Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcfcjack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
how do you make panarama of rooms with my digital camera.I cant afford an slr .

thanks jack

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
If you have Photoshop CS 3 then there is an option called Photomerge - it provides intelligent and quick panorama from a succession of photos.

How to:

1) Open Photoshop
2) Go to File Menu
3) Go down to Automate
4) Select Photomerge from Submenu
5) It will then ask you to select the files you want to use and the type of panorama you want then hey presto it does it all for you.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you have a Canon camera, the included software has a panorama maker. I think it's called Photostitch.

I'm guessing the other manufacturers also have panorama software included as well.

Dave B

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
Santa Monica
You have to use a tripod and manual settings for best results. Take the pictures going round the room and overlap them slightly. Then take them pics into some photo editing software and make a big image.

Dave

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you have a Canon camera, the included software has a panorama maker. I think it's called Photostitch.

Even if you do NOT have a Canon camera the above will work. It is available for free on Canon's web site. The software only want .jpg files and those can be shot with any camera

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
You have to use a tripod and manual settings for best results. Take the pictures going round the room and overlap them slightly. Then take them pics into some photo editing software and make a big image.

Dave

Just to add to the above, When you place the camera on the tripod try to make sure the vertical axis of rotation pass through the middle of the camer just in back of the lens. Actually you can get more technical with this but this simple methos will get you to within an inch of perfect. If you want to cover more height you can turn the camera so it take vertical shots. Buying a screw-on wide angle lens will help somewhat because you will have less photos to stitch together.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just to add to the above, When you place the camera on the tripod try to make sure the vertical axis of rotation pass through the middle of the camer just in back of the lens.
This is harder to do than it sounds with many P&S. I haven't seen many where the tripod mount is directly under the lens.

One other thing is that if your camera allows it, shoot in manual and keep all of the settings the same (shutter, ISO, exposure, etc). My old Sony P&S has a nasty habit of putting different settings for each shot of the panorama. Made it obvious that it was stitched together.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
This is harder to do than it sounds with many P&S. I haven't seen many where the tripod mount is directly under the lens.

You are right about that but the thing to remember is that in the US tripods use standard 1/4 inch bolt threads. If you have a block of wod and a drill and some 1/4 inch hardware store parts you can make gadget that puts the camers in the right spot.

In is not the end of the world if you don't get the camera in the exact right spot. The problem you create by a misplaced camera is "parallax". To see it move your head from side toside and notice that forground objects move relative to background objects. Stitching becomes harder if forground objects move between exposures. You can still make a panorama but you can't use the easy automatic tools, you'll either be doing the work by hand in Photoshop or just living with some artifacts in the final image.

Normal outdoor panoramas don't have many very lose forground objects so the parallax effect is minor but indoors everything is not at "infinity" and it will pay off to get the camera possitioned correctly

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You are right about that but the thing to remember is that in the US tripods use standard 1/4 inch bolt threads. If you have a block of wod and a drill and some 1/4 inch hardware store parts you can make gadget that puts the camers in the right spot.

That is a very good tip. I'll have to remember that the next time I try a panorama with a P&S.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.