Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi,

I have iMovie '08 and Final Cut Express at my disposal for editing AVCHD clips from my camcorder. Is there a way to work faster, i.e. should i import everything in FCE right away or make a rough edit in iMovie first and then export to FCE to do the things you can't do with iMovie?
I am relatively new to editing stuff myself and am trying to figure out the best order in which i should go at it.

If anyone knows of some free online tutorials on this i would be very happy to hear from you too.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
If Speed is your main issue and, you're concerned about EDITING faster... and, since you are new to the Editing in general...my suggestion would be to learn FCE as well as you can, and work with one edit platform.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, unless there is a specific reason you NEED to use iMovie '08, it just seems to be a waste of time to cut half the project on that platform and transfer the project to FCE.

Also, as far as expandability, FCE can be upgraded to FCS easily enough at a later date...iMovie '08 is... well, it's iMovie '08.

This probably wasn't what you had hoped to hear but, having been a full-time editor on both AVID and Final Cut for the past 10+ years, my experience always puts me in the same position each time a NEW project comes up... Which edit program will suite my and the client's needs best? Then I will stick with that.

Plus, you will ALWAYS get faster editing, using shortcut keystrokes instead of a mouse to find a drop down menu etc.... TIME (speed) usually becomes an issue with regard to importing footage, rendering footage, and exporting footage, burning the footage to a DVD etc.... that's where time is usually wasted or should I say... unproductive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.