Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keyvanyaldai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
My macbook crashed while I was watching SNL, So I manually shut it of, but now when I turn it on, I get the grey screen for a LONG while then the APPLE LOGO, after that a "smokeless" non-smoking sign, you know the circle with the dash in the middle and then after a couple of minutes...

A FOLDER WITH A QUESTION MARK (OVER IT), AND THE QUESTION MARK APPEARS AND DISSAPPEARS, AND SO FORTH

I read that it had something to do with the instalation CD and that if I popped that in it woul reboot, maybe as new, with the Hard drive wiped out?

Any suggestions, similar pproblems and should I take it to a tec guy?

Thanks

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
First of all, I hope you had a backup.

Secondly, pop your Tiger/Leopard disk in, and see if you can reach Disk Utility. From there, you can run tests to see if the (hard) disk is damaged.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
The flashing question mark usually means that the computer can't find the system software on the hard disk or any disks attached to the computer. First hold down the power button for about 8-10 seconds. Disconnect all external peripherals and try restarting by pressing the power button while holding down the OPTION Key. When your computer starts up, click the hard disk icon, and then click the right arrow. After the computer starts up, open System Preferences and click Startup Disk. Select a local Mac OS X System Folder.

If that doesn't work, try using the Disk Utility to repair the disk. Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 into your computer; restart the computer and hold down the C key as it starts up; Choose Installer>Open Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens, follow the instructions in the First Aid pane to see if Disk Utility can repair the disk.

If this doesn't work, you need to reinstall your computer's system software. Keep us advised! :eek:

keyvanyaldai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I Poped in disc 1 and when it began instaling it asked me for a destination and thehre was no hard drive icon, the i tried disk repai, found the hard drive but it said canot repair, the underlying task reported failure oon exit and it also says the volume needs repair?

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I Poped in disc 1 and when it began instaling it asked me for a destination and thehre was no hard drive icon, the i tried disk repai, found the hard drive but it said canot repair, the underlying task reported failure oon exit and it also says the volume needs repair?

Start from your install disk, then you disc utility and see if you can repair the macbook hard drive.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I really hope you're hard drive isn't screwed! What sounds is the drive making when it is turned on? Is it humming loudly? Is it clicking excessively?

It could be your hard drive has crashed.

ducatigirl

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
My Macbook has Crashed Too!!! HELP

Today while check emails i got an odd error message saying that it couldnt open some URL and then when i tried to log into my email account it just got the pretty little rainbow circle and it just froze on that. so i did a hard reboot and thats when i got the same prob as the other guy, a lovely grey screen after the start up music and nothing else. i tried putting in the install disk 1 and press C but got nothing but a picture of a file and a flasing ? in the center of the screen. any ideas???

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Today while check emails i got an odd error message saying that it couldnt open some URL and then when i tried to log into my email account it just got the pretty little rainbow circle and it just froze on that. so i did a hard reboot and thats when i got the same prob as the other guy, a lovely grey screen after the start up music and nothing else. i tried putting in the install disk 1 and press C but got nothing but a picture of a file and a flasing ? in the center of the screen. any ideas???

Sounds like another dead hard disk - are you doing a restart while holding down C ?

The folder with the question mark means the Mac can't find a system on the hard disk - if you start up holding down C it should start from the install DVD (which is in the dvd drive) and then you can either try to install or more like find that the hard disk is dead - any clicking noises ??

ducatigirl

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
no clicking noises when i tried to reboot using the OS CD and holding down the C key. no noise at all except the start up music

did try to do the ping PRAM and it did reboot to black screen then music then grey screen, but nothing else.

leatherwood877

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
mac problems

I cant get the mouse and the question box to come up at the same time. If I hold down the OPTION key the mouse will appear but the box never will. If I just wait then the box comes. Any suggestions?

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
all i have to say is ur hdds are probably toast if ur still underwarntee take it in and or u might have to buy a new hdd which could be cheap or expensive depends what hd u get but seriously maybe you could slide it out and put it back in or take it out and see if any of the connections are screwed up on the hard drive this happened to my 60gb 3.5 on my old imac i dont know why but when i plug it into a exteernal case it says its a 2tb usb 2 drive in disc utility and will not repair or eraase it pisses me off majorly cause i only got it a year ago

Ferrari83

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
Most likely is your HDD crash! It's time for you to upgrade to 320gb :)

*My Macbook also crash after i upgraded to 4gb RAM not HDD. Leopard corrupt just because of the RAM and reformat :(

davhorgan

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
I'm in final year of college, so do a lot of research on my macbook. I was finishing a 5000 word assignment when my Macbook stalled and decided to eat my essay by killing the hdd. (although I am partly to blame as after 10 or so minutes of waiting for it to come back around, I powered it off.) I got the question mark folder...aka the folder of doom. It was unable to mount the hdd, so I had to get another one.:(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Being unable to mount the hard drive is not a sure sign that you have to get a new one. A blank, unformatted hard drive can't be mounted. A hard drive with bad boot sectors or a hosed directory can't be mounted. But they can be repaired, most of the time.

maccrashed

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
mac ibook 2002 crashed

i was turning my mac on one day and a screen came up saying we are paniking and other stuff and i dont know what to do..:confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.