Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JON Birmingham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Last night I was just getting off the internet and listening to some music in iTunes when my Powerbook G4 decided to go to an all black screen with some text in the top Left-Hand corner of the screen.

This is what it says:

Darwin/BSD (XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX-Computer.local) (console)

login:

Just for security purposes I put X's where my name appears and it's asking for a login. I have tried typing my name and then attempting to put a password in, but it won't let me type anything in for the password. All I can do is hit enter and it says Login Incorrect and flashes a quick line of code or something and goes to the blue screen that you see right after your Mac loads up.

I honestly don't know what's going on. The only symptoms that I can describe that was happening right before this occurred was that the internet on Safari started chugging a little bit speed-wise. When I went into iTunes and was using the scroll bar to go through my music it was going a little slow too. After that I remember hitting the power on/off button to shutdown and moments later, instead of giving me the option to put the computer to sleep-restart-shut down it just did what I mentioned above.

I don't know if this is a virus, if my computer has been hacked or if I'm overplaying this in my mind, but I need the use of my comp this weekend to do work for a research paper and other assignments that have to be completed before class next week.

I know this sounds confusing, if someone needs me to post a picture of this to make any sense then i will try to. If anyone can assist me on this, it would be much appreciated.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Why dont you try taking it to applecare or call them up? I thik they are the only guys who knw? Not running leopard is it?

JON Birmingham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Dude, this is going to be where I sound like a noob, but all I can do is hold down the power button to auto shut it off after a few seconds.

The above poster, no, unfortunately I am not running my Powerbook with Leopard. The specs for my comp are too low to for it to run smoothly.

At this point is there any true way I can restart the computer by using some kind of hot key method that I don't know of?

JON Birmingham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Last question here, when I call Apple over the phone do they charge a premium to get a little help or is it free of charge.

I'm going to assume it's going to cost me a nice penny.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
You could see if you can access its disk in firewire mode and back-up your data if you have another mac, then re-install your OS.

I think this is what I would try, because I have no knowledge of what else to do other than call applecare and cry...

JON Birmingham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for all the replies people, I have to leave for class right now, but I will give this all a go and more then likely give Apple a call later if nothing that was mentioned here can resolve the issue.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.