PDA

View Full Version : Millions delete all music files on Personal Computers

MacBytes
Nov 8, 2003, 12:21 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Millions delete all music files on Personal Computers (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/11/06/music.piracy.reut/index.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Chealion
Nov 8, 2003, 01:11 AM
Hahahaha.

I smell a lot of BS. How do they track deletions? Are they inserting viruses in every computer to keep stats? I didn't think so. I smell turning off the Shared Folder, not deleting items.

mainstreetmark
Nov 8, 2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Chealion
Hahahaha.

I smell a lot of BS. How do they track deletions? Are they inserting viruses in every computer to keep stats? I didn't think so. I smell turning off the Shared Folder, not deleting items.

They asked (in one study) 40,000 people and extrapolated the data to the whole US.

Just think in how much better shape we all woulda been in if the RIAA simply made a competitor for Napster that offered every tune in recorded history for sale at variable prices based on demand. Guys like me could get the 1992 Trashwomen recordings for free, or nearly free, while you suckers who like NSync would have to pay $2 per song.

birdherder
Nov 8, 2003, 11:27 AM
I'm not buying it either. For one thing the online panel NPD uses is mostly self selected so I'm thinking that sample grossed up to represent the country may be suspect.

Further, I wonder how the question is asked. That could introduce bias as well. Depending on how the asked, I might have answered that I deleted all of my music as well. After all, when the survey was in the field, there were news stories about people getting busted by the RIAA. What is the RIAA was a sponsor of the study? They might get my name! It isn't like you are perjuring yourself if you fib on a market research study.

[For the record I deleted all of my music as well -- even music I am legally entititled to have. Nothing to see here RIAA, move along.]

Blaaze
Nov 8, 2003, 12:44 PM
Just think in how much better shape we all woulda been in if the RIAA simply made a competitor for Napster that offered every tune in recorded history for sale at variable prices based on demand. Guys like me could get the 1992 Trashwomen recordings for free, or nearly free, while you suckers who like NSync would have to pay $2 per song. [/B]

I like this idea. I think?

eric_n_dfw
Nov 8, 2003, 12:49 PM
Maybe most Kazaa users don't realize that the thing is still installed and sharing "0" files. RIAA may be using the ratio of users to number or music files available today as opposed to 6 - 12 months ago or something.

Genie
Nov 9, 2003, 01:00 AM
I sure hope the RIAA isn't able to stop file-sharing.

I don't use Kazaa, but I think it's an expression of individual freedom.

goku
Nov 9, 2003, 09:38 AM
With all the crap from the RIAA if they asked me it would be sure I deleted all my files. While I filevault music folder.

MrMacMan
Nov 9, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Genie
I sure hope the RIAA isn't able to stop file-sharing.

I don't use Kazaa, but I think it's an expression of individual freedom.

RIAA or the MPAA or the BSA will never stop file sharing.

Nothing can be complete.

There are a good 8 Well known File Sharing services, if one falls 2-3 will take its place.

Genie
Nov 9, 2003, 08:25 PM
How's K A Z A A doing?