PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone Users Do All but Talk

MacBytes
Apr 3, 2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple iPhone Users Do All but Talk (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080403093508)
Description:: Users of Apple's iPhone are using the device to do everything but talk on the phone, according to a new study, transforming the product into a mobile entertainment platform rather than just a cellular phone.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

xUKHCx
Apr 3, 2008, 08:45 AM
This is most definitely true here. On my old phone it was probably more like 90% but now on my iPhone it is probably less than the 46.5% quoted.

Sayer
Apr 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
I keep telling my wife to send email instead of calling or even texting someone with my iPhone.

Phone calls are so last-century.

UCLA-Bruin
Apr 3, 2008, 09:22 AM
That's why I have a cheap $29 T-mobile phone and an iPod Touch. I spend 90% of my workweek around hotspots - though it would be nice to have the maps feature work when I'm on the road...but not worth it until my contract expires - maybe.

Clix Pix
Apr 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
I definitely get my money's worth with my iPhone, which I sure didn't with my old cell phone. I use the iPhone all the time for checking email, sometimes reading MR and other forums, for running quick Google searches, playing iTunes or watching a video....and occasionally I make or receive a phone call on it. In contrast, my old cell phone was pretty useless as far as the internet was concerned and I didn't get or make all that many calls on it. I consider the iPhone a real jewel and I don't leave home without it.

shiseiryu1
Apr 3, 2008, 10:14 AM
I totally agree; I use the iPhone to check mail, browse internet, watch youtube. I rarely talk on it; however, when I do I usually use the earbuds because the phone is comfortable held to my ear. :(

brn2ski00
Apr 3, 2008, 10:15 AM
This is directly related to the person buying the iPhone.

They should come up with a study on why people actually bought it: to actually use it or be one with the masses :cool:

killmoms
Apr 3, 2008, 10:17 AM
I actually talk a lot more on my iPhone than I did on my old cell phone, but I think that's just due to life circumstances than anything else. I certainly use it for mobile web browsing, e-mail and Google Maps a lot though.

twoodcc
Apr 3, 2008, 10:20 AM
i get my money's worth from my iPhone as well. but i do talk some on it. i think i use around 1200 minutes a month (at least that was last month).

change
Apr 3, 2008, 11:26 AM
It's not that i use the phone less, it's that i use the other things so much more!

quagmire
Apr 3, 2008, 03:32 PM
I rarely talk on my iPhone and just use it for its internet capabilities. Mostly because I baby it. I still have my old LG for school and work( prevent my hard earned $628 from being stolen or damaged). But, I use it on the weekend for everything else. Text, call, etc. It is also nice when internet goes out I can use EDGE to access the internet which you poor iPod Touch users can't. :p

Clix Pix
Apr 3, 2008, 03:42 PM
This is directly related to the person buying the iPhone.

They should come up with a study on why people actually bought it: to actually use it or be one with the masses :cool:

I was one of the many who waited in line on June 29th to get my iPhone....when I read about it and watched Steve Jobs' Keynote speech in which he featured it, the thing which immediately stood out for me was that this was more than a phone, this was more than a fancier iPod, in fact it was a small computer that I could carry in my pocket. The internet access via WiFi and/or EDGE really won me over. I have not been disappointed....

MattInOz
Apr 3, 2008, 05:08 PM
Been searching the interweb for the same study on other smartphones?

Has anyone seen any study on how many blackberry users carry two phones for personnel/business use?
or for text and voice in seperate devices?

Is the market just under the impression that smartphones are good smart mobile devices but crap phones?

solvs
Apr 5, 2008, 12:11 AM
I use the web for email and stuff on mine, but it is a phone first.

zainjetha
Apr 5, 2008, 01:49 AM
seemingly strange i talk a hell of alot more now that i have an iPhone.... but i also send a hell of a lot of texts.... but predominantly its my iPod, and my phone...

twoodcc
Apr 6, 2008, 02:36 PM
really i'm trying to talk more, since i am paying for my minutes.

Peace
Apr 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
I do everything on my iPhone including talking. Great device.

I made breakfast on it this morning.

solvs
Apr 7, 2008, 02:16 AM
really i'm trying to talk more, since i am paying for my minutes.
Yeah, I wish there was something in between 450min and 900, because 900 is overkill for me, but 450 isn't enough.