Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappa76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
St. Louis
Ok, so I've dumped my rusty old Sony surround system & upgraded to the new Philips Soundbar to not only consolidate all of those satellite speakers but also to get all the great connections I need for my junk.

Well, Ironically enough, it doesn't have the connectors I need for my ATV hookup which sucks since my whole system consists of ATV & my Philips Plasma.

the ATV has an optical out, the Philips Soundbar only has a Coaxial in. Hooray for technology.

So my question is....how can I get around this? I want to maintain a digital connection for surround so I don't want to use the analog connection. Is there anyway to convert an optical to coaxial? Either that or would running a digital coaxial from my TV audio out to the Soundbar work since my ATV is connected to the TV?

I really don't like the idea of using the Soundbar for perm TV speakers but if I have no choice then that's what I'll have to do.

Thoughts, suggestions, words of damnation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.