Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
cnet sucks and so do their reviews/articles. this article really proves why ipod is the best and why none of the other players will be ipod killers.

dell dj has a better battery life, so you won't run out of music on the plane. you know they have power adapters you can use on an airplane, right? the price is the only reason why dell has a shot with this player. apple needs to start lowering prices on their ipods soon.

iriver for jogging. uh, what? i've never had my ipod skip, not once, no matter how much it was being bounced around. flash cards suck with such limited storage.

mp3 cd players with a cd wallet of 20 cds, does this not defeat the purpose of having a compact, portable player?

samsung and iriver ihp for high quality digital recording. ok you got ipod there. however, with voice recording on the ipod, i'd assume if someone hasn't already done it, there'll be a hack or update from apple for high quality recording. that said, all the cons of these players greatly outway the recording feature.

lastly, music store options. there is only one option for quality, quantity, price, and ease of use -- itms.

so thanks eliot for writing an article that supports the ipod. you tried so hard to be negative about the ipod, but it wouldn't work. did you read the end of your own article? "While not ideal for some niche activities, it's still hands down the best-designed MP3 player in the world. "

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Yah, for real. CNet has been all over apples case lately. Blowing any little issue into a huge deal.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Apple must be doing something right, because the Apple bashing FUD coming from CNET/ZDNET has been relentless lately. There is a new "story" like this coming out now at least daily from these guys. It certainly sounds like somebody there (or the someone that is lining their pockets) is getting a little scared of the success Apple has been having lately and is doing all they can to rain on the parade. All I know is obviously the FUD machine is cranking into overdrive over there.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I think this article is a good one. Much better than the "all praise apple" articles. It seems to point out some of the bad things some people might not like about the iPOD. This is the type of article that is needed. A non bias one. He complains about all the things he dislike without bashing. And in the end he still goes to say that the iPod is still by far the best MP3 player out there.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ha...how refined an article... :rolleyes:

now that there's a device where a person can dump their digital photos onto an iPod...it just may be within my soon to be reach... :D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Since each MP3 CD holds about 10 hours of music, you could carry 20 CD-Rs in a CD wallet and have about the same amount of music that fits on the 15GB iPod.

i think someone is missing the point... who would rather dig through 20 CD-Rs with tens or hundreds of MP3s on 'em, rather than simply scrolling to a song? anyone that has an iPod knows why the above is inane.

and yes, i realize he was giving alternatives for niche markets. but i simply don't think you can compare an MP3-CD player to an iPod... especially for cost purposes. they're entirely different devices and are in entirely different classes.

pnw

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
the article should have been a pro's and con's article, not just all cons, and the article doesn't make sence. i love my ipod, but here are 5 reasons why you shouldn't?! wtf? where did you learn to write persuasive articles?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Ok, the iPod might not be perfect... but to me, it seems that it would be much easier to write an article titled "10 reasons not to buy anything BUT the iPod" than this guy's "5 reasons not to buy an iPod"

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
So Panther sucks because the "Favorites" folder is gone, and the iPod sucks because it's hard drive based.

Wow, I'm so glad CNet's around to inform us of why Apple's products are so good (the iPod still got a glowing review), but suck at the same time.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Actually, the article is correct--if you are one of the people to whom these five specific complaints about the iPod are important, then you have other choices.

Thankfully, I "[am not] fond of jogging, have ample disposable income, don't need to record/encode music portably, and want to purchase music downloads only from the iTunes Music Store", so me and my iPod are good to go! (I won't address the claim of low battery life, because I get a consistent 8-10 hours from my iPod, and time has yet to tell whether Dell's DJ will live up to its stated battery life in regular use.)

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
Unfortunately, many of the comments he makes about the iPod are correct and, although I love my 15GB 3g iPod, they aren't for everyone. He doesn't really bash Apple or the iPod, just tells us what its weaknesses are, which is what those reviewer sites should do.

There is a niche market that Apple may be missing though, and that is the small player market. For those who workout or just simply don't have three hundred bucks to drop on an MP3 player. Apple should look into at least making a small MP3 player, much like the iRiver (interesting product name though, eh?) that will play AAC files and is highly portable. I don't take my iPod to the gym because it's a little too big and costly to sweat on. Just my 2 cents, whatever they are worth.
-Apmonia

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Thi article should really be called "4 reasons not o buy. . . " becasue carrying a bundle of CDR's and a CD player defeats the point of portable music. I can't even picture doing this in day-2-day activities. Its ubsurd. Period.

But I ahev to agree about Jogging and the gym. I admit i don't have a new one, but my 20G ipod is cumbersome in its beltclip, and to use the remote with the headphones gives me enough wireing to jump rope with.

He kinda fails to point out thoguh, that although he makes specifc suggestions for each problem, there is still no one player he can reccommend.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
The last part:

Of course, if you don't care about low battery life, aren't fond of jogging, have ample disposable income, don't need to record/encode music portably, and want to purchase music downloads only from the iTunes Music Store, then the iPod is the best the way to go.

I think that's pretty harsh. To me it's kind of like, "if you're dumb, go out and buy one."

Here's another good one:

File transfers were 0.86MB per second over USB 1.1 and, as one would expect, a speedier 2.4MB per second over USB 2.0. This means you can fill the player's 15GB capacity (about 280 hours of music at 128Kps) in approximately 5 hours over USB 1.1, or in about 1.75 hours if your computer has USB 2.0.

5 HOURS? In that time I can hit my local Apple store and get an iPod, thanks :p

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by 1macker1
I think this article is a good one. Much better than the "all praise apple" articles. It seems to point out some of the bad things some people might not like about the iPOD. This is the type of article that is needed. A non bias one. He complains about all the things he dislike without bashing. And in the end he still goes to say that the iPod is still by far the best MP3 player out there.

I'm totally agree, I was aboput to get an iPod for a trip I was planing to do but I had my doubs, specially for the cost and specially because the iPod technology is not the best yet. I mean:

1. I can not record in stereo.
2. I do not have an LCD that let me watch Quict Time movies.
3. Is very expensive for the ammount of technology, for the double you can get an iMac.
4. Bateries doesn't last that long neither and I need expensive accesories to plug it to the car.

Definitly I'm going with the CD MP3 player.

I love Apple but when Apple loves me as a smart costumer.

crookedcharlie

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2003
Los Angeles, CA USA
Here's what I wrote to him:
While I understand the idea behind your article, I wonder, what exactly the purpose it. Why are you trying to convince people NOT to buy an excellent MP3 player, not to mention the best one on the market? What service are you performing? You're not enlightening people on a better product, nor are you suggesting things Apple should do to improve an already great product. No, what you're doing is giving people excuses to NOT buy a really great product, and at the same time, promoting the inferior alternatives, citing what little advantages they do have over it. "Dell DJ has better battery life, so don't buy an iPod, buy a Dell DJ!" Unless, of course, you want a new, untested product with so-so reviews and barely any support from a company notorious for grotesque customer service practices...

You've already reviewed the iPod against the others, and it won. I don't understand why you feel the need to "re-review" the products, but now only review other products strengths against the iPod's few weaknesses. It reeks of an agenda of some sort, but for the life of me I can't figure out what you're trying to gain. Your last paragraph is particularly ridiculous:

"Of course, if you don't care about low battery life, aren't fond of jogging, have ample disposable income, don't need to record/encode music portably, and want to purchase music downloads only from the iTunes Music Store, then the iPod is the best the way to go. "

Translation: you'd be an idiot to buy the ipod, the best MP3 player in the world, because it's not perfect. Not that any of these others are even half as good, but still, you're a jackass.

Keep looking for iPod killers! I'm sure you'll find one eventually. I myself am constantly on the lookout for DVD killers, beacuse DVD's don't fit in the cigar box I've decided to keep my movies in...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i think someone is missing the point... who would rather dig through 20 CD-Rs with tens or hundreds of MP3s on 'em, rather than simply scrolling to a song? anyone that has an iPod knows why the above is inane.

and yes, i realize he was giving alternatives for niche markets. but i simply don't think you can compare an MP3-CD player to an iPod... especially for cost purposes. they're entirely different devices and are in entirely different classes.

pnw

Man, you do not listen to all your CDs even in a year! I have a DVD-Rom with all my music in MP3. I spent one weekend transfering and burning it in to one DVD. 4.5GB of music and I have it ther for storage only, I just transfer maybe 80MB back to my computer and still there are music that I do not listen to.

When I was a kid I could take all my 40 CDs collection of Depeche Mode with me... to listen one to 1 or 2 CD's?

Get real, you are using 15GB of music that you will not listen in a year, I'm a musician, I have CDs and I listen to everything and I know what I'm talking about.

Besides, I rather carry with 10 CDs with MP3 in my car rather than a $500 device that can be damage from the heat if I live it inside the car.

I had learned not to be obsesive about things specially with money.

Even, if I had the millions of Dollars I would wait for a better version of the iPod, I'm not the kind of person who like to add more trash to this world.

Many of you have their iPod now, but when the new 80GB, color LCD, QuickTime compatible with stereo audio in comes out, then I'm gonna feel like a winner, then is when I'm gonna feel my money is worth it. Just like the Pismos I have now, a 3 years old computer that still rocks.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
that elliot guy is a douce bag, and I do not see how he comes to his conclusions. He knows nothing about true DAPs and if he did, he would realize that promoting that napster branded piece of **** is the lamest thing i have ever heard. Keep 'em coming elliot, and eventually people will realize you are payed off by creative and such...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.