PDA

View Full Version : wireless questions

phantommaul
Nov 7, 2003, 02:05 PM
i have some questions about wireless networking if u got any information plsease enlighten me :)

*is it possible to make two computers talk with internal bluetooth,

*can i make a network with just using the airort cards or they are just capable of transmitting. if so what is the base station used for.

*can i use the base station for setting up a network and internet sharing between a mac and a pc.

macs forever... de pomme

Schiffi
Nov 7, 2003, 02:11 PM
*is it possible to make two computers talk with internal bluetooth,

Should be possible

*can i make a network with just using the airort cards or they are just capable of transmitting. if so what is the base station used for.

Yes, Basestation is so you won't have to buy a whole other computer for wireless access (IE some people connect to the interent wirelessly and one would need either a Basestation or a computer connected online and use a wireless card (Base station less expensive than getting a whole new computer)

*can i use the base station for setting up a network and internet sharing between a mac and a pc.

People have done it before.

phantommaul
Nov 7, 2003, 02:25 PM
sorry but i didnt understand the second answer.

i said if it is possible to connect two computers (i.e two ibooks) just using the airport cards. - no internet connection, just the basic file sharing.

or do i have to use an airport base station to make the two compurers talk.

TEG
Nov 7, 2003, 02:54 PM
Yes you cans use Airport to connect the two machines. Just use the Airpost menu to set up a network, or the Network Panel. Turn on the airport on the 2nd computer, and off you go.

TEG

phantommaul
Nov 7, 2003, 04:35 PM
thanx this is nice. so the base station is for internet and network sharing for more than 2 compuers.

and what do you suggest for connecting a pc and a mac wirelessly. cheaper, better !

mactastic
Nov 7, 2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by phantommaul
thanx this is nice. so the base station is for internet and network sharing for more than 2 compuers.

and what do you suggest for connecting a pc and a mac wirelessly. cheaper, better !

D-Link and Lynksis both have "g" standard wireless base stations for under $100 after rebates quite often. No USB printer support though.

And many people who have a desktop computer and a laptop don't need a base station, they just use the desktop computer as the base station. For me I wanted the AE base station for the wireless printing, and the external antennae as well as the phone jack for wireless faxing since I am all laptop at home. Using one computer as your base station will give you all these capabilities however.