Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
when logging in you see...

The function that you are currently trying to use is disabled and will be back shortly.

We are making some minor changes to this section so please bear with us until we can get it back online.

Please do NOT email me about this. Just wait it out. Apr 2, 2008 -Tom

and not an isolated occurrence

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
No, MySpace sucks simply because MySpace sucks. No doubt the biggest waste of bandwidth on the planet. Well, besides all those idiots running around with pockets full of invisible Linden Dollars.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
They BOTH suck. WHy the heck would you want to put your personal information on the web for everyone and they mother to see?

I'll never understand you young whippersnappers!! :confused:

HaGG

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
I don't have a myspace account, but If I find a band I like and want to hear there latest release I sometimes check them out there myspace.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't have a myspace account, but If I find a band I like and want to hear there latest release I sometimes check them out there myspace.

Same... I deleted my Myspace. It didn't really help me stay in touch with anyone. Too much drama. Not good for my emotional health. I'm on a standing no thank you to any more of these services....

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA

That is exactly what MySpace was meant to be intially - a place to find bands and discover new music.

However, it quickly became a huge social network of pedophiles and hookers.

So, I deleted my account on January 29 - International Delete MySpace Day.

I certainly don't miss it.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Myspace was copied in part from Friendster, now popular in Asia but circa 2002 to 2004 was the #1 social networking site. Developers of that site (eUniverse employees) started MySpace with with a creative revenue model that made it number one from 2004 to present in the genre we call social networking. Music (i.e. peer to peer exchange and band promotion) was not the focus, just a highlighted feature popular from Friendster, and improved upon by the smart folks from eUniverse. The social networking aspect which originally involved the myspace employees to post their own personal pages to get things rolling is what defines myspace and distinguishes it from the competition at this point.

I am one of those who understands the attraction, recognizes the historic value of utilizing technology to create web 2.0, and respects the goal of using the Internet to bring people together, a noble cause. However, I'm also one of those cautious adults who understands the dark side of human behavior and the danger of social networking sites.

If you're promoting a band, that's one thing. If you're promoting YOU, that's another.

-jim

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I have an account merely so I can say I tried and therefore have a basis for saying it sucks. I only have fake information on my profile too. The only fun thing I do with the account is report every message I get and call them spam, but that's quite limited on the fun scale.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
No, MySpace sucks simply because MySpace sucks. No doubt the biggest waste of bandwidth on the planet. Well, besides all those idiots running around with pockets full of invisible Linden Dollars.

I agree, MySpace suck for the simple fact that it sucks....

It is a serious waste of bandwidth but a very popular one, for the record I've only every used LinkedIn.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Myspace is a horrible excuse for a web site. The design is not user centric, there are too many ads, and users have too much control over the page layout.

My eyes literally hurt when I go there to see a friend's page. I use Facebook off and on and it's 5x better than Myspace simply because my eyes aren't bombarded with 25 colors, ads, and annoying music.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Okay I'll add my .02,
I am a teacher and I find all these networks to be a very negative even dangerous thing for teens. They all seem to think that is great and can't wait to get an account and post their photos and profiles. Parents and teachers don't seem to be able to control it much.
That bothers me.

domain

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Why the heck would you want to put your personal information on the web for everyone and they mother to see?

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

MySpace/FaceBook (and the like) are probably the greatest social engineering experiments ever conducted; rather then asking people for their personal information, why not just have them [willfully] put it out there without asking?

I for one am absolutely amazed at the type of information people are willing to give up on these sites... name, age, location, birthdate, personal history, blog/journal of daily activities... even photos... it truly boggles the mind. Whats worse, when I try to explain to people I encounter that participate in these sites, they rarely understand the gravity of the situation (as a simple example, next time you are accessing private information via the web, think about what types of security questions they ask).

For the "oldtimers" amongst us, the goal was to try to keep ourselves as anonymous as possible online... I've often pondered why such a generational gap exists, and all that comes to mind is that rather then becoming more technologically savvy, kids that grew up with computers just see them as some sort of everyday appliance; I truly fear for the current generation in this respect.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Okay I'll add my .02,
I am a teacher and I find all these networks to be a very negative even dangerous thing for teens. They all seem to think that is great and can't wait to get an account and post their photos and profiles. Parents and teachers don't seem to be able to control it much.
That bothers me.

I'm a tech dir in a school district, and EVERY social site is blocked. Nothing I have seen in all my years in the business will convince me that crap like MySpace has an atom of value either technologically or culturally... well, beside being a wasteland for lost souls and the misguided.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
They BOTH suck. WHy the heck would you want to put your personal information on the web for everyone and they mother to see?

What personal information? The only thing "personal" on my Facebook account is my name and a generic email address. That's it.

No mailing address.
No phone number.
No chat usernames.

Remember, you can control what you display. Don't blame the product for people misusing it, blame the people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.