Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrindfuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hi ... I have a G4 Powerbook, Titanium 15". I'm not positive of the processor speed right now ... running OS 10.2.8.

I started having problems with it a few weeks ago ... crashed a couple of times and I decided that it must be the hard drive. I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled OS 10.2 and then ran all the necessary updates. I was using it for one day and then my monitor stopped working. I can't remember what initiated this issue ... I think it was in sleep mode and when I woke it up, it was just a grey screen. I tried many things without any luck ... it will not start from Nortons Emergency disk, will not start in safe mode, will not start from original disks. I can't remember if I tried to start it with the Hard Disk Recovery disks, or not. I have not tried to attach it to another monitor, just because I don't have access to one and I also have not yet tried to start it via Target Disk Mode, just because since it won't start in safe mode, I didn't think that would work anyways. When I try to restart it, I do hear the chime at start and at one point, I could also hear my email chimes/alarms in the background, but I just couldn't see anything.

After reading lots of postings, I decided that it must be a bad display so I located a replacement and actually replaced that. But, when I tried to restart, I had the same grey screen! Then I was reading on another post about trying the reset button underneath the keyboard ... I tried that and now I have a black screen, not grey any more. I still hear chimes on the start, but not sure if I've heard any email alarms, or not. I don't think I've left it on long enough to test that for sure.

So .... my question is does this sound like a logic board issue? If I'm getting a chime at start, can it still be a bad logic board? Or, could it just be a bad cable that controls the display? Since I could hear my software alarms, I'm thinking that the hard drive and OS is ok, but I just can't see anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jrindfuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
How to replace logic board?

I was thinking the same thing, and I don't have any problem replacing the logic board. I actually had it out already when I replaced the display ... but is it that straight forward? Just locate a new one, pull out the old and replace? Seems too easy .. I know I need to be careful with how I handle it and with getting everything back into the right places, but is there anything else I need to know? I was reading somewhere about a paste to put between the board and processor? What is that about?

Any help or suggestions is very much appreciated!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Just just called in my Powerbook 1.25, to Apple to get fixed. My Airport port quit working. They told me it would be $385 to get my motherboard replaced. $100 just to look at it, non-refundable mind you, and another $200+ for the install+labor.

Suddenly, a newer Macbook is looking better to me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.