PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Defects. The Saga Continues.

DMC-12
Apr 3, 2008, 03:22 PM
February 1, 2008: My refurbished, white, 2.2Ghz MacBook arrives. Everything is basically as it should be, except that the lid let the backlighting shine through all around the edges, and the iSight camera wouldn't record video without picking up interference "chirping" on the audio. I guess this is supposedly due to the mic and iSight interacting. After an ordeal with AppleCare, I was able to get a direct exchange. I later upgraded to a 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro instead.

February 13, 2008: My refurbiushed MacBook Pro arrives with bottom 1/3 of the display yellowed and dim, daily kernel panics, and failing to wake from sleep half of the time. Also, it had the inevitable MBP defect of the audio hiss/beeping from the headphone jack. After a bit of hassle, I was granted an exchange on the night before the Penryn releases, but I asked for a refund instead in order to get an imminent Penryn MacBook Pro.

March 6, 2008: I purchase my 2.4 GHz Penryn MBP. It had a horribly sealed case all around, headphone hiss and beeping, and fan/CPU whine. I returned this MBP no-questions-asked for another Penryn Pro.

March 14, 2008: I get the new MBP, only to see a case that has even worse case separation, headphone feedback, the same whining, a couple of kernel panics, dropped wi-fi connections, etc. After MUCH difficulty, I was able to receive a refund.

April 1, 2008: My refurbished 2.2 GHz black MacBook arrives. All is basically well, except that I can't get over how much dimmer the screen seems compared to the MBPs LED backlighting. Also, the iSight camera picks up even worse chirping noise than the original white MacBook.

I am using fairly high-end Sony MDR-7506 headphones, so they weren't the source of the hissing and beeping, plus this issue has been documented here at MacRumors. I also did multiple erase and installs + other procedures on each Mac in order to try and fix the problems.

I can barely stand the fact that this MB's iSight/mic has the same defect. I don't know if I should even try to get something done about this at this point, especially as I'm not sure that any of the recent MacBooks won't have this issue. What should I do?

hexonxonx
Apr 3, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wow, not sure what to tell you other than you have bad luck.

July 06, 2.2 MBP purchased from BestBuy. Perfect condition and today still has no problems.

February 10, iMac 20" purchased from BestBuy. Perfect condition.

April 3, Black MacBook arrived 30 minutes ago. Setup and using right now to type this. Also perfect condition with no defects as usual.

All my computers purchased new.

It's not unusual for a refurb to have problems from what I have read in all the forums. It should have a 1 year warranty like new. Good luck.

ryannel2003
Apr 3, 2008, 05:24 PM
I would continue talking to Apple until all your problems get solved. That seems like a really horrible case of bad luck, and it's unfortunately not uncommon from Apple these days. As for the refurbs, I just got mine and it's been perfect along with all of my other Apple products.

Sorry about all your problems.

heatmiser
Apr 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
If I were you, I'd have stopped buying Apple laptops 3 laptops ago. Why do this to yourself?

AlexanderTgreat
Apr 3, 2008, 05:34 PM
If I were you, I'd have stopped buying Apple laptops 3 laptops ago. Why do this to yourself?

people are suckers for punishment

Kalafut
Apr 3, 2008, 05:39 PM
knees to the floor, owned.

im sorry.

Thetics
Apr 3, 2008, 07:04 PM
email steve, include log, explain frustration. expect brand new Octo, 16gig Macpro (which you can forward to my address) and a new Macbook pro in 2 weeks =) enjoy.

Mackan
Apr 4, 2008, 12:20 AM
When you buy a refurbished notebook, doesn't that increase the chances that you get a machine that someone else wasn't satisfied with? For example, slightly warped case, uneven backlighting of the screen, abnormal fan noise, cpu whine, etc.

DMC-12
Apr 4, 2008, 01:26 AM
When you buy a refurbished notebook, doesn't that increase the chances that you get a machine that someone else wasn't satisfied with? For example, slightly warped case, uneven backlighting of the screen, abnormal fan noise, cpu whine, etc.

Logically, you would seem correct. However, Apple's refurbished machines have the reputation of having been thoroughly checked for problems and repaired well. The problem is, I think, that problems like the iSight issue are overlooked by the original owner, missed by the refurbishing team, and them passed on to me.