Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonyPaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hello,

I am trying to set up a colleagues Mac to be able to use Windows XP. We are using bootcamp - it gets to Windows fine however the Windows update wizard appears and her mouse freezes - it won't accept keyboard inputs either.

So, is there anyway to overcome this?

Also, if she reboots, it does a soft windows restart (i.e you hear the shutting down theme) and then boots back into windows! So we have effectively entered a vicious circle!!

Assuming i cannot fix this, how can we set it to go back into Mac OS

I am concerned I have just wrecked her machine along with a few days work.

thanks in advance!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Had you installed the drivers from the Leopard install DVDs before you tried using Windows update?

If nothing else, holding Option on the keyboard as the machine boots (immediately after you hear the first chime) will let you select which volume you want to boot.

AntonyPaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks, Ill try the options button. i am having to do this all over the phone and it doesn't help being a mac novice.

The mac came pre setup with bootcamp and XP on a partition so I would have hoped that they would have done this! will need to check

cheers

Odisey

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Setting a machine

Don't worry at all. You can always set it back to the Mac OS.
Search for install procedures here.

You can also Google BootCamp Wins install Manual and find a step by step procedure for the install. Maybe you forgot a set - as mentioned the drivers.

I did not install the drivers when I installed - and had a problem.

You should find answers here.

Odisey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.