Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Ok i have a 12" PowerBook, the description is on my signature. I mainly use it for making music on Reason and surfing the web. Should I upgrade the hardrive to 100/120/160gb for about 100 uk pounds or put that money towards buying a blackbook and selling this beloved 12 PowerBook, which IMO still looks the business, but is a little weak on drive space and speed :cool:

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Ok i have a 12" PowerBook, the description is on my signature. I mainly use it for making music on Reason and surfing the web. Should I upgrade the hardrive to 100/120/160gb for about 100 uk pounds or put that money towards buying a blackbook and selling this beloved 12 PowerBook, which IMO still looks the business, but is a little weak on drive space and speed :cool:

My immediate response is "save your money for the macbook" as I can't imagine upgrading such an old system. I think a lot of people will tell you to upgrade to intel. But, how long will it take you to save up for a macbook? 100 pounds is a lot less than 1,000 and I don't know your income level. If you make a lot of money, then go macbook. If making music on your laptop is how you make your money, then go macbook. If you are on a very tight budget, and the PB meets your needs nicely except for the HDD space, then get the larger HDD.

my 2 cents.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Sell that for around $400 - $500 and then take the $$$ and buy a refurbed MacBook.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Buy a new MB, your PB has served you well, but after you go through the trouble of installing a new HDD you'll see shortcomings in other areas that'll never end. Save your $$$$ (or your Sterling) and get an MB.

How do you do the British pound sign on a US PC keyboard?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I agree with selling the computer, it's worth a good £200-£250 in my opinion, as people still go nuts for the portable design. I think as far as post-recording goes, you'd benefit greatly from the speed of the newer machine as well as the more generous HD space.

P.S. control+3 does the £ for me here in the US :)

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I agree with selling the computer, it's worth a good £200-£250 in my opinion, as people still go nuts for the portable design. I think as far as post-recording goes, you'd benefit greatly from the speed of the newer machine as well as the more generous HD space.

I just bought my used 1.5 GHz 80GB PB for $470 US, which was a little bumped around the edges. I think that demand for anything under 1 GHz is significantly lower however. But, yeah, see what you can get for it.

UberGeek9

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
US
I also have to agree with everyone else... You should save up for the Macbook. I just got one about a week ago (my first Mac) and I have to say I love it!

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
If it was a 1.5 GHz processor with 1.25 GB of RAM, upping the hard drive would be an effective way to get another year (or maybe 2) out of your PB.

But that's not the case. Sell the PB, get the MacBook. I've been seeing the 2.2 SR BlackBook refurb in the US for $1050. That's the sweet spot, IMHO.

mrmids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
UK
thanks for the responses everyone, yeah, I will go for the blackbook, have been thinking about doing this for a while, my flatmate is getting quite annoyed with my constant questions about his, but have now been nicely nudged to do so, so farewell to the powerbook, going to get a refurb or new one in the Q3 of the year, but feel quite sad that I have to let this little workhorse/exceptional piece of design go....gotta move forwards:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.