Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porsche1209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I feel guilty not making this blog in iWeb, but I started a blog:

http://intellectualbrouhaha.blogspot.com/

I've written a couple insightful entries, and I was just hoping for constructive criticism from this group. If you have any interesting blogs to mention, whether or not mac-related, feel free to post them here.

On a separate note, does anyone have the new photoshop elements for mac? How is it? I'm considering buying it.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Well, it's a Blogger page for sure.
  • The header image seems to have a lot of artifacts. Namely the blue area when it's near the other elements.
  • I'd increase the width of the reading area a little bit (maybe by 30-60px).
  • I'd decrease the line-height of the blog text a little as well, and increase the line-height for the quoted text.
  • The code seems to suffer from divitis and spanitis.
  • Wow, I validated the page and it found 416 errors, ouch. Not sure how much Blogger is to blame there.
  • It does have a nice simple look to it. I like blue.

Porsche1209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
I lowered the text size a little. I get the feeling that a majority of those errors are associated with one blog post that I copied from a research paper without many formatting corrections. Once I make a few more posts it will be pushed off the main page and all should be better. I made the header image in photoshop. I'm used to having high-resolution pictures and projects, but it looks like I'll have to go back and dumb down that image so it shows up in that small resolution.
I was looking at the html code and I'm having trouble figuring out how to expand the reading pane.
Here's the HTML it has on the posts:
/* Posts
-----------------------------------------------
*/
h2.date-header {
margin:1.5em 0 .5em;
}

.post {
margin:.5em 0 1.5em;
border-bottom:1px dotted $bordercolor;
padding-bottom:1.5em;
}
.post h3 {
margin:.25em 0 0;
padding:0 0 4px;
font-size:140%;
font-weight:normal;
line-height:1.4em;
color:$titlecolor;
}

.post h3 a, .post h3 a:visited, .post h3 strong {
display:block;
text-decoration:none;
color:$titlecolor;
font-weight:bold;
}

.post h3 strong, .post h3 a:hover {
color:$textcolor;
}

.post p {
margin:0 0 .75em;
line-height:1.6em;
}

.post-footer {
margin: .75em 0;
color:$sidebarcolor;
text-transform:uppercase;
letter-spacing:.1em;
font: $postfooterfont;
line-height: 1.4em;
}

.comment-link {
margin-$startSide:.6em;
}
.post img {
padding:4px;
border:1px solid $bordercolor;
}
.post blockquote {
margin:1em 20px;
}
.post blockquote p {
margin:.75em 0;
}

Darran

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Singapore
I never approve of bloggers using blogger. But in anycase, for your generic template, I think your header image should fill the borders to make it even complete.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I was suggesting decreasing the line-height (the space between lines of text), not the font-size. The size was fine, but now looks small.

As far as expanding the reading area, there seems to be two CSS parts that I see that can expand it. The width for #outer-wrapper, #header-wrapper, and #footer are both set to 660px. The #main-wrapper is set to 410px. The main wrapper is where the post is at from what I can tell. It'll take modifying at leas the widths of the CSS mentioned here and possibly some others.

I've never used or edited a Blogger site so not sure what you have control over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.