Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hawaii's Boy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
Kauai, Hawaii
Ohh yeah I forgot

forgot to tell you that I was saving up all my money to get it. I currently have $150.23 and was saving it up for os X 10.3, and I am only 14

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
If you have jaguar, theres not a reason for kids like us to upgrade, other than expose. Save up for an ipod used or new man! itll get you much more usage and benifits.

Hawaii's Boy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
Kauai, Hawaii
thanks but

thanks but I will just use my mom's Ipod. She knows and I know that it is hers cuz she had her name laser ingraved on the back of it. O and I was also wondering if they might ever sell expose as a software program that would be compatible for jaguar.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i do not think they would sell exposé as a "program".

it is a feature to make people buy panther.

be happy with jaguar. jaguar works. if you got a 2 year old (or older) mac (as long as panther is supported -> check out the apple site) then panther would be a good thing.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
If you are 14, I assume you are in school. Check to see if apple offers you a discount, in a lot of cases you can get panther for about $70.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
If you can't spare the cash consider asking for Panther around the holidays (Christmas, etc.). I've yet to upgrade to the final version (I'm waiting to send in the OS X Up-to-date form), but I've been using the beta since June and definitely like it more than Jaguar.
Originally posted by raptorhigh
If you are 14, I assume you are in school. Check to see if apple offers you a discount, in a lot of cases you can get panther for about $70.
Apple doesn't offer student discounts to anyone below college. Not something I'm particularly happy about. ;)

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
I was able to get a discount through my high school on Apple's Education Store. But, it seems like it only works if your school is registered.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by raptorhigh
I was able to get a discount through my high school on Apple's Education Store. But, it seems like it only works if your school is registered.
Apple has teacher discounts for K through 12 schools, but not student discounts. Student discounts are only available for college students.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Apple has teacher discounts for K through 12 schools, but not student discounts. Student discounts are only available for college students.

I'm sure that's quite a surprise to a few students who've already bought Panther for $69 and have it running. ;)

Maybe you should talk to your school's administration to have them register with Apple.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by bousozoku
I'm sure that's quite a surprise to a few students who've already bought Panther for $69 and have it running. ;)

Maybe you should talk to your school's administration to have them register with Apple.
My school (Oak Park River Forest High School) is registered with Apple. But there's no discount for students.
From The Apple Store for Education:
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

- Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
- School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
- PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
- Qualified homeschools
- Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool
Truth be told, Apple doesn't get too picky over who takes a student discount, and they've got no way of being sure whether or not you actually qualify if you buy from the webstore. That said, only "higher education" students qualify for the discount.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
If you're still in high school just enroll in a junior college course. Take photography or graphic design. You'll enter college with 3 more units and you'll get to claim you're a college student.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
My school (Oak Park River Forest High School) is registered with Apple. But there's no discount for students.

Truth be told, Apple doesn't get too picky over who takes a student discount, and they've got no way of being sure whether or not you actually qualify if you buy from the webstore. That said, only "higher education" students qualify for the discount.

Call Apple tell them what High School you're in and I can almost guarantee they will give you the discount. I know what it says online but what they do over the phone is quite different.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
Dont Buy

Don't upgrade, obviously it is not a finished piece of software as they give you the option to submit bug reports to Apple. Quite a few of my Prefs seem to be corrupting every so often, Keychain is pretty screwed I believe this is something to do with Filevault which I have now turned off. Still Mail crashes upon opening and it's just not on, not when I paid over £60 for this and its not a makor upgrade in terms of featues although it is faster especially on Startup.

If anyone knows of any fixes to the Filevault related problems except sit tight and hope Apple can fix it it would be great if you could let me know.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Dont Buy

Originally posted by yogi477
Don't upgrade, obviously it is not a finished piece of software as they give you the option to submit bug reports to Apple. Quite a few of my Prefs seem to be corrupting every so often, Keychain is pretty screwed I believe this is something to do with Filevault which I have now turned off. Still Mail crashes upon opening and it's just not on, not when I paid over £60 for this and its not a makor upgrade in terms of featues although it is faster especially on Startup.

If anyone knows of any fixes to the Filevault related problems except sit tight and hope Apple can fix it it would be great if you could let me know.

Did you do an upgrade install or a archive with pref copy? It seems that you are having what some would call legacy problems. Problems caused by legacy data being used by the new system. I have not had any of the problems that you are relating and have not heard anyone else that did a clean install have those problems.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
So what can I do now then?Still, these problems should simply not exist as I did not alter the default install at all. I do not want to have to wipe my disk and start again as I will have to go through backing up all my work and apps and I simply do not have time

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by yogi477
So what can I do now then?Still, these problems should simply not exist as I did not alter the default install at all. I do not want to have to wipe my disk and start again as I will have to go through backing up all my work and apps and I simply do not have time

Reinstall using the Archive install and deselect the option to copy your old prefs. This will install a new system and archive the old system including all your prefs. Your apps will be left alone. Once that is done your old system will be in a folder labeled 'previous system'. Simply copy the prefs that you absolutely have to have to the new system. I don't recommend copying much more then your mail-boxes to the new system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.