 10-20 mm zoom which covers the same focal length as the Canon lens you've eyed. Based on IQ and built quality, Tokina beats both, the Canon and the Sigma, though.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I have used both Canon and Nikon cameras and I only use the centre AF point as I always recompose the image.

Using AF points is just annoying and fiddly as you spend so much time changing them depending on what you are shooting. If you just use one then you know where you are and it take a lot less time.

Also it takes 2 steps to change the AF point on canon rather than just 1 on Nikon so that is a pain.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Nikon and Canon consumer bodies have just about the same autofocus. And the lenses are just about the same unless you want to get into the specialty stuff which will be really expensive, or really unnecessary.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nikon D50 has 5 points. Canon's current bottom end has 9, according to you. If you want to "focus, then recompose" like many people do using the middle focal point, then having 9 focus points isn't going to help you, either. You're going to have to focus and recompose sometimes using either camera.

And I don't think going from 5 AF points to 9 AF points is enough reason to switch brands. That's silly. The Canon 17-55 mm f/2.8 is nice, but there is a Nikon equivalent. The Tokina 12-24 mm on the Nikon is also wider than the same lens on a Canon ("crop factor").

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I wouldn't be too concerned with autofocus points. It is a very expensive switch to change bodies for that. When I played with a Nikon DSLR a few years ago in a poorly lit bar, it would only focus on the subjects in the picture if there was absolutely no motion in the background, motion would cause it to hunt. I wasn't at all impressed. I bought a canon primarily for this reason. I have never had an autofocus problem with it when the external flash is used for the infrared boost.

Good luck,

Jamie

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,
Is in your opinion Canon Autofocus better than Nikon's ??

There is more difference between the different model of Nikons(or Canons) then there is between Canon and Nikon.

In other words you will see far more improvment if you move to a differnt (higher numbered) Nikon body then if you move horizontally to an equivelent low-end Canon.

Actually your D50 focuses faster. With the D50 you change AF points quickly and the Canon takes longer to switch them. Almost everyone simply uses the center AF point and recomposes. Or if the scene is really hard for the AF to follow uses manual focus.

The lens is also a major factor. No matter the brand the faster f/2.8 lesn let in more light and the AF sensor always work beter with more light.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I have used both Canon and Nikon cameras and I only use the centre AF point as I always recompose the image.

Using AF points is just annoying and fiddly as you spend so much time changing them depending on what you are shooting. If you just use one then you know where you are and it take a lot less time.

Also it takes 2 steps to change the AF point on canon rather than just 1 on Nikon so that is a pain.

Well put. I have always considered AF points in the same league as "AUTO" mode. I do not know any photographers who use "AUTO" anything other than aperture priority.

My advice is forget about AF points and look at the serious features. If you want to relegate a decent DSLR to point and shoot status then go ahead and use the "AUTO GALORE" setting.
;)

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If he's invested any money in lenses, perhaps Nikon D50 user should just get a D80, D200, or even a D300 instead. Any of those is better than a Canon Rebel. If he really wants Canon, then he should get a 40D.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
If he's invested any money in lenses, perhaps Nikon D50 user should just get a D80, D200, or even a D300 instead. Any of those is better than a Canon Rebel. If he really wants Canon, then he should get a 40D.

I agree... if the OP was considering changing cameras anyway, why not go for a newer Nikon.

As for those who use only 1 AF point, count me in. My D40x only has 3 points, but seeing as I always use the center one it's irrelevant.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Just get some new and better glass, and keep the D50. Use the center AF point as many here have suggested, and recompose. It's easy once you start using that technique for it to become second nature. My first AF SLR was a Canon EOS 630 with a single AF sensor. My next SLR was an EOS A2, with 5 sensors. I used the same technique with both. Also, with better, more expensive glass you'll get faster AF and manual override without taking the lenses off auto.

The couple reasons I'd probably look to replace the D50 is the smallish viewfinder and ISO is limited to 200-1600, but otherwise it's still a decent little camera body with great image quality characteristics, good low noise performance. The 6mp isn't as much of a limitation as it sounds, IMO.

If you gotta have a new body, and aren't invested in Nikon glass of any consequence, then you have a lot of cameras to consider that are all good in their own right. The very newest version of the "rebel" is actually the first one I've actually thought looked well made. Canon does have a great AF system in general with 20 years to perfect the EOS system of AF lenses. Nikon and others have all followed in Canon's footsteps with the built-in "ultrasonic" lens motors, but it has taken quite a while for them to catch up, which they more or less have done by now. I have always like the Canon AF feel, which even in my older 35mm bodies, seems to "pop" instantly into focus - "pow!" I haven't felt that with my Nikon kit lens at all, but recognize that it's a budget lens and I haven't tried any really good glass with the Nikon.

I do really like my D50, a lot!.. but I'm not "in love" with it like I was with my EOS 630 and EOS A2 bodies when I was using them every day. (I wasn't as much a fan of the EOS Elan series or the original Rebels - too entry-level consumer in approach/build.) They (630, A2) were fast responding cameras, no major electronics to slow things down, and had lightning quick handling.

To give the D50 some credit, it was the entry-level dSLR from Nikon when I got it, and compared to the Canon digital Rebels it competed with, I was instantly converted, by build quality alone and a secret, underlying respect for all things "Nikon" throughout the years. I haven't even begun to approach the quality of images the D50 can produce, so I'm not compelled to get rid of it - rather I'm compelled to start enjoying Nikon's good, pro-level glass on this underappreciated, older generation dSLR.

I guess what all this shows me is that there can be happiness found with whatever system one gets into, and unhappiness found there too. It depends on how you're shooting, how you need your camera/lens combination to respond, what image quality is essential and what you can accept, and ultimately, what you can afford. Pentax, Olympus and the old Minolta (now Sony) are also great companies with decent, competent products, but if you're ever thinking of going pro as a photojournalist, stick with Canon or Nikon.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
The Canon 17-55 mm f/2.8 is nice, but there is a Nikon equivalent.
Strictly speaking, without getting in an argument about IS and no IS, the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS is the only standard zoom with both 2.8 and IS.

That's what makes it so desirable. Until you move on to full frame anyway.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds like you've made the decision based on lack of research or misinformation. I think you'll find that you'll save money with buying better glass or moving from the D50 to the D80 or even something like th D300 (which AF is amazing on that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.