PDA

View Full Version : logic express external midi

abolit
Apr 2, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi All,

I just got Logic Express installed on my new macbook.
It seems the Logic doesn't recongize the midi file recorded on my Yamaha Tyros2.
When I open the file it loads it's own GM sounds instead. (Yamaha is hooked via USB with driver installed).
How can I use Yamaha's sound bank instead of internal Logic's voices?
Should I map the instruments manually?

Thank you!

John.B
Apr 3, 2008, 03:23 AM
???

MIDI is just data about what key was pressed, how long it was held down, etc. There is no "sound" on a MIDI connection -- until you wire it to a sound.

You could reset the instrument sound (i.e. grand piano) that the MIDI data is playing from inside Logic Express.

You could also connect the MIDI out from your Mac back to the MIDI in of the Yamaha and play it the built-in voice (sound) back to the Yamaha that way. Depending on what MIDI data you captured its possible to record which program setting (i.e. instrument voice) you were playing in order to play it back to the Yamaha.

HTH

TheAngusBurger
Apr 3, 2008, 03:40 AM
It can also be used to transfer voices.

For example, you could have a keyboard connected via MIDI to loads of others, and you could use the keyboard to control all of their voices. I think

And yes, it does also transmit ASDR data.

-Teh Burgeh

abolit
Apr 4, 2008, 06:31 AM
Thank you guys for fast response!
Just want to clarify a little what I meant in my post.
I recorded the midi file on my Yamaha Tyros first. Then I save it on the Flash Card.
After that I loaded this file into Logic Express expecting the MIDI file to be played back exactly the way I recorded it.
I can do it easy on my Sonar 7 , it uses SysEx to recognize all the data from the midi file and once it's loaded into Sonar it playes the same way it was recorded.

Can I achieve this result in Logic Express?? Do I need aditional software to help Logic to separate the midi channels of something?

Thank you all and sorry for confusion!

Vlad

TheAngusBurger
Apr 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
Ah.

I'm not sure about the Tyros, but I know that my (cheap) Yamaha saves MIDI files in a weird format that can't be played back in other software.

I haven't got Logic though, still on a PC (:mad:), so I'm afraid I can't help.:(

Loge
Apr 4, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have loaded files created by a Yamaha Clavinova, which I would imagine be similar to Tyros files and they load up fine in Logic. Each channel gets its own track in Logic - I usually then reassign instruments. Some data, eg chord/lyrics are ignored by Logic, but I do get a usable file that I can tweak in Logic and then send back to the Clavinova.

dwitko
Nov 23, 2008, 11:38 AM
I wonder if this every got resolved (this original thread is quite old). I am having the same kind of problem. I recently migrated to a Logic Express 8 and I have a lot of old midi files that I want Logic to play on an external midi sound module.

Yes midi is just note data, etc. But Logic has 2 kinds of midi: internal midi playback using software instruments and external midi routing it to an external module. When you create a NEW midi track you have the option of specifying which kind you want. But when I read in an already existing .mid file it seems that Logic automatically converts it into an internal midi file and will only play it back with its own esx sounds.

So is it possible to convert an internal midi esx track into an external midi track and play it to a sound module?

Thanks

abolit
Nov 24, 2008, 09:19 AM
Dwitko,

You should hold the option key down when importing you midi files into Logic if you want the Logic not to load the internal midi instruments by default.
The logic then creates external midi channels for you.
All you have to do is just map the midi channels to your external midi banks.
The logic uses GM instrument by default. If you want your keyboard preset sounds, you should use the custom bank messages in environment window to configure the banks. Use your keyboard voice list.

Hope it helps.