Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaronVonFlapJac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Ok, I have had my ATV for nearly 2 months now, I rip my movies with Handbrake on my new iMac, and have the brand new Airport N Base station. Every time I look at my iTunes, my ATV is constantly syncing my movies. Lets say I have 20 movies in my iTunes, and I have checked them all to be synced. It is constantly saying "Syncing 1 of 20 Jackie Brown". It then runs through the list of movies, but 2 weeks later, when I launch iTunes or not, its saying the same thing, starting with movie # 1. Yet those movies are never SYNCED to my ATV, as when I turn off my Itunes those movies are not available.

The other really annoying thing is when watching a movie on my ATV, every 30 seconds to a minute the movie freezes for about 5 seconds then continues. It is driving my nuts since I cannot watch a single movie I have ripped for the ATV. I verified on my computer that the movies play fine. And sometimes they actually play fine, I was watching one yesterday without interruption, then later another movie kept freezing that I actually had to stop it and just went ahead and put the DVD into the player.

Is it just the network stream? If so, this is really no way to watch movies, but that is why I wanted to store them on my ATV so I didn't have this issue.

Any ideas?

The Baron

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
You've got network interference, and someone could be piggybacking your network.

Try restarting all of your equipment and password protecting it. Before that, you might try a different channel for your WIFI. Make sure no cordless phones/microwaves are on/in the area while you test streaming.

Streaming should work well with a G network.

BaronVonFlapJac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
My network is password protected, and no phones or microwaves are in use when I am having these problems. The phones are on a different frequency than the airport as well. I also tried shutting down all other computers and wireless devices on my network to make sure the bandwidth wasn't full. Ill try to change the wireless channel and see if that makes a difference.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
I have a similar issue.

My mac is wired to the AEB, my itunes library hard drive is plugged into the AEB as well. I have wireless n only set up on the AEB. I stream all content to the ATV and 90% of the time the video is stuttering all over the place, as it tries to load.

My only solution is to drill a load of holes in my house and put wires down all this has happened since upgrading to 10.5.2. Before that all was ok.

I don't know why 10.5.2 would effect it, as the mac is wired to the AEB !

grovertdog

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Ebony- It is my understanding that using an external HD connected to the Airport will NOT successfully work with AppleTV.

swimfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
here's my observations. i've got about 700 handbrake rips and have dealt with freezing and skipping since day one. my solution is a solution, but it's not exactly perfect. i tried one day to get to the bottom of the skipping. i started the matrix (one of my movies i ripped at 3000 kbps) it always skipped for the first 20 mins or so. i watched the computers network connection that it was streaming from. from what i gather, the itunes server you are using to send to appletv immediately starts streaming the entire movie to the appletv. at around 4mbps a 2000-3000kpbs movie takes about 20-25 mins to fully transfer to the appletv. i always noticed that i never had skipping problems after a movie's half-way point. what i believe we are dealing with is an underpowered machine (appletv) trying to stream 2-3gigs of data and play it back at the same time. i've tried it wired with ethernet and wireless and it still works the same. naturally, ethernet transfers a bit faster, but it's not enough to make a big difference. i noticed similar speeds of around 4mbps (maybe the appletv throttles the connection?) the freezing problems i had usually came around the 20 min mark in a movie. i think this is just appletv finishing the transfer of the entire movie, causing it to work even harder.

SOLUTION: pick you movie and start the movie. immediately pause the movie. itunes will continue to stream the entire movie to the apple tv. wait about 20 mins and start playing. perfect playback every time!! like i said earlier, the solution isn't perfect. the whole point of this device is to be able to play stuff, "on demand". it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with lower bit rate stuff (under 2000kbps).

eschulist

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I stream all of my movies and I have never experienced a skipping or freezing problem. The largest movies (almost 3 hour movies at 2500-3000) are just on the edge of the 4gig mark and nothing is any different than the crappy 90 min movie at 2000. They are being streamed wirelessly off a MacPro. I don't know the network settings offhand as my its my roommates router but we can download files and torrents at the same time without issues.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
my only solution was to connect the harddrive containing my itunes library directly to my mac, and connect everything via ethernet cable.

I give up with a wireless solution to stream video. I understand some people have more success than I have experienced, but for me there are too many unknowns interrupting the streaming.

The strange thing is everything worked fine on a slower wireless g network for months. I only started to get issues after installing leopard.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I have never had this issue on my Mac. See my signature. I run handbrake encodes, safari, MetaX, iTunes, Pages, Numbers, etc all at the same time with no streaming issues. I sync nothing to my ATV except my Radio Station Playlists. Mac is extremely slow, but still work. Firewall is set to allow all incoming connections.

My settings are custom sync and uncheck all movies, music; did not check the "show only movies synced" and everything works perfectly.

I have all my movies on the 1TB time capsule, but have used my WesternDigital and a Maxtor external hard drive connected prior to my TC and still no issues.

Don't know if this helps, but I would say it is either your Hard Drive, Firewall or a defective product. If I can't break the Mac Mini running the above programs, I have a hard time thinking it is a performance issues on the computers side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.