Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have a macbook pro (recent model) and want to install windows. I only have a copy of vista preimium, but i think my sister has xp on an old machine I gave her. Things I would like to do:

- Print with a laser printer that doesnt work in osx, only in windows
- Use Quicken (Please update quicken for mac users!)
- Install Adobe Publisher (for my wife)
- External HD for more storage

There might be one or two small programs, no games etc. If these are the tasks that I want to do, what is the smallest size partition that I can get away with, and should I use VMWare or Parallels for ease?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I would think about 20GB - you could get away with less but you never know what you may want to add in future. It's a bit tricky to increase the virtual disk size beyond its maximum. Bear in mind that if you don't select the "allocate disk space now" option then the virtual disk will start small and grow as required up to the specified maximum.

I use Fusion and I would recommend it 100%. Some others may say that parallels is fine too. You can download a trial of each to test out if you aren't sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.