Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on my opinion on my macbook as well as ask a question.ive had it for two weeks on thursday. for those of you who dont care about my opinion ill ask the question first.

I have the 250gb harddrive but i only have about 190gb left. it seems like there are alot of unnessecary files somewhere but im not sure where. i havent really installed alot of things or put alot of music on it. how can i check for duplicate files and things to delete easily? im still getting used to mac as this is my first one. is there any routine maintenance i should perform on my mac and if so how often? i did some restore permissions (whatever that is) and it took forever. im pretty handy with pcs, fixing building upgrading, improving and such but with macs this is a whole new ball game for me.

also lately it seems like double tapping to click isnt working lately (yes i have it enabled) anything i should do to diagnose or try to fix it?

as for my opinion on my macbook im almost completly satisfied. Things i'm not happy with are

Sharp Edge on palm rest. (seems like there should be at least an .0625 radius on it. baffles me why they didnt do it.)

Fingerprint magnet. (not good since im a machinist and usually come home covered in a mixture of coolant,cutting oil and metal chips.)

Fan. (It seems to get extremely loud lately while using it on my bed.)

Safari. It looks nice. works ok but doesnt have support for hotmail which is my main email app and has been for years.

Mail - No support for hotmail again. It seems like too much trouble to switch EVERYTHING from my main emails to a new mac email address.

iphoto - seems like it isnt a good equivalent to at least a paint app where i can easily edit something in a generic color photo. unless im missing something.

itunes - hard to navigate. ive never used itunes before but coming from a person who had a zune30 and a currently owns a zune80 i do have to admit that i think the zune software is far ahead of itunes in terms of navigation. although itunes and the old zune software actually had tag editing which i used constantly. (im a neat freak when it comes to music library organization)

isight- not as good quality as i thought it was. could be my lighting.

Now i just realized that that list seems extremely long. But there are things i really like and dont know how i lived without.

Battery Life. Wow. Amazingly good. My old acer aspire 3003lci sucked at battery life. this thing blows it out of the water.

Trackpad two finger scrolling. i love this feature. im not sure if it is on other laptops but since the macbook lacks a scroll button like my previous acer ive gotten used to this feature very quickly and love it.

Spell Check. This is awesome since lately ive been doing searches online and obviously need to spell things correctly.

Form Factor/Portability. i love the size of it. plain and simple.

Dock is nice and handy. does seem alot less cluttered.

Updating. Since im formly a pc guy im used to formatting my pc installing windows xp and updating it about once a year maybe less. clear out the registrry blah blah usual sutff. updating xp takes FOREVER. right when i started and set up my mac i checked for updates dreading it would be like xp but to my surprise and relief only a couple updates which took only about 20min.

Well thats all i can think of for now. overall i am very pleased with my macbook. hopefully my gripes will be fixed, or ill learn to live with them. thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions. your help is greatly appreciated.

any feedback, comments or questions on my quick but hopefully informative review?

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
any feedback, comments or questions on my quick but hopefully informative review?

all i really read was the itunes thing and ur on crack if u think itunes is hard to navigate macs are so much user friendly than pc but alll i have to say is get used to it thats what i did and the fact that alot of things are self explanatory if ur looking for a file u type it in the finder its there ............ and theres no fixing things unless i dont really know what can go wrong but we have had macs for 3 or 4 years and nothing ever happened to them and i have an 8 year old imac g3 350mhz and nothing has happened to it u will find that its easy to maintian things but there might be things u have installed wrong or more than once and those kinda things that might be taking up your hdd or if u do torrents and start one it takes the space it needs and if u stop it , still takes the space so its things like those that take up urr space sry for rambling on and for things like iphoto well i use photoshop but like its easy to get if u like not paying for things and ur bocking the air flow explaining the fan going on to cool it down and use firefox its free and way i mean WAY Better than safari , safari is like internet explorer
:D

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Let me try to help you with iTunes without horrible grammar and such.

Finding things is painfully simple..It uses the search in the right corner, which is basically like Spotlight, and by just typing in a bit, you can find anything in your library. Uses basic ID3 tagging and stuff, I believe. Perhaps I don't understand the issue, but I can't imagine having trouble keeping your iTunes library organised..What is wrong with it?

Edit: Don't listen to the above poster. Download <a href=www.opera.com>Opera</a> and be prepared for the awesomeness that is the greatest browser ever. As soon as they work out the few kinks left in the Mac version (hopefully with the next update) there won't be any reason to use any other browser (which are conveniently renamed "sucks" on my Macbook).

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
all i really read was the itunes thing and ur on crack if u think itunes is hard to navigate macs are so much user friendly than pc but alll i have to say is get used to it thats what i did and the fact that alot of things are self explanatory if ur looking for a file u type it in the finder its there ............ and theres no fixing things unless i dont really know what can go wrong but we have had macs for 3 or 4 years and nothing ever happened to them and i have an 8 year old imac g3 350mhz and nothing has happened to it u will find that its easy to maintian things but there might be things u have installed wrong or more than once and those kinda things that might be taking up your hdd or if u do torrents and start one it takes the space it needs and if u stop it , still takes the space so its things like those that take up urr space sry for rambling on and for things like iphoto well i use photoshop but like its easy to get if u like not paying for things and ur bocking the air flow explaining the fan going on to cool it down and use firefox its free and way i mean WAY Better than safari , safari is like internet explorer
:D

Amazing. So many words, so little punctuation.
Dude - we're not texting each other here (or should I say, "txting"). There are many letters on the keyboard to choose from. Try a few, they're good.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Amazing. So many words, so little punctuation.
Dude - we're not texting each other here (or should I say, "txting"). There are many letters on the keyboard to choose from. Try a few, they're good.

i have better things to do like fail english class :D jjk but i dont waste my time on spelling and puntuation wen i type fast and its not like u cant understand what im typing

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You can try to use FireFox instead of Safari. I use both only because I have 2 email accounts so each one is tied to either browser. I hate signing out then signing back in in the same browser so that works out fine. Firefox seems to run better for me and I actually prefer it over Safari. Also you should also have no problems or issues with Hotmail in Firefox.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Another vote for Firefox. Speaking of iTunes, does anyone know a kb shortcut to reach the search function? In Firefox, it's Apple+K.

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
itunes isnt hard to find my songs and keep organized. im just so used to zune after two years of it and never using itunes. and i honestly just think zune is more intuitive in this department. like i was playing a video and in the middle of the video i looked all over for a button to quit out the vid and show my library again. then i realized esc did the trick. lol personally i do like the zune software better. oh well. i have beeen using firefox because i too have two emails linked together in hotmail and hate signing out then back in. i did try one of the mail tricks to get it to work but i couldnt get it to recognize a server.

also as i said before i am in love with my mac. i actually turn my desktop pc off now and use my macbook. im not saying its not user friendly in the least or that i dont like it. my main point to this post was how i feel about certain things after about two weeks of full use. its all stuff i can get used to eventually.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
also as i said before i am in love with my mac. i actually turn my desktop pc off now and use my macbook. im not saying its not user friendly in the least or that i dont like it. my main point to this post was how i feel about certain things after about two weeks of full use. its all stuff i can get used to eventually.

Let us know your feedback after say 6 months. Right now your on a learning curve after switching. I found after several months just how truly amazing OSX really is. Now I could never go back to windows except fort having to use it on my job! YUK!!! I will say that while at work using windoze IM constantly reminded why I switched to a MAC!
After 2 1/2 years in the mac world, it has been nothing but enjoyable! Best of luck with your mac(s)!--)) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.