Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I guess this isn't Adobe's "official" stance on Macs, but it's just another example of how the company seems to attacking Apple and it's own Mac-using customers. Remember that web site that was put up a few months ago on Adobe.com that said Adobe software works best on PCs? Now there's this, which I found at ThinkSecret.com:

In his new book "Illustrator CS for Dummies," Ted Alspach, Adobe's Group Product Manager for Illustration Products, advises new computer buyers to get a PC: "As of 2003, Windows systems have taken a decisive lead over Macs when it comes to performance. The difference is most apparent with graphics applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator, but you?'ll notice it with other applications as well. If you?'re thinking of purchasing a new system, and speed and responsiveness is important (or at least more important than the feel of the OS, I suggest getting a zippy PC over a (comparably) sluggish Mac.?"

The thing is, if his advice was ever sound, it would certainly not be in 2003 with the recently-released G5. At this point, it can hardly be argued that PCs are faster than Macs--both are about equal, and if one processor has an edge at all, it's negligible. It’s comments like this that make me want to abandon Photoshop altogether, but unfortunately there is really no viable alternative.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by edesignuk
Well, it kinda depends when the book was written, because until the G5, PC's were kickin the Macs ass in the speed steaks.
I totally get what you mean, but...what part of the ass does "speed steak" come from? :confused:

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah but the G5 wasn't really a secret for any of 2003. We all knew it was coming, the big debate was over what apple would call it. We knew the likely chip candidate, and anyone remotely involved in the industry the way Adobe is would/should have known this too.

The really sucky thing is that Adobe seems to be actively dissing apple. I mean, their software suite is a natural fit for the type of people who buy macs. Artists, graphics people, print shops and pre-press people. Maybe not so much the web development people, but still.

The other real bummer is that there is no good PShop alternative. Illustrator and InDesign can be replaced, although the Quark people seem less than enthusiastic about Apple either, but PShop is in a class by itself.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The problem with Photoshop and Illustrator on Mac was only partly the hardware. If Adobe had gone to Mac OS X-only applications with Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10, they would have performed quite a bit better. Instead, they chose to do the minimum to Carbon-ise their applications and it showed.

Interesting that IDG, who owns part of MacWorld magazine and the shows, would put this into a book meant for either machine.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
actually the speeds are about equal only for the dual G5, any g4 machine is getting spanked big time, the single G5's are a little behind but the adobe president is right, macs are slower and more sluggish and is all the more reason for new G5's machines to show themselfs the next 12 months.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by mactastic
Yeah but the G5 wasn't really a secret for any of 2003. We all knew it was coming, the big debate was over what apple would call it. We knew the likely chip candidate, and anyone remotely involved in the industry the way Adobe is would/should have known this too.

So you think Ted Alspach, who's book was probably written well before the G5's were announced, let alone shipped and benchmarked, should have recommend a then vaper-ware next get PowerMac to his readers based on rumors, speculation, and assumptions? That's not too professional, and it doesn't help his readers one bit. A product that might come out sometime in the possibly not to distant future doesn't help me w/the projects currently sitting on my desk.

Lethal

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
It does worry me to see Apple losing ground in the few industries that always backed Apple. The three that come to mind:

1) Graphic arts. As we can see, Adobe and others are recommending PC's over Macs. Many graphic artists have indeed switched to cheaper PC hardware. Say what you will about the intelligence of their decision... Apple needs them to stay.

2) Music. Holy cow - Digidesign, makers of Pro Tools (the industry standard for audio recording) now does all of their hardware demos on PC's. Sony stuff, to be specific. A lot of musicians were really pissed at Apple when they said they would stop production of machines that would boot into OS 9, since the software hadn't caught up to OS X.x yet - and still isn't there fully. When they made the announcement, I bought a MDD Powermac, which ended up being the noisiest Mac in history (maybe the noisiest professional home computer in history). Many musicians besides myself found themselves pouring hundreds of extra dollars into trying to silence the beasts, as its just not something you can have in the background of your recordings. I put mine in my closet, yet with the closet door closed, the beast is still too loud by a long shot and picks up significantly by my microphones. Apple eventually released a power supply exchange program, which yielded a machine that was about as noisy as before and still exceeded Apple's own noise-limit standards. This is the one industry I can think of that's never turned their back on Apple, so its pretty unpleasant to see these things.

3) Education. Always has been a big market for Apple, yet is slipping away to Dell and other PC manufacturers, simply because they are cheaper and give steeper discounts to educational institutions.

Let us hope for at least a performance salvation with the next G5's and that Apple finds a way to rekindle their romance with those industries.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
So you think Ted Alspach, who's book was probably written well before the G5's were announced, let alone shipped and benchmarked, should have recommend a then vaper-ware next get PowerMac to his readers based on rumors, speculation, and assumptions? That's not too professional, and it doesn't help his readers one bit. A product that might come out sometime in the possibly not to distant future doesn't help me w/the projects currently sitting on my desk.

Lethal

Nah he don't have to recommend a "vaporware" mac, and maybe he just was clueless about apples's future, but lots of other people were taking a wait-and-see attitude about the future of apples processors. It's not like this was a total secret. I suppose if the book was written in late 2002 and intended to be out early 2003 then I am wrong in my assumptions. It just seems to me that someone like adobe (who had a G5 patch for PShop out pretty darn quick after the G5's were out) would have had some inkling that apple was up to something.

As to the projects sitting on your desk, yeah that's one area where SJ's obsession with secrecy causes problems. The road map for apple is much murkier than for the Wintel world. I was frankly shocked that Jobs promised 3Ghz G5's by next fall. Not because I don't think it will happen, but because that's just so out of character for him. Apple likes to surprise us. Or try to anyway, MR makes it kind of difficult.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.