PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help?---please???

jipper
May 5, 2002, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a real doozy of a problem on my hands. I bought a brand "spanking" new blueberry iBook back in 2000. Unfortunately the time has come where the battery has coughed its last charge. This means that my magically wonderful looking eye-turning laptop is now destined for desktop AC adaptor status. I know that this laptop is about 2 and a half years old and i was wondering if anyone had perhaps replaced their old ibook by now with a newer model. If this is the case, does anyone have a working iBook battery gathering dust????
I cannot understate how grateful I would be, as a student I have already forked out money for a new AC adaptor, and speaker-- I cannot afford to keep spending money on the machine, if indeed the battery is even still available.
I miss wandering through the hallowed halls of Monash with my iBook and receiving grins from the passers-by.
Thanks for reading (if that's all you can do!!!),

Tim.
tamot1@student.monash.edu.au

jipper
May 6, 2002, 01:32 AM
please people.

macstudent
May 6, 2002, 01:57 AM
here is a link to a cheap one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2020970114

Last time I looked it was $49.

Good luck!

Beej
May 6, 2002, 02:09 AM
Help the guy out, he goes to my Uni :)

Which campus?

jipper
May 6, 2002, 06:39 PM
Clayton and Caulfield. You?

Spock
May 10, 2002, 12:54 PM
I think www.clubmac.com has single USB batt's cheap like $29.99
www.vsttech.com had them but I don't think they have the anymore but worth a look. Hope that helps.

Spock

Gelfin
May 10, 2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by jipper
I cannot understate how grateful I would be [...]

I don't have a spare iBook battery, but I should point out that this statement means, "I would be very, very ungrateful." You want to use "overstate" there. :)

AlphaTech
May 10, 2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by jipper
please people.

Chill out Bubba... Call your local (or the closest) Apple retail store, or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) and see if they can give you leads on the battery you need. I would venture to say that the AASP will either have one, or can point you where to get one.

andrio
May 17, 2002, 08:08 AM
hi tim!this is andrio fm chicago,il.don't be hurry to drop your old battery on the garbage.just try to open it and replace the elements inside with new ones.normally they are standart,compare the capacity and the type/Li-ion,Ni-Mh,etc/

AlphaTech
May 17, 2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by andrio
hi tim!this is andrio fm chicago,il.don't be hurry to drop your old battery on the garbage.just try to open it and replace the elements inside with new ones.normally they are standart,compare the capacity and the type/Li-ion,Ni-Mh,etc/

I highly recommend NOT doing this. You would be better served getting a fresh battery then d*cking around with the old one. Besides, how confident do you feel about getting it back together?? Considering how one made to work with the computer will be properly built, and not fry your system if you get the innards wrong.

alex_ant
May 17, 2002, 09:16 PM
There's nothing special about a laptop battery besides its enclosure. Inside a battery pack are several standard Li-ion or NiMH batteries. Just write down how they're wired together, go to Batteries Plus, and re-solder (if required) your new batteries. At the very worst, you'd have to super-glue the case back together and you'd have only saved at least 50% off of the extortionary prices Apple and other laptop makers charge for old batteries.

Alex

ArtMan617
May 28, 2002, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry that I don't know much about batteries, but I am also an iBook owner (although I have a Key Lime SE) and I've noticed that my battery life has been reduced to somewhere around 30 minutes...I wasn't sure if I was going insane or if the battery really was wearing down...could someone explain to me how laptop batteries actually work and if there is a way to salvage my current battery (without taking it apart)?

-ArtMan617

void
May 29, 2002, 08:25 PM
617 is a boston area code, so y r u in princeton?

ArtMan617
May 30, 2002, 07:37 AM
Actually, the 617 stands for my birthday...I am in Princeton

-ArtMan617