Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Everyday now since i've installed panther i've been getting this message in like fi ve different languages that tells me to hold down the power button on my 15" AlPB.

Any suggestions?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
those are called "kernel panics".

have you tried the standard two; repairing permissions and fsck -y?

normally i'd suggest a hardware issue, like bad ram, but this sounds very definitely software...

pnw

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
fsck -y doesnt seem to work with panther.... or is it just me?

because it wouldnt do it for me and I was very confused

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by teabgs
fsck -y doesnt seem to work with panther.... or is it just me?

because it wouldn't do it for me and I was very confused

i am a former apple warranty technician and i compare notes with an apple developer and like many first versions of a software title, panther has its problems, but 10.3.1 should address some issues people have had with panther

not since the osx beta have i heard so many bad comments about an operating system and it's a shame that apple put panther out before it was properly tested for bugs...the apple repair shops where i live in northern california are getting the worst hell from the customers over panther and i hate to say it, but until apple gets their act together and patch this monster up, i would rather use windows XP becuase it's far more stable than panther:(

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
is it on by default?

thanks by the way

...but I still loathe panther until they fix it...

If you did a clean install, yes.

It's working OK for me, but I've believed from the get go that 7B85 should not have been the GM.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
If you did a clean install, yes.

It's working OK for me, but I've believed from the get go that 7B85 should not have been the GM.

I did an archive install. And have had way too many problems.

Apple should never have released this as GM. there is no way they did not know about these problems.

They rushed it, and we suffer from loss of productivity (I dont have the time to wipe it and start over with Jag or I'll get behind so I have to deal with these issues until the fix is out), loss of money (it isn't worth $130, even if it were working perfectly it isnt more than a $75-80 upgrade in my opinion)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
I did an archive install. And have had way too many problems.

Apple should never have released this as GM. there is no way they did not know about these problems.

They rushed it, and we suffer from loss of productivity (I dont have the time to wipe it and start over with Jag or I'll get behind so I have to deal with these issues until the fix is out), loss of money (it isn't worth $130, even if it were working perfectly it isnt more than a $75-80 upgrade in my opinion)

with the bugs this os has, apple should rebate the money and recall the product

heck, even microsoft had to do that once:D

actually, apple should offter 10.4 free to those who paid for the first version of panther

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by jefhatfield
with the bugs this os has, apple should rebate the money and recall the product

heck, even microsoft had to do that once:D

actually, apple should offter 10.4 free to those who paid for the first version of panther

no kidding...

I dont know that it should be recalled..though they should stop selling it till 10.3.1

either refunding or giving 10.4 free would probably make amends for a lot of people...It seems to me like Apple is getting a little more like microsoft lately...they need to slow down a little, and I know their trying to move fast to make up fro moto slowing them down, but a few more weeks for a stable OS is worth it...

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Numbers ways, Jaguar was presumably a new install for the bulk of users, being more new and unknown, so there would probably have been less issues? Is that the case?

It´s just that one year on, glitches with people´s set ups in Jaguar isnt something Apple could necessarily allow for to the nth degree with Panther. Apart from the FW800 pandemonium, have the bulk of the people with problems upgraded on top of Jaguar?

Maybe they´d be better off and cut down potential problems by a mile just advocating a clean install. I know for me Panther has been pretty amazing starting from scratch.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by billyboy
Numbers ways, Jaguar was presumably a new install for the bulk of users, being more new and unknown, so there would probably have been less issues? Is that the case?

It´s just that one year on, glitches with people´s set ups in Jaguar isnt something Apple could necessarily allow for to the nth degree with Panther. Apart from the FW800 pandemonium, have the bulk of the people with problems upgraded on top of Jaguar?

Maybe they´d be better off and cut down potential problems by a mile just advocating a clean install. I know for me Panther has been pretty amazing starting from scratch.

some people only have Upgrade cd's....

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Panther is worth...

It's not great to do a rumors site a box ring wether or not panther rocks, as far as I know we pay for a whole way till 10.3.9, or before 10.4, in case apple won't do it free, then is not just a 130 bucks step from 10.2.8 to 10.3, its a whole system of new features and advances in a customer direction. just stop bothering with the that story that panther sucks, mr "I-know-all-and-will-use-xp" is boring to read the same in every post...:mad:

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
You got airport? I dont have panther yet but I know on the Rev A 12" powerbooks the airport card can come unseated and cause Kernal Panics galore. I would assume apple worked this out, but just thought i would mention it incase it could be the cause.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Panther is worth...

Originally posted by AmigoMac
It's not great to do a rumors site a box ring wether or not panther rocks, as far as I know we pay for a whole way till 10.3.9, or before 10.4, in case apple won't do it free, then is not just a 130 bucks step from 10.2.8 to 10.3, its a whole system of new features and advances in a customer direction. just stop bothering with the that story that panther sucks, mr "I-know-all-and-will-use-xp" is boring to read the same in every post...:mad:

actually, the more i learn about computers and software, the less i realize that i know...it's a big field

but unless you are in the field fixing computers, software, teaching computer classes...on macs and PCs daily, you have no idea what you are talking about...i used to be a mac zealot, when i didn't know anything, but it's hardly an "all macs and apple software rules" vs "all microsoft and PC stuff sucks" argument...it's not that black and white

but that being said, i wish for nothing more than for apple to be the best computer company in the world and i have high expectations for them...and when they fall short, i make a lot of noise because i know apple inc listens...unlike some "other" companies which may be bigger and richer;)

...and come on dude, your bio says you are an engineer, and if it has anything to do with high tech, you should know better and use your training to objectively look at the facts instead of fall for that apple is warm and fuzzzy and make the computers when the planets line up right and your rising sign is line with the magical panther os;) :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
...It seems to me like Apple is getting a little more like microsoft lately...they need to slow down a little, and I know their trying to move fast to make up fro moto slowing them down, but a few more weeks for a stable OS is worth it...

that is my fear, and apple inc is realizing it, unfortunately

i used to hate microsoft, but i have to say they have really gotten their act together and while that does not excuse some of the unethical things they have done in the past, i think a lot of the improvement with microsoft is a reaction to how many people feel negatively about microsoft's past monopolistic tendencies

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
AmigoMac: your sig states:

"It isn't against M$, it isn't against Bill windows, I want my computer to work and have fun, not to think about virus/hackers/worms/ and those bugs and OS crashes you buy without knowing... Apple rocks!"

Well.....with Panther guess what I have a lot of.....

did you figure it out yet?

you said it in your sig man.... "those bugs and OS crashes you buy without knowing"

Today is the first in 3 days where my computer hasn't frozen up while doing work and forced me to shut it down with the power button.....which I really DO NOT like to do and cold start.

know what else? its when I'm not only using panther which is apple's fault....but FINAL CUT PRO....you'd think a bunch of apple products all together should work flawlessly right? i did....but they arent.

Like jef I was a zealot too until I started frequenting this board and using PC's some of the time when doing 3D animation....though I prefer to do it on the mac still.

Jaguar was wonderful, but I'm very disappointed in Panther and in apple for releasing it as is

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
AmigoMac: your sig states:

"It isn't against M$, it isn't against Bill windows, I want my computer to work and have fun, not to think about virus/hackers/worms/ and those bugs and OS crashes you buy without knowing... Apple rocks!"

Well.....with Panther guess what I have a lot of.....

did you figure it out yet?

you said it in your sig man.... "those bugs and OS crashes you buy without knowing"

Today is the first in 3 days where my computer hasn't frozen up while doing work and forced me to shut it down with the power button.....which I really DO NOT like to do and cold start.

know what else? its when I'm not only using panther which is apple's fault....but FINAL CUT PRO....you'd think a bunch of apple products all together should work flawlessly right? i did....but they arent.

Like jef I was a zealot too until I started frequenting this board and using PC's some of the time when doing 3D animation....though I prefer to do it on the mac still.

Jaguar was wonderful, but I'm very disappointed in Panther and in apple for releasing it as is

the day i realized that i was completely blaming microsoft for everything bad in the world was when one day, my wife was a recipient to a free 6 month PC training program at bill gate's expense

microsoft bought her glasses, and also paid her while she was in class...i couldn't say they were completely evil anymore when here income quadrupled

of course, she learned all microsoft stuff...he he

i was in a dead end job and one day a microsoft recruiter bagged my butt and my income increased greatly...it has helped my life and that was another reason for me to realize that microsoft was not the embodiment of evil ;)

but it was at that point i stopped being a mac zealot and realized that some people use windows and actually like it and there are as many good things about windows/PCs as there are bad things

my life as a mac zealot for nearly 15 years , and apple computer zealot of 7 years before that blinded me to common sense and i was tired of having my baby, apple inc, get the tar beat out of them at every corner due to bill gates' smarts or sneakiness ;)

now all i have to do is realize that volvo is not the second coming of christ and then i could call myself an independent thinking human being

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by johnnowak
I donno man, that new R is lookin pretty nice. Safety AND power... I like it. It's still no M3 though.

oh no, here i am trying to teach an object lesson (from an ex- mac zealot to a current one) and you bring up the new volvo model...he he...i guess i have to stroke my touchy feely side more and not think but just enjoy the volvo zealot side of me...ooh, volvo, cool and sexy

oops...that came out wrong;) :p

...yes, i admit i am a volvo zealot...btw, what is an M3?

man, when amigo mac wakes up over there in europe, he's sure gonna be pissed :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
he he

i thought the term was a clever way to say the "f-word"

when i have a computer problem, i usually feel like saying the "s-word"

:eek: ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
hey wait, i can see it now...a real country music war ;)

dixie chicks: "fsck you toby keith!"

toby keith: "no fsck you, dixie chicks!!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.